What strange contraption is this under the rearview mirror housing ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Rebel; 2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
I removed the mirror housing on my windshield and this was under it. By chance does anyone know what the device to the right of the mirror mount is and what it does ? Can it be removed temporarily and reinstalled ? I cannot install a smart beam mirror because this is in the way when I try to attach and turn the mirror into position.

IMG_5335 copy.jpeg

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
Looks like the collision avoidance/lane assist sensor.
Hmmm, now that is odd. My truck does not have that as an option. I can’t imagine that would be installed and not enabled.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What about auto high beams? I know that sensor was in the mirror on previous gens

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
What about auto high beams? I know that sensor was in the mirror on previous gens

For auto high beams, you need the mirror on the left.
8F4846E7-0F89-49BE-81D0-2F638D1FA3A5.jpeg

OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi
OP
OP
JCAP

JCAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi; 6.4L Hemi

Jawzs2, everything about this part appears to be the rain sensor above. So I decided to turn on the Rain Sense Feature to see if it would work, by following this link --> https://www.ramforum.com/threads/adding-rain-sense-wipers-with-alfaobd.131483/. What is interesting, after I activate it following the instructions, it causes MIL to light up that my electronic parking brake needs to be serviced, secondly my EVIC says my Rain Sensor needs to be serviced. I noticed GhostRam mentioned there is another option in AlfaOBD that he didn't change. It makes me wonder if the 2020 Trucks have something a little different than what is listed in his instructions.

When I have some time, I may try to set that option and see if it does anything different.

Also, I wonder since my truck did not come with the Rain Sense option, if there is something else that I need hardware wise.

Thanks again for pointing out what that part is.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
That is odd. According to my build sheet, I do not have the rain sensing wiper option. Sounds like I should attempt to enable that feature to see if it works.

Thank you, jawzs2.

probably cheaper for them to order all with it like uverse used to do..all set top boxes had a WD 500G hdd. you only paid DVR fee for the ones that were enabled. lots of folks just took drives out of the other boxes and kept em. maybe you could enable with an obd scanner