What would you do with your Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elvira

Reaction score
If it was me, i love my little truck...your 2012 with mileage as it is will not bring major money towards anything newer. So, bottom dollar for me would be a good used motor, hard to invest 15 k into a 2012 with high mileage....would be better off with a payment and a new truck. If you like the truck, colour, options etc, keep it and do your best for a used motor instead of a crate engine or a rebuild. I would consider crate engine if it was a decent priced like 5 or 6k..but I am a mechanic too and no need for others to do the work for me.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys are scaring me. I just bought a '12 yesterday. has 93k on it. I have always had way older vehicles. This 12 is supposed to replace a 99 Dakota that still runs fantastic besides being underpowered being a 3.9, and the fact it is literally dissolving before my eyes.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Based on todays market and uncertain economy, I would have your engine rebuilt and not look back.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I'd either do cam and lifters, change the oil and drive it, or a used engine and drive it.

My 11 has 150k on it and if it ever fails, I'll fix it the same way.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’d go the change engine route. I have a 2011 5.7 and have already redone the engine and just waiting for my new trans to arrive. I put way to much money into my truck to just let her go. Even if I didn’t put lots of coin into her, I’d still go the engine rebuild or used engine. I have 165,000 miles on the truck.

JPW2017Rebel

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish you good luck man, because that is a hard decision, given what prices are for new ones, and how the dealerships are raking people over the coals for used ones. If it were me, I'd try to get a rebuilt engine, and have a good, recommended mechanic to install it.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
15k i would hellcat swap the motor if i was going to keep it. you can find a crate engine on ebay for that much...

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
15k i would hellcat swap the motor if i was going to keep it. you can find a crate engine on ebay for that much...
I assume without the supercharger, that price sounds about right for the hellcat motor. MMX also has the demon motor available now lol, for more of course.

My understanding is a hellcat motors going to require the hellcat Trans and driveshaft(s). I assume the trackhawk tcase as well? Regardless, way more than 15k total.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I assume without the supercharger, that price sounds about right for the hellcat motor. MMX also has the demon motor available now lol, for more of course.

My understanding is a hellcat motors going to require the hellcat Trans and driveshaft(s). I assume the trackhawk tcase as well? Regardless, way more than 15k total.

LOL yea i am sure you might be a touch over once all said and done. Take a look at ebay some time the prices you see are crazy lmao.
i am sure you can find a conversion plate for it and just need a new ECU of the sorts. If there is the will there is a way.....

hell cat motor

TRX motor

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL yea i am sure you might be a touch over once all said and done. Take a look at ebay some time the prices you see are crazy lmao.
i am sure you can find a conversion plate for it and just need a new ECU of the sorts. If there is the will there is a way.....

hell cat motor

TRX motor
Haha for sure. Looks like the hellcat crate is 15k through mmx too. 8750 without supercharger. For 250 more at 9k, you can get the demon without supercharger. There's also a crate redeye for 21.8k lol. So many choices :eek:

I've been staring at this stuff for so long I'm getting my prices mixed up lol

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha for sure. Looks like the hellcat crate is 15k through mmx too. 8750 without supercharger. For 250 more at 9k, you can get the demon without supercharger. There's also a crate redeye for 21.8k lol. So many choices :eek:

I've been staring at this stuff for so long I'm getting my prices mixed up lol

lmao yeah but if you want a factory like built motor its really had to beat for that much HP for the price.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Great….. another thread that’s going to cost me more money $$$$. :oops::cool::cool:

Wrencher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everybody,

It's been a while since I've been active on the forum but I thought I would bring my question to this trusted community. I'll try to keep it short and hopefully I'm following the rules....

About six months ago I started having some issues with my 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab. 165,000 miles. Constant overheating. Changed thermostat twice, carburetor, fan clutch. Ran great for a couple of months. Then I started getting "Cylinder misfire" codes and took it to my mechanic and thought that was fixed. About a week ago, my truck was running horribly at start and at idle and I decided to bypass my regular mechanic and take it to a local dealership. I got the bad news a couple days after....cam and lifter failed, metal everywhere in my motor. $15k to put in a new engine. I am devastated to say the least.

My question is...what would you do with your beloved ram? It's been paid off for a while, has been a great truck. It's still beautiful inside and out. But I'm obviously not paying $15k at the dealership to put a new engine in. Do I try to find an engine myself and someone to replace it for me? In the past six months, I've already put about $2500-3000 into it so should I walk away from it and try to get something out of it? I know it really comes down to my choice, but curious what other people would do in my situation? And yes, my mechanic has been fired

View attachment 247582
That is a tough one
Hey everybody,

It's been a while since I've been active on the forum but I thought I would bring my question to this trusted community. I'll try to keep it short and hopefully I'm following the rules....

About six months ago I started having some issues with my 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab. 165,000 miles. Constant overheating. Changed thermostat twice, carburetor, fan clutch. Ran great for a couple of months. Then I started getting "Cylinder misfire" codes and took it to my mechanic and thought that was fixed. About a week ago, my truck was running horribly at start and at idle and I decided to bypass my regular mechanic and take it to a local dealership. I got the bad news a couple days after....cam and lifter failed, metal everywhere in my motor. $15k to put in a new engine. I am devastated to say the least.

My question is...what would you do with your beloved ram? It's been paid off for a while, has been a great truck. It's still beautiful inside and out. But I'm obviously not paying $15k at the dealership to put a new engine in. Do I try to find an engine myself and someone to replace it for me? In the past six months, I've already put about $2500-3000 into it so should I walk away from it and try to get something out of it? I know it really comes down to my choice, but curious what other people would do in my situation? And yes, my mechanic has been fired
That's a tough one. Personally i would explore engines. Had a 2nd gen. With 340k on it. Was looking at low mile used and crate motors before it was totaled by drunk driver. I Let mine go, would cost waaay to muck to rebuild for it's value.

Wrencher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's a tough one. Personally i would explore engines. Had a 2nd gen. With 340k on it. Was looking at low mile used and crate motors before it was totaled by drunk driver. I Let mine go, would cost waaay to muck to rebuild for it's value. New and used markets suck right now so I'd say fix it and ride on.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it were me, I'd remove the oil filter and cut it open and see what was in it. Look in the oil (in a clean container). That would give a little idea going into things what ya 'might' be in for.

Then I'd pull the engine and have a look at it before deciding weather to rebuild it or buy a crate engine. It might be ok, and not need a whole lot. There have been numerous owners who've had a cam issue and metal shavings and everything was fine except the cam phaser, oil pump, etc. But main rotating assembly was fine. You might get lucky. Have your heads pressure-checked and redone b/c it sounds like you might have a bad head gasket going on.

But if there was major damage, then a guy would have to evaluate weather to redo the block, find a different block, or buy a crate engine. I would personally do all the work myself other than the shop work on the block or heads.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody know what course of action the OP eventually took?

Elvira

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

View attachment 247582
I would put a used engine in it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye