What Oil Do You Use and Why?

What Oil Do You Run and Why?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank Bailey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
So what's wrong with Mopar Synthetic oil? I'm scheduled for my first oil change on my 2019 Ram, got about 9350 miles on it and the change oil soon flashed.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what's wrong with Mopar Synthetic oil? I'm scheduled for my first oil change on my 2019 Ram, got about 9350 miles on it and the change oil soon flashed.
Mopar oil is relabeled Pennzoil. Now if their synthetic is relabeled PUP that would be fine, if it's PP, not so good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
10k on the paper oil filter would be my first concern. Ask them specifically what oil they are using; I would insist on Pennzoil "Ultra" Platinum over the Pennzoil Platinum.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did not know that. I follow 3000, oil and filter. Regardless of brand.

Like you I am from the days of 3000 mile oci. I am up to 6000 miles or six months and that is still overkill. You can do this easily with RL and and the rp filter. I f I were doing 3000 mile loci, I would use penzoil yellow bottle.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Like you I am from the days of 3000 mile oci. I am up to 6000 miles or six months and that is still overkill. You can do this easily with RL and and the rp filter. I f I were doing 3000 mile loci, I would use penzoil yellow bottle.
My dad is in his late 60's and still is loyal to 3000 oci, and still running Valvoline 10w30 conventional. He Has multiple vehicles over 300k over a lifetime.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My dad is in his late 60's and still is loyal to 3000 oci, and still running Valvoline 10w30 conventional. He Has multiple vehicles over 300k over a lifetime.

That's how we were taught. Filters and oil have changed a bit since then though. Lol my father wouldn't look at a synthetic oil. Too much money. He achieved the same results as your father.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I use Mobile one because Mopar told me I had to on my SRT10, 2008 SRT challenger and I still use it on my Hellcat. Mopar recommends something else now but Mobile one is easy to find and use. When I use to run diesel service trucks I always used Cheveron Delo 400. The new motors use thinner oils due to the tighter tolerances and it is a big NO NO to use the old thicker blends of oil.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I use Mobile one because Mopar told me I had to on my SRT10, 2008 SRT challenger and I still use it on my Hellcat. Mopar recommends something else now but Mobile one is easy to find and use. When I use to run diesel service trucks I always used Cheveron Delo 400. The new motors use thinner oils due to the tighter tolerances and it is a big NO NO to use the old thicker blends of oil.
That's interesting, I thought the hellcat ran Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's interesting, I thought the hellcat ran Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40?
Maybe " supposed" to, but I know several hemi chargers, challengers around here that are running 0/40 M1 and Castrol just because of availability.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Maybe " supposed" to, but I know several hemi chargers, challengers around here that are running 0/40 M1 and Castrol just because of availability.

Do they require MS-12633 oil certification?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do they require MS-12633 oil certification?
I wouldn't swear to it but I think so. One of the guys stopped in the store to get some wax and I went out to look at his car and he said he had to run PUP 0/40 for the warranty and he had a scat pac.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I wanted to share the book with all of you, I've been reading it for 3 days and love it. It gets into the science of base oil, additives and formulations. The oils roll in the engine and many MANY others. If you want to Really understand oil on a more informed level this is a good read.
Have a slippery weekend gentleman:)

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Ok gentleman, If you have the Max Lifetime warranty you are Not allowed to use an aftermarket Oil Filter, or a filter with the wrong part number like the SRT oil filter. If you have an engine failure related to oil FCA can deny the warranty work if there is an aftermarket oil filter on the engine. This is per Max Lifetime warranty representative. Basically all they need is an excuse.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok gentleman, If you have the Max Lifetime warranty you are Not allowed to use an aftermarket Oil Filter, or a filter with the wrong part number like the SRT oil filter. If you have an engine failure related to oil FCA can deny the warranty work if there is an aftermarket oil filter on the engine. This is per Max Lifetime warranty representative. Basically all they need is an excuse.
I'm pretty sure that theory would fold. If they "require" you to use a specific part or fluid they have to provide that part or fluid at no cost to you.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Have heard, have not yet verified, the revised owner manuals, "do not" reference Pennzoil. If it is true, it makes sense. Manufacture can not require a oil "brand" to be used. Accordingly, they cannot denie a failure to lubricate warranty claim because the owner used another brand of correct viscosity synthetic oil. I think it would also be difficult for them to denie because the oil used was not MS12663. When you read in the forum archives about dealers fixing valve train failures, members report it is pretty straight forward with out verification of oil brand and certification. Just confirm OCI is followed.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well since I'm "breakin' the law" by using a non MS-6395 oil to begin with I guess that makes it even more important to swap the oil and filter to what's approved should I ever need to take it in for engine problems. there ain't no way I'm using a cheap oil filter with an expensive ass oil like Redline. I'm pretty sure that when my 2015 went in for a new cam and lifters it had a Fram Ultra synthetic on it. I reckon it mostly goes back to what I said yesterday about whether your dealer is an ******* or not. I guess I had better stick with the guys that I have. Thanks for the info.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
I'm pretty sure that theory would fold. If they "require" you to use a specific part or fluid they have to provide that part or fluid at no cost to you.

What? I have to completely disagree with that statement.

Having said that; the magnuson-moss warranty act still applies to your extended warranty.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What? I have to completely disagree with that statement.

Having said that; the magnuson-moss warranty act still applies to your extended warranty.
What's the difference, a warranty is a warranty. Unless you're max care warranty provides all services with parts included then magnuson- moss is still in effect.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My take on "approved" fluids, filters, etc is read the owners manual. Same should apply to MaxCare according to what I've read.

Yes, the manual specifically calls out the Chrysler approvals for oil. But for oil FILTERS it does not specify.

From my 2017 owners manual:

"This manufacturer’s engines have a full-flow type oil filter. Use a filter of this type for replacement. The quality of replacement filters varies considerably. Only high quality filters should be used to assure most efficient service. Mopar engine oil filters are high quality oil filters and are recommended"

So, they RECOMMEND the Mopar filter, but do not REQUIRE the Mopar filter. I dont remember seeing anything in my MaxCare contract that overrides that text with REQUIRES the Mopar filter.

I think some dealers truly will ding you if you dont have the Mopar filter, but I think some dealers out there are realistic enough to realize an engine that died and early death while under MaxCare would have a lot of evidence of lack of maintenance, regardless of what brand oil filter was used. Just like the bumper to bumper warranty, I think its going to come down to the dealer you are using for service. Mine *tells* me they will fight for me, but in the end I wont know until (God forbid) I need it. Its the same reason Im not happy when they say "its noted, if it ever becomes an issue we'll cover it", but again its all a crapshoot anyway.

The only shining light is that there are SO MANY FCA dealers in my area, I can just hop from one to the next if I have to.