What Oil Do You Use and Why?

What Oil Do You Run and Why?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I'm pretty sure that theory would fold. If they "require" you to use a specific part or fluid they have to provide that part or fluid at no cost to you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Have heard, have not yet verified, the revised owner manuals, "do not" reference Pennzoil. If it is true, it makes sense. Manufacture can not require a oil "brand" to be used. Accordingly, they cannot denie a failure to lubricate warranty claim because the owner used another brand of correct viscosity synthetic oil. I think it would also be difficult for them to denie because the oil used was not MS12663. When you read in the forum archives about dealers fixing valve train failures, members report it is pretty straight forward with out verification of oil brand and certification. Just confirm OCI is followed.

Well since I'm "breakin' the law" by using a non MS-6395 oil to begin with I guess that makes it even more important to swap the oil and filter to what's approved should I ever need to take it in for engine problems. there ain't no way I'm using a cheap oil filter with an expensive ass oil like Redline. I'm pretty sure that when my 2015 went in for a new cam and lifters it had a Fram Ultra synthetic on it. I reckon it mostly goes back to what I said yesterday about whether your dealer is an ******* or not. I guess I had better stick with the guys that I have. Thanks for the info.
Keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty and the Lifetime Maximum Care warranty are two different things. The Lifetime Max care warranty starts after the manufacturer warranty ends. Lifetime max care is under FCA Service Contracts LLC and the manufacturer is FCA US LLC. Two different legal entities, with two different contractual agreements / warranty guide lines. The manual from the manufacturer "Recommends" PUP 0w40 while the Lifetime Maximum Warranty contract states Only Recommend AND Approved fluids shall be used. And if a third party does maintenance on the vehicle you MUST keep all recipes to prove proper fluids were used.
According the the Lifetime Max Warranty they have the right to deny warranty claims if maintenance conditions are not fulfilled. Aftermarket Oil filters are considered "Aftermarket" and Will voild your Lifetime Max Warranty. But that has nothing to do with the manufacturer warranty.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What gets me about all these warrantys, regular, extended, max care, is it's up to someone in the clouds whether something is covered. "We'll fight for you", WTF, it's either covered or it isn't. And why would anyone with max care pay a dealer the upgrade to put synthetic oil in it? If the dealer is doing the service, they have all the records, and you have lifetime max care, so who gives a **** what they put in it. Put the right oil, wrong oil, I don't care. If it blows in 10k, 20k, 100k, don't care, fix it, it's you're dime.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind that the manufacturer warranty and the Lifetime Maximum Care warranty are two different things. The Lifetime Max care warranty starts after the manufacturer warranty ends. Lifetime max care is under FCA Service Contracts LLC and the manufacturer is FCA US LLC. Two different legal entities, with two different contractual agreements / warranty guide lines. The manual from the manufacturer "Recommends" PUP 0w40 while the Lifetime Maximum Warranty contract states Only Recommend AND Approved fluids shall be used. And if a third party does maintenance on the vehicle you MUST keep all recipes to prove proper fluids were used.
According the the Lifetime Max Warranty they have the right to deny warranty claims if maintenance conditions are not fulfilled. Aftermarket Oil filters are considered "Aftermarket" and Will voild your Lifetime Max Warranty. But that has nothing to do with the manufacturer warranty.
So for the first 5 years, 60k the lifetime max care don't mean crap as far as drive train. [emoji848] So how much money is FCA ripping people off for? Then we'll see if we're going to cover it after the 5/60 runs out. Oh No, I didn't kiss my dealers ass for the last 5 years so he ain't gonna " fight for me" . Such bs.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last 4 new vehicles have all been FCA and I love my ram, however all this bs with warrantys and seemingly never ending recalls makes that Toyota dealer down the road sound pretty good. Free lifetime oil changes, free lifetime engine warranty, free car wash with every service. Jus sayin.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My last 4 new vehicles have all been FCA and I love my ram, however all this bs with warrantys and seemingly never ending recalls makes that Toyota dealer down the road sound pretty good. Free lifetime oil changes, free lifetime engine warranty, free car wash with every service. Jus sayin.

My RAM dealer has a free lifetime power train warranty. Is your Toyota dealers similar?

