What the heck is causing this issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peter Albert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V-6
Greetings all. I have a 2017 1500 SLT 3.6L Flex (V6) 2wd with 239,442 miles on it. I drive an average around 60k to 65k miles per year. Last July I had the radiator, water pump, thermostat, temperature sensor and hoses replaced. About 20,000 miles ago I started getting an intermittent engine overheat warning, but the message would quickly disappear, and the analog gauge would drop back to normal temp almost immediately. My mechanic could not find anything wrong, and there were no codes showing to be reset when he plugged into the computer. I would usually have normal temp readings when traveling at highway speeds, but as soon as I would start to slow down, the analog gauge would climb quickly, and the digital gauge would also climb from 220º to 245º or higher, and then back to 220º again within 10-15 seconds. There has never been any visible steam or evidence of leaking coolant. So, we changed out the coolant temperature sensor again. I thought that that fixed the issue, but two weeks later, this intermittent false temperature reading is recurring. I have had three other intermittent warning messages. While driving at highway speeds I would get "auto-park disengaged" and "check ABS." The third was "check gas cap."

Is this a main computer issue? Is it a wiring harness or harness connector(s) issue? An actual engine issue? Even though my coolant fluid level remains full, my mechanic has a fear that I have a blown head gasket, but I don't buy that one. I've had no performance issues. He's taking the truck out for a 2-hour drive this coming Wednesday with his diagnostic tool plugged into the truck to see if he can record the warnings, and he will then perform a compression test to check the head gaskets. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced these false warning issues and what was done to stop them?

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
What are the cooling fans doing when you slow down? At highway speed they probably don't add much. Also what are the Grill shutters doing? they are supposed to close to improve gas mileage. Wonder if they might be 'sticky' or jammed in some partial open position.

There is a link here about how to remove them, seems that the engines all started to run cooler.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What shape is your battery in have it load tested, low voltage from the battery can create all kinds of problems.