What scan tool can reset steering angle sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hwilde55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
2019 ram 1500 DT. Dealership messed up alignment and steering angle sensor is off. Local shop fixed alignment, but doesn’t have the right tool to reset SAS. I tried a LAUNCH OBD2 Scanner CRP129X but it says “The device does not support unlock sgw (secure gateway) module.”

So my question is what scan tool do I need to be able to reset the SAS ? Thanks

Attachments

• 0632518B-795A-4D9A-94D2-121D8C30781C.jpeg
    0632518B-795A-4D9A-94D2-121D8C30781C.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 21

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Before you spend good money on a tool, try this:

Get in the truck and start the engine.

Turn the steering wheel to the driver's side to full lock. Then turn it to the passenger side to full lock.

Repeat that 3 times.

Turn off the key. Then turn the key back to Run.

You may need three key cycles (On/Off) for the error to go away.

OP
OP
H

hwilde55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Hi thanks there is no error but the zero point of the steering wheel is no longer straight since the dealership messed it up. If I hold the steering wheel straight the truck drives off to the left. To drive straight the steering wheel has to be a few degrees to the right.

John Livdahl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your steering wheel is centered and the vehicle is not going straight, that is an alignment issue. I had the same issue with my 2008 charger and put up with it until I got new tires. I made sure when they aligned the vehicle next time the steering wheel was exactly centered and everything was great.

Note if you have ESP (Electronic Stability Program) having a steering wheel offset messes that system up. When I would exit freeways at speed, the ESP would kick in sometimes.

louis whiteside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you spend good money on a tool, try this:

Get in the truck and start the engine.

Turn the steering wheel to the driver's side to full lock. Then turn it to the passenger side to full lock.

Repeat that 3 times.

Turn off the key. Then turn the key back to Run.

You may need three key cycles (On/Off) for the error to go away.
So all the way right then left?

BDub7732

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
If your steering wheel is centered and the vehicle is not going straight, that is an alignment issue. I had the same issue with my 2008 charger and put up with it until I got new tires. I made sure when they aligned the vehicle next time the steering wheel was exactly centered and everything was great.

Note if you have ESP (Electronic Stability Program) having a steering wheel offset messes that system up. When I would exit freeways at speed, the ESP would kick in sometimes.
I am currently experiencing this issues I believe when I slow down or accelerate out of a turn my brakes are still being applied allowing my truck to drive rough.. sometimes when pressing the brake pedal at a stop, the pedal will feel good a tight and I don’t have to put a lot of foot into stopping and other times I feel like I have to stand up on them.. what was the fix??

Simpsj2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having similar issue. Did you find a solution?

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're mechanically inclined, it's not difficult to play with the tie rod ends to get the steering wheel straight. Get under there and look at how the tie rod ends adjust. Have your wife or friend hold the steering wheel straight and then a little to the left as you watch. Then loosen each tie rod end jam nut and adjust each side, one side in and the other side out maybe a half turn. Tighten the jam nuts and take it for a ride. If it's worse, you went the wrong way. If it's better but needs a little more, go ahead and do the same thing. If it's just right, congratulations.