What windshield washing fluid do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use Unger Professional glass cleaner. The same stuff the high-rise guys use. A 8 oz. bottle makes 25 gallons, or 5 capfuls in my Ram. I paid $8 back in 2020. 32 cents a gallon is a steal for this stuff.

It's sudsy, smells pleasant, and gets the bug juice off.

View attachment 516568
Out of curiosity, I checked Walmart's website for this stuff. A person can order it and get it with 3 day shipping. Makes 25 gallons, but the price is now $20.00.

frankherche

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I rarely have to add washer fluid because it gets filled up when I have the truck serviced. I use Blue stuff for -25 in the summer (bought 12 gallons to fill lawn tractor tires and never did it) or the green bug wash. I use -35 purple fluid when i need to refill in the winter time. Especially when the dealer fluid freezes in the winter.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Scotty is a hack.
But way better then listening to the news these days, He does get carried away at times.
I have not used rain x , but I think there is a jug around, but its summer stuff, and up here summer is a passing fad some years, so don't use summer stuff. It would make a good wash with the sponge I guess.
I remember about 1980 my tractor disappeared under a snow bank in the middle of May.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
But way better then listening to the news these days, He does get carried away at times.
I have not used rain x , but I think there is a jug around, but its summer stuff, and up here summer is a passing fad some years, so don't use summer stuff. It would make a good wash with the sponge I guess.
I remember about 1980 my tractor disappeared under a snow bank in the middle of May.
I remember the winter of 73/74 ,that was the year the snow covered our 12ft tall swings in the backyard,and Dad had to have the neighbour a mile down the road come in with his D8 to clear the yard as the 2 wheel drive John Deere wouldn't push the snow,also was the year the old man hauled us kids down to the highway on a toboggan behind the snowmobile to meet the school bus numerous times,as the buses weren't going off the highway.He also had to use the sled to go to town to get groceries.

Shockracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Orange RainX in every vehicle we have, we've never had and issue it help with heavy rain, ice and bugs from night driving.

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Im surprised the Rain-X guys haven't had any sensor issues. I ran it for 2 years and ended up with an intermittent washer low warning;
I heard that it coats the sensor causing the error.

To solve the error, I started using the refill jugs of Windex as washer fluid and it cleared the warning and leaves a nice streak free shine.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Im surprised the Rain-X guys haven't had any sensor issues. I ran it for 2 years and ended up with an intermittent washer low warning;
I heard that it coats the sensor causing the error.
I used Orange rain x ( good to -25 below zero) in my 06 for 12.5 years also used it in my wife's old 2018 Journey for 3 years an we never had any problems while using it, I l also know of others who use it without having problems so don't understand why only some have problems when using it...

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I used Orange rain x ( good to -25 below zero) in my 06 for 12.5 years also used it in my wife's old 2018 Journey for 3 years an we never had any problems while using it, I l also know of others who use it without having problems so don't understand why only some have problems when using it...
I'm wondering if it was because I was using the yellow rain-x all weather...? I should mention that I still put the orange stuff in wifey's Audi because she's had no issues and I like that it helps her see better in the rain at night.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm wondering if it was because I was using the yellow rain-x all weather...? I should mention that I still put the orange stuff in wifey's Audi because she's had no issues and I like that it helps her see better in the rain at night.

Did not know they had yellow bottles of rain x washer additive ( had to look it up ) I have only seen & used the below photo of rain x @ $3.97 a jug at Walmart...

Attachments

• 1e4954c8-dbf3-4995-871f-fd005d4a5bd6_1.359dcb2a41975e14ea5fba61cee689f1.jpeg
    1e4954c8-dbf3-4995-871f-fd005d4a5bd6_1.359dcb2a41975e14ea5fba61cee689f1.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm in Canada so maybe its only sold in colder climates, I think its good to -40c or something like that. But now that I'm thinking about it, I bet it has some type of extra antifreeze solution in it which would coat the sensors.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm in Canada so maybe its only sold in colder climates, I think its good to -40c or something like that. But now that I'm thinking about it, I bet it has some type of extra antifreeze solution in it which would coat the sensors.
I noticed rain x has a jug that is Purple and it's called a De-Icer, I have never used it and based on how we'll the orange rain x works for me, that and I am no longer living where I will see sub zero winter temps have no need to try it...

br427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Two things. If you use the Summer stuff and you live in an area that gets Winter, there is always the chance that there will be some of the non antifreeze wash left in the bottom of the tank, freeze and possibly split the tank. Then there is the Rain X type stuff that always seems to leave a **** on the Windshield that you can't get rid of and is of no benifit. I'd stick to the Blue Winter W/S Wash year round and I'm talking from over 40 years of driving experience with over a million miles.

TSR6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stay away from anything dark, the light blue stuff is what you want. I got the darker rainex crap and it ruined my sprayers.

It will also mess with the electronic fluid level sensors in the Ram trucks. You have to remove the sensor and clean it to get rid of the low level alert.

It's fairly easy to to, but still, this is the reason I stick to the blue fluid anymore:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Plain old Blue Stuff, good to -9800° C, year round.
No Overpriced, leave gunk on the windshield and crap out the sprayer Rain-X , for me.
No other, latest & greatest gimmcky Carp either.

It's Windshield Washer Fluid.
No Reason to re-invent the Wheel,
nor pay someone, who claims, they've re-invented the Wheel.

But, in the end, as with each and everyone of us all, you do you.
Just know, the Cool Dads think you Rain-X users are goofy looking with your ball caps turn backwards & your pants h anging below your knee's.

and,
STAY OFF M Y DARNED LAWN !!!!!

LOL

hehehehe

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It will also mess with the electronic fluid level sensors in the Ram trucks. You have to remove the sensor and clean it to get rid of the low level alert.
I had this issue for the longest time before I figured it out, Too Lazy to pull the sensor so I just ran some windex through and it cleared the sensor after some good squirts

One of those youtube guys should do a test of what's in each option of fluid, I think the stuff that gunks up the sensor has some type of anti-gel in it or something.

Plain old Blue Stuff, good to -9800° C, year round.

-9800C is about right :anitoof: whats in that stuff anyways? Last week I was looking at going to the same orange Rain-X wifey uses. But a friend of mine just bought a lot sale from an auto shop going under and I ended up with almost a full pallet of the blue stuff for just under 1$/gal, Ill be using it for awhile :driver:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I had this issue for the longest time before I figured it out, Too Lazy to pull the sensor so I just ran some windex through and it cleared the sensor after some good squirts

One of those youtube guys should do a test of what's in each option of fluid, I think the stuff that gunks up the sensor has some type of anti-gel in it or something.

-9800C is about right :anitoof: whats in that stuff anyways? Last week I was looking at going to the same orange Rain-X wifey uses. But a friend of mine just bought a lot sale from an auto shop going under and I ended up with almost a full pallet of the blue stuff for just under 1$/gal, Ill be using it for awhile :driver:

I live in Iowa, gets Cold aroudn here.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963