What to look for when buying a trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
A couple of things to think about: One, as someone said, tongue weight (10-15%) is really, really, really important. The second is what will be your maximum total gross weight? A class 4 frame hitch (forget about a bumper hitch) is rated for maximum 10000. However, a class 5 frame hitch, like mine, is rated at around 16000 pounds and you normally don't need any special license. In Calif you're good to 26000 gross. Make sure any trailer you get has good brakes and get a brake controller for your truck that lets you activate the trailer brakes by themselves. This helps if the trailer tries to sway. Good dump trailers are heavy (mine, a 6x12 weight 3000 lbs empty). And make sure the trailer tires are capable of handling the weight you plan to put into it. I have done lots of towing so any questions go ahead and ask. Remember, take it slow until you get used to it and know how hard the trailer pushes you when trying to stop. Also, make sure you have good safety chains cause you're responsible for any damage if it comes loose.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
With a 1 ton diesel your going to have a hard time overloading your payload with a bumper pull. You’re going to have a payload around 4K as the long beds have GVW of 12300 pending your configuration. A 14k trailer would have a hitch weight around 2800 pending how it’s loaded. Still plenty of room to load stuff in the bed.
It's really depends on the options and trim level of the 3500. Some have payloads just over 4,000, so it is critical to look at door jamb of specific truck being considered. My family has put electric golf carts in bed which zaps around 1k pounds or more right off the bat.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont have the exact numbers in front of me, but the diesel has a lower payload rating than the 6.4. As far as dump trailers go there are a couple of more important things to consider (there's more than that, but these topped the list for me) . The trailers total weight rating,and it's actual weight. I looked for a trailer that weighed more than its competitors did, a clue its better built using heavier gauge steel. The second is the ram/lift assembly. A scissor style vs a straight ram is stronger and more stable. Mine is a bumper pull rated at 10k and weighs 3500, so the payload is 6500. Other things would be battery/pump location ( some put theirs under the bed and that sucks when the battery dies), electric vs surge brakes (and if electric 1 or both axles), walk on fenders....
^^^ ALL above ^^^, in my very small lil IMHO thoughts.