What's the Best Hard Tonneau for 5th Gen Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bought my hard trifold at Walmart about 4 years ago think it is a fiberglass top. No scratches, leak-proof easy to remove, latches clip on side rail bottom so didn't need hardware. All for under $400. I came from a Pace Edwards rollback hard cover of about 13 years, worked okay but leaked a bit and impossible in the winter in Upstate NY. Good luck.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
To help assure the new hard tonneau cover does not leak, I used better weatherstripping on top of the bed head wall. While the fit and quality of the BAKFlip bed cover is outstanding, the weatherstripping they send with it is pretty weak looking. The stuff I used is a little thicker and made out of dense foam rubber.

Tonneau07.jpg

I beveled the edges of the weatherstripping where is meets the plastic side caps of the bed and put some black RTV sealant beneath it. Then I tacked that in place temporarily with masking tape until ready to install the cover.

Tonneau08.jpg

On the BedMat carpet, it came with a plastic strip that was supposed to go behind the edge of the inspection plate on the tailgate and then clip to the carpet. But the plastic strip was up too high in the that position and interfered with the seal on the bed cover. Instead, I used the top row of bolts on the tailgate inspection plate to hold the carpet in place. I put plastic spacers and stainless steel washers on these bolts behind the carpet to hold the carpet flush. This is all I needed to hold the carpet in place. I did not use any of the Velcro or adhesive because they would have required me to sand the contact area on the stray-in bed liner. And I didn't want to damage the bed liner finish. And I didn't need to. With the heavy backing on the BedMat carpet and the tonneau cover, everything stays in place nicely. And since the cover will only be open when hauling something, the carpet can't move due to wind.

TirePressure06.jpg

For a bed divider, I lucked out. Since this truck came with the bed package, it has the rails and movable tie-down points in it already. In my pile of ever-growing junk, I had a new cargo net for a Chrysler 200. This was placed in the trunk of our former 2017 Charger R/T by mistake. It wasn't long enough to work in the Charger's trunk. So the dealership gave us another one that did fit and the dealer didn't want the one we got back.

TirePressure04.jpg

Turned out it's a pretty perfect fit. All I need to do was install a cargo jack below it to hold it down. This should be perfect to keep groceries and other relatively light stuff from sliding to the front of the bed.

TirePressure05.jpg

I believe my sweetie is going to be really happy with this setup. :cool:

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone interested in bed covers or bed mats please feel free to message me and give us supporting vendors a shot. We have great pricing on bed covers and bed mats

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I just ordered a Diamondback SE for my 2021 with 6'-4 bed. All aluminum and will support 400lbs.
Welcome to the forum, Tim! You should tell us about yourself and your truck in the "Introductions" section. ;)