What Oil Do You Use and Why?

What Oil Do You Run and Why?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Doesn't matter if you use synthetic, synthetic blend, conventional or witches brew (home blend) oils; we want to know what oil you use and why? Be specific, daily driver, high mileage, oil change interval, racing, towing, off road, oils additive package, base oil, oil consumption problems, mechanical noise (Hemi Tick), personal experience, oil weight, oil price.
You can also post ****** Oil analysis and Used Oil analysis in this thread.
Oil filter selection is also welcome.

Please Note: Keep posts professional and relevant, no name calling or insults. If someone has a different opinion than you its ok, the end user puts whatever oil they want in their engine. We want this thread to be educational and beneficial to our forum members.

Edit: If there is an oil you want added to the poll PM me and I will add it.

FYI: You can vote up to 4 oils and change your vote anytime.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Doesn't matter if you use synthetic, synthetic blend, conventional or witches brew (home blend) oils; we want to know what oil you use and why? Be specific, daily driver, high mileage, oil change interval, racing, towing, off road, oils additive package, base oil, oil consumption problems, mechanical noise (Hemi Tick), personal experience, oil weight.
You can also post ****** Oil analysis and Used Oil analysis in this thread.
You're like a bad penny.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have preferred to use Mobil 1 in the past, also have used Castrol Edge. I used both of them, because usually can get a great price at Wally World. Now that I bought my Ram, I will probably start using Penzoil Platinum, just because it's recommended by Ram. (though I know it doesn't matter)

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Amsoil SS 5w30 in my GMC 2500, daily driver, minor off Road, OCI 4-5k. I've been using Amsoil SS since 2013, started using it when I was new to racing. I don't race anymore but it proved to be a solid choice.

Amsoil SS 5w20 in my 2013 Ram RCSB; this vehicle was my racing and daily driving vehicle. Canyon racing in North Georgia mountains would consist of 6200 RPM's, over and over, hour after hour, weekend after weekend and then daily driven to work all week. After 5k miles the Blackstone oil report was Perfect. And that's why I use it, personal experience. I'm the only person that I know of on this forum that ran an oil that hard with outstanding results.
I did develop the Hemi Tick using Amsoil SS, doesn't mean there is a mechanical problem but should be mentioned. Despite the Tick the engine ran like a beast and the oil reports were perfect when I traded it in at 60k.

Valvoline 5w20 high mileage synthetic blend in my woman's 2012 Honda Civic. This vehicle developed oil leeks using other full synthetic oils in 0w20, no oil dripping off the engine but close. It was even sweating oil around the PVC valve and some of the vacuum lines. Switched to Valvoline high-milage synthetic blend and it's been a good choice. This vehicle also had a minor oil consumption problem using full synthetic 0w20 oil. Today no leaks and no oil consumption and were at 4K. It has 134k and is a daily driver, 4-5k OCI.

Oil Filters:
Honda I run M1 Extended Performance.

GMC I run M1 EXtended Performance.

Ram I ran Royal Purple.

Last edited:

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Whatever crap the dealer uses, I have a lifetime warranty.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mobil 1 5w20
Fram ultra filter
Change it about every 8k
Doubt its the best oil on the planet, but its cheap and easy. Never had an issue with mobil 1 in any of my previous vehicles.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently running Mobil1 EP 5/20 and it's running the quietest and smoothest of anything I've ran so far. I have Amsoil SS 5/20 on the shelf for my next oil change. If the Amsoil don't do at least as good as the M1 I'll probably return to M1 as I have no complaints about it so far. Currently M1 filter, will be running Amsoil filter with the Amsoil.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Ram
Penzoil Ultra (next change Mobil 1)
Mopar Filter (next change Wix)

Camaro
Mobil 5000
Wix Filter

I used Penzoil in the Ram for the first change mainly cause it said it meet the Chrysler spec. Will most likely use Mobil 1 in it next change cause I have used it in my cars before with good results, and use a wix filter cause I always used them in my other cars. The Camaro gets Moibil 5000 cause I dont feel at 280,000 miles full synthetic is nessary, and when I did try Mobil 1 a few years ago the lifters started fussing not sure why.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Ram
Penzoil Ultra (next change Mobil 1)
Mopar Filter (next change Wix)

Camaro
Mobil 5000
Wix Filter

I used Penzoil in the Ram for the first change mainly cause it said it meet the Chrysler spec. Will most likely use Mobil 1 in it next change cause I have used it in my cars before with good results, and use a wix filter cause I always used them in my other cars. The Camaro gets Moibil 5000 cause I dont feel at 280,000 miles full synthetic is nessary, and when I did try Mobil 1 a few years ago the lifters started fussing not sure why.

