What Phone and music player are you using with the 12" display

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well I have had my 2019 for a week and have come to the conclusion my Blackberry Priv (this is android) and ipod nano are not going to integrate as smoothly as they did with my 2015 ram. In my old truck i could text over voice pretty easy and my ipod nano was available as a source and I never had to take it out of the center consol. With my 2019 i have no text messaging and my Ipod has to be unplugged and plugged back in to work and there is no cover art. I know these seem like small things but hey I enjoy them. So I am on a quest to find a new phone and music player to get me back whole, so to speak, lol! Figured I would ask who is having success with what devices?

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well I rounded up a 5th generation ipod touch and purchased a Samsung S9 plus. They work OK...... The Ipod touch took some turning off and on along with the truck, until I could actually browse my itunes library, on the U connect screen and select songs and playlists. It seems to be working well now, and I am not going to unplug it.

The S9 is listed as a compatible phone and for the most part works, but it will not let me compose my own text messages, even when I press the menu selection to do ao on the Uconnect screen, it works tries to get me to use the predefined messages.

I am always on the run and it is nice to be able to use my truck as a mobile office, thus the reason I pay for all the tech options. I am a bit disappointed at the moment. As my 2015 Ram was flawless in its operation and integration of the Uconnect. I spent some money on the truck and then again upgrading my tech so I could get the same functionality and at the moment my pocketbook is light and I am still less capable than I was with my old truck.

jimh4662

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn C.C. Delmonico Red PearlCoat
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would be hard to explain all the variables, to try to figure out your specific configuration/connection issues. I think your problems are just a synchronizing and configuration issue. I would start with the basic setup / Bluetooth for phone. Then take each step to try to figure your personal message development. Within Bluetooth /uconnect on S9 check settings. Media, , call, messages etc. Check each block After you complete reboot your phone. With in your s9 phone messages. Develop phone message you want to use. Remember short, sweet. Don't confuse the verbiage . Look at your Manual, s9, uconnect Mopar. This is a start Then trouble shoot

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can get it to work, the truck software is flawed. It will highlight the option to reply with your own voice recognition, and when you tap it, it asks you to use a predefined message. It will not let me respond or send a text with my own verbiage.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I can get it to work, the truck software is flawed. It will highlight the option to reply with your own voice recognition, and when you tap it, it asks you to use a predefined message. It will not let me respond or send a text with my own verbiage.
You've got to use either Android Auto or Apple Siri to send custom text messages. UConnect Access no longer offers this feature. I discovered this going from my 2015 Big Horn to my 2018.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It has a menu option for a custom response, but when you select it, uour still forced to qith a pre baked response. So what hour saying may be true, but then why have the selection listed out, that is a software issue.

I kept with android just be cause I wanted to access my phone through the Uconnect system because I dont have to worry about plugging it in when I get in the truck. On top of that have you tried the android auto speech to text feature? I have tried my S9, my blackberry Priv, and a Motorola Turbo. None of them can cleanly execute the speech to text feature through google assistant. It hangs and shuts off or give you a non-sense text. On the flipside, Siri and Apple carplay using my wife's iphone 7, is flawless, fast, and very pleasing, but again you will have to plug the phone in, everytime, the convenience of the truck just linking to it while its in your bag or coat is lost

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I took some pictures of what is happening with my S9+

Here is a message I received, this works ok but I have to go to the phone screen to listen to it, the old truck just played the message from the pop up
20180602_185253.jpg
Once u listen you can hit reply and it takes you here.
20180602_185320.jpg
The top button makes the truck ask you for a standard, already drafted reply, the bottom one takes you to a list of drafted replies
20180602_185357.jpg

I hope they have an update to the 12 inch uconnect soon. The old uconnect sold me on Chrysler products and infotainment. Unfortunately the 12 inch has some polishing left to do

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well I have had my 2019 for a week and have come to the conclusion my Blackberry Priv (this is android) and ipod nano are not going to integrate as smoothly as they did with my 2015 ram. In my old truck i could text over voice pretty easy and my ipod nano was available as a source and I never had to take it out of the center consol. With my 2019 i have no text messaging and my Ipod has to be unplugged and plugged back in to work and there is no cover art. I know these seem like small things but hey I enjoy them. So I am on a quest to find a new phone and music player to get me back whole, so to speak, lol! Figured I would ask who is having success with what devices?

