What the heck are these ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I betcha its part of the snow plow prep package.. To reinforce the front door the weight of the snow plow
They are compatibility brackets that make the truck more compatible with lower vehicles in a crash. Anybody who has actually installed a snow plow on a ram would know that they have nothing to do with the snow plow. Most snow plow installations require them to be removed.

Tonnage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yep, Compatibility Brackets. Confirmed by the Ram Builders Engineers. If anyone needs / wants to know, here are the part numbers.
Response:
The brackets you sent in the pictures are called compatibility brackets made of two parts per side 55398873AC and 52014250AC.
Their purpose is to comply with the collision underride standard. Keeping a tall vehicle (your truck) from climbing onto a smaller low profile car in a collision.
We hope this answers your questions.

We hope it resolved the issue/query observed!

Thank you.

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I took them off my previous 2012 Cummins but on my 2018 Cummins I see no sense in removing them as they don't hang down any lower than the inter Cooler!!

Last edited:

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Correct - we used to call them anti grease spot brackets. They’re intended to prevent you from Baja-ing over smaller vehicles in a head on collision. They became mandated when the Ford Excursion started eating Miata’s.

The idea is to do this instead of run it over.

7918CC4F-0C8D-47F0-B0F5-FDFBB376D22D.jpeg

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Great info guys! Thanks. I also thought they were part of the plow prep package, but I've never installed a plow on a ram.

Good to know. My 17 has them and they don't bother me so no reason to remove them.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
As I mentioned earlier. they are to prevent another Jayne Mansfield death.
if you do not know who she was, use your google fu, m8ee.

Remember the angst experienced by the guy who caught that ball in the World Series, a decade or so ago?
Death threats, ruined his Life?

Imagine how much worse it would be if your removal of the under carriage comparability brackets
ended up taking off Taylor Swifts head, in an accident.

I know, I know, Taylor Swift is no Jayne Mansfield Hottie
but she is the only young celeb, with rabid fan base, I could think of.

Seriously, Google Jayne Mansfield and Sophia Loren.
Excellent shot of Sophia "sneaking a peak" down Jayne's top.
They were, that Perfect.

Last edited:

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Lol!

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Maybe this warning sticker would be better?

CroppedImage800500-nic15a.jpg

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
As I mentioned earlier. they are to prevent another Jayne Mansfield death.
if you do not know who she was, use your google fu, m8ee.

Remember the angst experienced by the guy who caught that ball in the World Series, a decade or so ago?
Death threats, ruined his Life?

Imagine how much worse it would be if your removal of the under carriage comparability brackets
ended up taking off Taylor Swifts head, in an accident.

I know, I know, Taylor Swift is no Jayne Mansfield Hottie
but she is the only young celeb, with rabid fan base, I could think of.

Seriously, Google Jayne Mansfield and Sophia Loren.
Excellent shot of Sophia "sneaking a peak" down Jayne's top.
They were, that Perfect.

That's it... I am taking mine off! I will do anything to increase the chances of Taylor Swifts head coming off!:laughing1:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Well what the hell.... I figured they were snow plow brackets but couldn't figure why a Texas truck would need them... Took mine off and they're sitting in a box for now, waiting for my welding in some 1/4" plate behind my Ranchhand bumper back to them to make a nice front skid plate. So that I do precisely what they are designed to keep me from doing... Riding up and over any obstacle that would eat the front lower part of the engine compartment!

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are compatibility brackets that make the truck more compatible with lower vehicles in a crash. Anybody who has actually installed a snow plow on a ram would know that they have nothing to do with the snow plow. Most snow plow installations require them to be removed.

This. Mine were removed. Ive got mine in a box; the shop said per the plows owner-manual to reinstall them if the plow is removed.

The posts are a DOT/NHTSA requirement, so if any of you guys actually use your truck, be aware. Should also mention, as soon as you tow anything, even a small trailer, if the GCWR is greater than 10,000 pounds, it becomes a "commercial vehicle" because of its combination weight rating. Is the DOT guy going to look under your truck if you get stopped, probably not. But good luck if you get into an accident.

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
Commercial vehicle status would depend on the state in which the vehicle is registered. In PA a truck is not considered commercial unless it is registered over 11,000 lbs. (4B sticker). PA also does not go by GCWR, therefore, as long as the trailer itself is not loaded past a GWV of 10,000 you are still legal with a non commercial license. I have my 2500 registered at class 3 because I never have more then an extra ton or so in the bed.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Commercial vehicle status would depend on the state in which the vehicle is registered. In PA a truck is not considered commercial unless it is registered over 11,000 lbs. (4B sticker). PA also does not go by GCWR, therefore, as long as the trailer itself is not loaded past a GWV of 10,000 you are still legal with a non commercial license. I have my 2500 registered at class 3 because I never have more then an extra ton or so in the bed.

Yep, and here in the great state of Taxalvania, you can do that, but you have to be very careful. You can save money and register your truck at the weight you want to. However, if your caught overweight, the fines are huge. I believe $10 or $20 (not sure anymore) for every pound your overweight.

I didn't want to take the chance so I have mine registered at 10k lbs. Yes the yearly registration fee is huge, but at 10k registered I'm also totally emissions exempt, so I save a little by not having to have the emissions inspection done.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Once I banged mine enough times off road on big rocks I ripped them out and threw them in the garbage.