what wheel do I need.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
so I'm going to ask. I have my next project mostly in the planning stage. & I'm am once again in the dark on a really simple question.
I'm going to be using a 1989 D250 Diesel / 727 & Frame setup as my rolling chassis & Then putting a 1951 Ford F3 cab & front fenders remounted onto the Dodge frameworks.
As i measure I fell my current stock steal wheels will stick out past my Ford front fenders about an inch . Their 8 hole wheels from both trucks..
If this project every get done It'll be more of a semi rat rod type truck. Or maybe a just an old Classic on a more modern frame so it'll drive much better..
But I'm wondering since the old Ford has 8 hole wheels on it & they seem to be 6inch wide wheels. If I use those wheels won't that / basically gain myself 2 inch on my width issue.
The stock 89 wheels are 7 inch wides at least. SO I'm thinking . use the old Stock Fords & buy a pair of narrower tires for the front of that rig. Maybe the old 700 x16 trailer style tires. Giving the old truck a more conventional look while rolling along ..
I fell a much better look than todays look of the 265/85 R16'S .
& SINCE IT'LL be a flatbed the rear tires & wheels can be of a later era . I believe they'll look better .. wider..
The Flat Bed I have for it is a Stock 1951 Ford flat bed. It's an old stake pocket bed like the old PerryCo. beds.. It even has the Ford Blue Oval Cast into the metal of the bed. & I can still buy new 8ft runners strips to place between the board in the floor of the bed. They can be either Black Painted or Chrome. I'm figuring going with the Black to match the bed .. & Since that bed is just like a 5inch piece of thin metal channel iron wrapped around the outside. It can be cut to shorten in needed. Cut it & take a few inch out of it's length .. Now if it needs lengthening that me become another issue. But i feel I could cut out the piece that is up against the cab & Replace it with just some more channel & use that as a new framework for a Head Ake Rack behind the back glass. Then I should have about 4ft piece to use to lengthen if needed .
..... But my question was about front wheels .
Could I buy some white spoke 16s that might place the tire under the lip of the front fender better.
ANY THOUGHTS.
TIA.

Last edited:

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
If you switch to 94-98 style dodge steelies, the offset tucks in the tire a little more. I'm unsure if it's identical between the chrome one and the bare steel wheels. One catch is they won't fit a dog-dish cap.

I also agree the stock 1stgen steelies are 6" wide. Wheels are measured inside the bead area.

Edit: if your plan is to run a dogdish hubcap, there were GM van wheels (72-95?) with more backspace than the pickup version. Center has to cut out to fit the dodge hub though.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Thanks U2SLOW...
MY RUNNING BUDDY has a lathe he's cut out several Dodge wheels to fit larger 4x4 hubs.
So Thanks.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Yardbird .. All I can say is thank you.
I don't think I'know 100% what i WANT. It seems every time I think I'VE GOT IT FIGURES OUT . I'm wrong again.
.. I'd hate to order them on line & them be wrong.
& I'm sure I'll just let the hang outside before spending $ 1150.00 on used wheels.
..... Reason I ask questions like this one. Some times Guys on line have a great Idea /though ... Outside the box. & You can get a great new plan. That you'd not thought of.....
so maybe I'm just fishing as much as anything.
& I'm sure attempting to do this build as close to a budget as possible.
.........Thanks & keep any thoughts come in play.
...Do you have a lionk to you favorit Cut to fit FLARES . I'd thought of them
also but they all seem to be wrinkled around the outside.
Am I wrong on that.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
After looking & thinking for a couple of weeks. I believe just acquiring a few more of those 6 inch 16 wheels Dodge wheels in most likely my best option.
& If I find I've made a bad decision Wheels are not hard to change out at a later date.
AS FOR USING THOSE CHEVY VAN wheels someone mentioned . We are still talking 8 hole wheels .& Do you have a clue at how much dish they'd add to my facing . WOULD I ONLY BE GAINING ABOUT a 1/2 inch.. or + r -. DO YOU THINK. I'm not sure They'd be worth the effort. to have to cut Those centers.
... I really want to run those larger Moon Hub Caps at least on the front.
I found some at the trailer location & they were only like 30 bucks or so.
Not bad. THEIR larger than the small one We used to run on our 14 inch 55 chevy's back in the 60's . But STILL SLIP OVER THE outside bumps of the 16'' trailer wheels . I'm thinking their app. 9.5 or 10 inch chrome smooth Moon enter caps.. I'm think those on the front & Some 2 inch or so offset on the rear. As It's a flatbed. .
I want my old Assembled Ride to be toward the Rat Rod style . Patina / Old School appeal. But not the crap welded onto the fenders & Home made bumper guards. .
I've came up with a GREEN FADED Patina Sun Visor & My Truck almost has the already perfect Red & Red primer paint on it from 15 years ago.
......I think my truck will be cool If I can get it going. If I've just got at least one more Project in me.
At least It'll suit me.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
Not sure about the Chevy wheels having more 'dish'.

I did notice when I switched to Ford 16x7 wheels, the extra inch is to the outside. Center hole is big enough.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
THANKS THAT'S A NEAT CHART for sure ..
I NEED to come back & read that chart again when I haven't had a beer.
thanks again.