What would you do with your Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RWlRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 4X4 - Replaced 12-31-17 with '04 1500 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi.....wow what a difference 10 years makes.....
I used to have a 1994 SLT 4X4 that was in great shape. In 2015 I had the transmission done....$3K....in 2016, with 149K I had my local guy drop in a rebuilt Jasper motor for just shy of $6K.....it even came with a warranty......
November 2017 a f#ckin Prius totaled it....
If I needed another motor, I'd go with the Jasper again....

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Without a engine it is obviously not worth as much. With a 2012, in my current situation I would sell it or trade it and buy new. But that is because it is my daily driver, I could need to tow a trailer at any time, I routinely need to get wood or things I carry in the bed, and I would plan on keeping it for at least 10 years as I always do. If that sounds like you, then maybe my opinion helps. Good luck

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see everybody says to get a new engine or buy something used ? how about a rebuild ?
I only have had to deal with something similar once back in 2000-2001 with a 1999 Camaro that had a water pump failure and the thing overheated and the engine was knocking. I took it to a small shop who back then used to rebuild engines and they did my engine for 3k and change and they also installed a crane cam i wanted as part of the deal.

I have 100k miles in my truck now and i'm hoping to keep this truck for a big while. it's fully paid off and i have thrown quite the pennies to it so i'm keeping this facker until my kids can drive it. My 12 yo son dreams with driving the thing in the future with a long travel kit :)

Joshua Collins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2023
Engine
6.7 & 5.7
If it where me i would have a local shop rebuild it with a stroker kit and a small cam. For $15k you could have a really stout motor and have the transmission done easily. But thats my 2 cents.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it was me I would pull engine out flush it out check bearings and just throw a cam in it not hard to do mine had bad damage and now i am over 200k miles it will be fine $1000 in parts or just find a good used low mileage engine sounds like the dealer is trying to get one over on you 15k LOL thats funny.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
My son owns an automotive repair shop. He installs new engines and used ones often. No big deal as long as the model years match up.

Jeff Ellis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dropped a remanufactured engine from Frasier into my 2012. Engine $4500 and labor $2000. if ya repair what ya have or drop a new engine, you will eventually have the same issue due to the poor design of this gen of HEMi. Frasier addresses the oiling and valve seat issues in their remanufactured engines. I have 30,000 miles on it now....No ticks at all even at start up. Very Happy. Paid for truck new quiet engine, except at the exhaust pipes!...Happy

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you already put about $3k into the truck and now looking at another $15k for a new motor, you will have spent about a third of the cost of a new vehicle on one that is going on 10 years old ... You would be better off, as others have suggested, to look for a decent engine from a wrecking yard, or, the cost of having your engine rebuilt ...
Personally, due to the age of the truck, I couldn't justify putting that kind of money into it ... You never know what might break down next ... Good luck in whatever you decide ...

rneal55555

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find a low mileage used engine or a rebuilt for it and enjoy many more miles You won't be able to find another one like for less.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it were me :) I would get a Cummins and convert it over, either way, rebuild what you have or get a Cummins, still cheaper than a new one!

Kayakbiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Used or Rebuild or new motor. Then trade it in if I didn't feel good about the rest of the truck lasting.

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifter and cam failure. What oil did you run over the course of the truck's life? And did you idle a lot? Just curious.

If itd were me, and the body is still in real good shape, I'd find a used powertrain.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I need to start selling $15,000.00 engines! A co-worker had a reman Jasper put in for $6k, actually less than $6k.

Without knowing your financial situation, and how tolerant of having to be fixing things, I can't make a reasonably intelligent response.

I'm not you.

I'd order a new GT, exactly the way I want it, and pay cash.

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would be a tough call for me. New motor? rebuild? Maybe a performance boost as well, but then what about the tranny? If you drop $12k-$15k on a motor and the tranny flies apart a few months down the road, are you prepared to spend another $3k or so on a transmission? No insurance company will pay what it's really worth if it's totaled. In fact they total it for a lot less than $15k.

Places like Carmax are paying premium prices for sharp clean trucks. I'd have to consider selling it and finding a new lower mileage Ram.
Sharp and clean, sure, but with a dead engine, pretty sure even CarMax wouldn't touch it.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would wake up those nice dogs in pic. and get their ***'s pulling! Otherwise I would find some one who could rebuild it, trade it in when market gets little better.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
A full rebuild might be a cheaper option provided they don't find anything catastrophically wrong with it.
Frankly, I'd drop a 392 crate motor in there and keep it forever...
Still cheaper than trading it off even if you could find a new one to trade for.

Here's a link to a cool article about tearing down a Hemi with 235,000 miles on it.
Amazing what great shape the block and crank were in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Sharp and clean, sure, but with a dead engine, pretty sure even CarMax wouldn't touch it.
Yes they would, but they would make a lowball offer and I wouldn't blame them. They are in the business to make money.

Back to the topic: the best bet is to put a rebuilt engine in it and keep the truck at least until the reman. engine's warranty runs out. In today's crazy used market it doesn't make sense to replace your truck. You may get more than you thought but then you'll pay thousands more than what the vehicle was worth a year ago. Even the new ones are through the roof and there are no rebates anymore.

MOPAR78

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Mine's a keeper too and is still running strong at 315,000 miles. I'm planning on a complete overhaul so I've been purchasing parts as I find good deals and have the funds. I bought a complete new factory motor that's 100% complete with all pieces. $6400.00 no core charge and shipping included, just plug and play.

Engine1.jpgEngine2.jpgEngine3.jpgEngine4.jpgEngine5.jpg