What toppers/Caps have can fit (and not look like crap)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I have been searching high and low for a topper for my 2018 Ram 2500 6'4. There are so many out there but it seems as fast as one is listed they are sold..... I am at the point that I must have one for business travel, and dont want to spend $2-3K for a new one. Has anyone fit a different brand and not made the truck look like an abortion? I love the way my truck looks but need the extra space. Its either a topper or or else a trailer and murder my mileage. I will be transporting guns and accessories to gun shows so payload is not the issue, just space.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you could go with a softopper and a deckedsystem.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree, I don’t like how camper shells destroy the good looks of a truck but do you really need that much space? Would a good tonneau cover not yield enough room for what you need to haul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have been searching high and low for a topper for my 2018 Ram 2500 6'4. There are so many out there but it seems as fast as one is listed they are sold..... I am at the point that I must have one for business travel, and dont want to spend $2-3K for a new one. Has anyone fit a different brand and not made the truck look like an abortion? I love the way my truck looks but need the extra space. Its either a topper or or else a trailer and murder my mileage. I will be transporting guns and accessories to gun shows so payload is not the issue, just space.
im with you no way im spending that much new. but because of that i have been looking for a shell for over a year.

and to those saying it looks ulgy. function over fashion!

OP
OP
S

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I have a nice cover now (Leer), but yes I need considerably more room. I was going to rig up a pulley/lift in my garrage so I would not have to leave it on all the time. The soft ones do not appeal to me in any way, thank you for the suggestion though.

Blanked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 6.4
Engine
I love my snug top. It looks like it came from the factory. Yes you put a cheap topper on it looks bad. Snug tops fit like a glove

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mines a work truck so it was definitely function over form but it ended up looking way better than I imagined. Scored off Facebook for $400. Was gonna paint it to match but truck is always filthy so it isn’t as noticeable. When it’s clean you can tell more it’s a shade darker. It’s a leer aluminum it like it a lot. I’ve grown to like it more than the fiberglass options honestly. In my opinion side doors are mandatory. I hate crawling in the back to get stuff.

32954D36-9471-436B-B718-E3CAFEB89D5A.jpeg

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I
Mines a work truck so it was definitely function over form but it ended up looking way better than I imagined. Scored off Facebook for $400. Was gonna paint it to match but truck is always filthy so it isn’t as noticeable. When it’s clean you can tell more it’s a shade darker. It’s a leer aluminum it like it a lot. I’ve grown to like it more than the fiberglass options honestly. In my opinion side doors are mandatory. I hate crawling in the back to get stuff.

View attachment 249996
I have been considering a side door ARE for my Crew, short box. However, as I use the truck almost exclusively as a long distance touring vehicle I lean towards having the storage area under the side opening doors. There are lots of things I could use that area for on both sides.
Anyone have something similar that hey can comment on? Any photo's?

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had an ARE MX with the sportsmen side doors for seven years. I haven't had any issues and think it looks ok.

IMG_20161105_172021940.jpg

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I

I have been considering a side door ARE for my Crew, short box. However, as I use the truck almost exclusively as a long distance touring vehicle I lean towards having the storage area under the side opening doors. There are lots of things I could use that area for on both sides.
Anyone have something similar that hey can comment on? Any photo's?

I have a shelf built down one side to hold all of my nails, caulk and screws, and have built bed drawers on the bottom. If I weren’t so cheap I would’ve bought the decked system and a new camper shell with the built in shelf. I like having it on one side but still being able to access the front of the bed from the other side. The raised up floor from the bed drawers help me reach everything too.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Here in FL they seem to make the trucks slow and the drivers ornery. Every time I see one on the road it is going 5 MPH below the posted speed and when I pass them the driver shakes his fist at me. :D

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought my SnugTop 8 years ago this month. I like it so much that I sold my fiver and bought a travel trailer so that I don't have to take it off all the time.

View attachment 249482

I can’t see how anyone can say that’s an ugly truck with the shell on. That’s a good looking truck.

I bought my Century cap used for $300 off of CL, the kid didn’t want it anymore. It was mineral grey, my truck is granite crystal. I had the truck in for hail damage in 2019 and the body shop painted it then.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t see how anyone can say that’s an ugly truck with the shell on. That’s a good looking truck.

I bought my Century cap used for $300 off of CL, the kid didn’t want it anymore. It was mineral grey, my truck is granite crystal. I had the truck in for hail damage in 2019 and the body shop painted it then.

Different strokes for different folks but a truck doesn’t have to be considered ugly in order to not care for the shell they put on it. That is a good looking truck but if it were mine, the shell would be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pjcodner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just sold my ARE topper on facebook marketplace to a guy with a 1500 crew cab with a 6'4" bed. They sell quick that is for sure. I listed it for $350, had 8 people interested and the guy who bought it offered me $600 for the topper. Sold it in less then 8 hours from listing it online. I replaced it with a hardshell tonneau from undercover. I found one used locally for $200.

Here is a pic of my truck with the topper on it. My truck is black and this topper was from a 2013 2500 with the crystal black paint so it wasn't a perfect match but you could not tell unless it was in the sun.

View media item 31030

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I found my Leer topper on Craigslist for $600. It was only about 45 minutes away. It has a couple of chips, but it was about $1600 less than a brand new topper. And it was a perfect color match. I’m so glad I got one. I actually got a travel trailer vs. a 5th wheel because I didn’t want to have to take off the topper.93803E72-808A-4A04-A03E-6977F0A077FF.jpeg