Apple and Ram don’t play together at all. I have an iPhone 7+ . my music and phone work great but not able to send/receive text or anything related to that other than pick it up which is dangerous. I wish there was a way. I have the Uconnect 5.0 touch screen. It shows texts on the phone section but can’t access it through the Bluetooth. Hopefully I’m missing something there.
But at this point Apple n Ram don’t play well together

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
I took some pictures of what is happening with my S9+

Do you have the Android Auto app installed on your S9+?

And have your S9+ plugged into a USB port on your truck?

This is what is necessary to send custom voice text messages on my 2018 Ram with 8.4 UConnect. Not sure if it is the same on the 2019 with the monster 12" screen, but it could be.

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have the Android Auto app installed on your S9+?

And have your S9+ plugged into a USB port on your truck?

This is what is necessary to send custom voice text messages on my 2018 Ram with 8.4 UConnect. Not sure if it is the same on the 2019 with the monster 12" screen, but it could be.

I was really hoping to utilize the U connect features as I did in my last Ram. It was nice not having to remember to plug my phone in, or have it in a special place. It just connects when I am near the truck and that way if it is in my coat or laptop bag, I can still take calls and respond to texts.

As a last ditch effort I did try the android auto application as that is how I have my RV setup to work, with my phone. The voice recognition texting is not working correctly. It will record the first syllable of what you say and try to send that as a text no matter how many times you correct it.

With that being said I should of got an apple if I was going to utilize phone mirroring, as when I tried my wife's phone siri was flawless and fast with apple car play. I was really hoping not to have to plug anything in as I really like the wireless charging also

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I write embedded software for machines as my job. Sometimes display units. To have a menu item that flat out does not do what it says, is a major failure, and wpuld not make it through validation testing, and if it somehow did make it to a customer, my team would be on the hook until the problem was resolved, and that machine could be updated.

I am not sure how Chrysler would handle this if I took it to the dealer and explained the failure. The dealer does not deserve the fallout of this mistake, and quite frankly I know they would not take this issue seriously, as it is software and a convienence feature. They have no way to fix it unless FCA engineers jump in. It is ashame a premium vehicle as nice as this has some glaring errors in one of its hallmark new features. They sure dont mind using it to try and sell the truck.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Texting with voice recognition in my 2018 Ram with UConnect paired with my Pixel 2XL using Android Auto works flawlessly. I tested it by sending myself texts. I've since used it when texts come in as I'm driving.

It is possible to use both the UConnect voice controls AND the Android Auto voice controls. UConnect voice controls are accessed by a short press of the VR steering wheel button and Android Auto is accessed by long pressing of the VR button. But, yeah, you've got to connect your phone via USB to use Android Auto over the vehicle's system.

There was a setting on the phone (or was it the UConnect?) that had to be enabled for voice recognition to work properly. I'd check that. Also, is it possible that your Samsung phone's Bixby voice controls is interfering with Android Auto?

With all the hoopla Chrysler is giving the 12" screen, I'd be bringing your truck down to the dealer and requesting a full demonstration on how to use that thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Does the the 2018 use sirius XM Guardian? If it is the original Uconnect, I never had a bit of trouble with that.

I disabled Bixby, in favor of google assistant on my phone.

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Does the the 2018 use sirius XM Guardian? If it is the original Uconnect, I never had a bit of trouble with that.

I disabled Bixby, in favor of google assistant on my phone.

I can use Siruis XM Guardian if I sign up for it. However, even if you have XM Guardian you can only use the canned, pre-formatted text replies. The only way to create custom text messages is with Android Auto (or Apple CarPlay). So far as I know this was new for 2018. I agree with you on previous versions of UConnect Access. On my 2015 it worked pretty good to send custom text messages. I couldn't stomach the cost so I didn't renew after my trial period.

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That is a key piece of information, that XM Guardian is only capable of canned texts replies. If that was the case I may of not purchased the Samsung 9+. Apple Carplay works way smoother than Android Auto on the 12" screen. Thank you for that bit of information. I maintained my U connect subscription just for that texting feature. I would be willing to continue paying for a service like that of it existed.

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just a follow up. I fully setup my Google assistant, and did the voice training. This allowed Android auto to function. It was not as smooth Siri, but it worked.