What year did Ram change the exhaust manifold setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will be buying another truck down the road and want to buy another 1500 with the Hemi, so like my header says, what year did Ram change the exhaust manifold to a more reliable setup that won't break the bolts on them?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I have seen there is no definitive proof that they did.

I have seen some posters mention different dates around 2017.

I hope they are right but I doubt they are.

OP
OP
AkNoad2

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think you are right, I did a little more research here and it seems that this is still an ongoing problem. I was hoping they had fixed it because I really like these trucks but I am sick and tired of having to fix this same issue every 4-6 months and I shouldn't have to put headers on to fix a problem that Dodge/Ram created.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately they all have their issues.

I know Ford had a problem with their exhaust manifold studs for years. Ford cheaped out on the studs and they would quickly rust until they snapped off, usually flush with the head. PITA to remove and the fix was to replace them with a stainless steel stud that they should have come with in the first place.

You can't seem to completely win with anything you buy these days. You are guaranteed to be fixing something stupid that should not have been built the way it was.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a set of shortys from Matt. Told my dealership to put them on (before I had a problem). Wrote the dealership a check. Not that big of a deal.

it could not have been very expensive, because I can’t remember what it cost.

JLEONARD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2018 just had it happen. 55k miles. All 4 Rams I've owned have done this.

Rodenti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 Ram 1500 Sport had the manifold on one side fixed last week under extended warranty due to broken bolts. Only 76000km on it, and the dealership said that I will most likely be back for the other side in the next couple of years.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
On some of the 5th gen trucks they have different manifolds with extra studs and braces. Good news is the studs don’t break anymore from what I’ve seen, but now the manifolds crack right in the middle.
This. If they have the tie bars, it likely won't break the bolts but will crack the manifold. If no tie bars, then it can still break the bolts. All that heat has to go somewhere....

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
This. If they have the tie bars, it likely won't break the bolts but will crack the manifold. If no tie bars, then it can still break the bolts. All that heat has to go somewhere....
my 2018 has the tie bars