If so, It's even "worse" than the maxcare. I have to do every required maintenance there along with a yearly inspection (after factory warranty runs out) that will void the warranty if I don't do it within a certain amount if days of the anniversary.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My RAM dealer has a free lifetime power train warranty. Is your Toyota dealers similar?

If so, It's even "worse" than the maxcare. I have to do every required maintenance there along with a yearly inspection (after factory warranty runs out) that will void the warranty if I don't do it within a certain amount if days of the anniversary.

Never checked into it, have never really been interested in Toyota's, that's just what they advertise on TV.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6

In the industry, it is commonly called a gotcha warranty. They are dealer sponsored warranty's. The reason they require the annual inspection,,,is for a selling opportunity. When the service writer says, here is what your vehicle needs and this is what we recommend (always the non covered items) and we say no, pass. They document in the vehicle service record and good luck if we have failure related to any recommended service that we turned down. My daughter got into one of those squirrel cage programs. They are BS

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But the Tundra is just so damned ugly! And ancient too! I know everybody raves about the Tacoma but hell I bought a new one back is 2002 and wasn't particularly impressed. Too underpowered and too cramped. I was pumping gas next to a new crew cab Tacoma last week and I got a pretty good look at it. The backseat might be big and comfortable enough for my Yorkie but their ain't no way in hell two adults wouldn't feel cramped back there.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the industry, it is commonly called a gotcha warranty. They are dealer sponsored warranty's. The reason they require the annual inspection,,,is for a selling opportunity. When the service writer says, here is what your vehicle needs and this is what we recommend (always the non covered items) and we say no, pass. They document in the vehicle service record and good luck if we have failure related to any recommended service that we turned down. My daughter got into one of those squirrel cage programs. They are BS
They're all the same. A guy came into the store last week to get a cabin air filter for a Toyota. He had his into dealership for service and they brought his dirty cabin air filter to him to show him that it needed replaced, $60. He said no, I can get one myself for $20 and 5 min. worth of work. Then they wanted $40 to rotate his tires after they allready had them off for a brake inspection. Hell, I should have ask him which Toyota dealer, it might have been that one that advertises all the free ****.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
What's the difference, a warranty is a warranty. Unless you're max care warranty provides all services with parts included then magnuson- moss is still in effect.

Show me something legally binding that a vehicle manufacture or a warranty provider must provide free wear and tear parts if they require those same parts as part of a warranty related to those parts.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Show me something legally binding that a vehicle manufacture or a warranty provider must provide free wear and tear parts if they require those same parts as part of a warranty related to those parts.
Normal wear and tear parts are not covered under any warranty.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
I'm pretty sure that theory would fold. If they "require" you to use a specific part or fluid they have to provide that part or fluid at no cost to you.

Normal wear and tear parts are not covered under any warranty.

I'm not referring to wear and tear parts being covered under warranty. I'm talking about your statement that they are required to provide wear and tear parts for free if they require them to keep your warranty intact.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The big 6.4 is doing good on PUP 0w40. Getting it from the dealership for less then $9 per quart. Oil analysis is promising. Might be switching to Redline at 20k.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Maybe you 5th gen guys can provide some input. Trying to get some information on Valvoline 0w40 for us with the Big 6.4

We're stuck with only 2 oil options on the 6.4 to stay within warranty. PUP & Amsoil 0w40. Valvoline 0w40 may be an option, but I've never seen it on shelves or heard of anyone using it.

Anyone use or have seen Valvoline 0w40 full synthetic?

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
PUP 5w20 for my 2014 RAM 1500.
Quality oil and I can get at a good price. Change it every 5-6k.

OP
OP
HammerHead

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
PUP 5w20 for my 2014 RAM 1500.
Quality oil and I can get at a good price. Change it every 5-6k.
PUP is in my top 3 super oils; I run the PUP 0w40 in my 6.4 and it seems to like it. I also change at 5k like clockwork; considering 4K due to my new commute. 45 minutes to 1 hour to go 15 miles. That's hard on the engine.

What oil filter you running?

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
PUP is in my top 3 super oils; I run the PUP 0w40 in my 6.4 and it seems to like it. I also change at 5k like clockwork; considering 4K due to my new commute. 45 minutes to 1 hour to go 15 miles. That's hard on the engine.

What oil filter you running?
WIX XP