280k on the OD you're doing it right, I wouldn't change a thing. In my experience older engines do better with conventional oils.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Same here. Used this and Mopar filter in my last two Rams without an issue. Figure if its working why change.

My truck sits a lot as I have a company vehicle. Drive mostly on weekends and any long trips we take. Change my oil every 5K.

tricodanny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
After 4 dealer comp changes for my new 2014 Ram Express at five thousand mile or so intervals I began changing it myself using Castrol Edge 5W-20 and K&N filter. Blackstone labs issued a virtually perfect report at 61,000 miles. As of the last three oil changes I’ve allowed my local Firestone to do the high mileage Quaker State 5W-20 synthetic blend with fram filter change. I have never put more than 6000 miles between changes and Big Red uses no oil in between. IMG_0760.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Amsoil 0-40 SS in my 2018 6.4 (has the MS 12663 designation for warranty) MOPAR filter. 4000K
Same time, I changed from RP in the 03 5.7 to Amsoil SS 10-40. Baldwin filter. 235K
87 Grand National Amsoil 5-30. Baldwin filer. 98K
I am running a 5000 mile test on the three vehicles to determine 1. Will engine heat go down or up at operating temp. 2. Any change in start up noise or running noise. (rotating internal parts) 3. Change in oil pressure at start up or operating temp.
Nothing cerebral about this. Will simply determine over time which oil will most likely extend engine life and protect rotating parts.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Amsoil 0-40 SS in my 2018 6.4 (has the MS 12663 designation for warranty) MOPAR filter. 4000K
Same time, I changed from RP in the 03 5.7 to Amsoil SS 10-40. Baldwin filter. 235K
87 Grand National Amsoil 5-30. Baldwin filer. 98K
I am running a 5000 mile test on the three vehicles to determine 1. Will engine heat go down or up at operating temp. 2. Any change in start up noise or running noise. (rotating internal parts) 3. Change in oil pressure at start up or operating temp.
Nothing cerebral about this. Will simply determine over time which oil will most likely extend engine life and protect rotating parts.

I love a good oil experiment. I don't have multiple vehicles anymore but when I did my older higher mileage vehicles did better with conventional and synthetic blend oils. The conventional oils helped with oil consumption issues I had and reduced engine chatter. My new vehicles I always run a good synthetic oil.
I think there is a good market for conventional and synthetic blends oils for older higher mileage engines.
Would love to hear the results on the Amsoil in your vehicles.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I love a good oil experiment. I don't have multiple vehicles anymore but when I did my older higher mileage vehicles did better with conventional and synthetic blend oils. The conventional oils helped with oil consumption issues I had and reduced engine chatter. My new vehicles I always run a good synthetic oil.
I think there is a good market for conventional and synthetic blends oils for older higher mileage engines.
Would love to hear the results on the Amsoil in your vehicles.
Next change at 5000 will be Redline. Just because it s next and one of the top 3-4 oils.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
Amsoil in everything. 14 Ram 1500, 06 Turbo Jeep srt8, 01 celica, 99 xj and it will be going in the 18 grand cherokee summit when the free oil changes are done.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Ultra Platinum because that's what FCA uses in the SRT cars and I figured if it was good enough for them then its good enough for me. I still plan on trying some Redline 5W20 when I run out of it though. I may put some in the wife's Explorer next oil change to expedite the process. I don't have any Hemi tick problems with the PUP but feel fairly certain than its still not good enough to keep potential cam and lifter problems at bay. I have yet to hear of any Redline users have such problems.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
SRT used to recommend mobil 1. Now its pennzoil. Pretty sure they "contract" the lowest "bidder"....lol

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
SRT used to recommend mobil 1. Now its pennzoil. Pretty sure they "contract" the lowest "bidder"....lol

Or Pennzoil/Mobil 1/etc. pay FCA to be written into every manual, repair book, etc. that FCA makes as the recommended oil, hoping to increase their sales that way. :)

The split from Mobil 1 happened at approximately the same time as the Fiat buy-out of Chrysler. Many have tied the two together, heard more than one story about Fiat angering Mobil 1 and vice versa, so they switched to Pennzoil.

Trying out Amsoil right now with their preferred customer pricing, as it was lower than PUP when its not on sale. And when PUP is on sale on Amazon or other sites, it ends up being backordered quite quickly.

The Amsoil seems to have quieted down my engine compared to PUP, we shall see if that continues.