What's the Best Hard Tonneau for 5th Gen Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Just bought my sweetie (wife of 3 decades) a 2021 Ram Laramie. It's needs a hard tonneau bed cover. But which one is best? I need opinions and advice.

So far, I'm looking at the BAKFlip G2 or Fibermax tonneau covers. Or should I be looking at the MX4 or F1? What about other brands? What about the hard tonneau covers that roll up rather than fold? I'm so confused. Help! o_O

Carla2021Ram02.jpg

Bigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dude, I know what you mean. Before buying my truck I was looking at them and was ripping my hair to figure this one out.
I ended up going Bison Flip-up Tri-Fold cover. The price is good and I think it looks good as well.

IMO, go with what you want and like. Here's a pic of mine, hope it help and good luck! Nice looking truck you have! :)

20210528_190434.jpg

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say "hard tonneau cover" are you talking about the fiberglass cover that is hinged at the front of the bed and lifts up in the back, Kind of like the front hood of the truck or are you talking about a hard folding tonneau cover?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
How important is 100% water tight? I haven’t found a single tri fold that is perfect it’s just the nature of the the design they aren’t bad it’s a few dribbles of water after a hard rain but that’s just a deal breaker for some. I personally have a fiber max and I am much happier with the fibermax than I was with my G2, the fit and finish of the fibermax was a lot better.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I would like one that does not leak. It's for me wife and she will likely want to keep a few things back there. I know that most of the better ones for Rams sometimes leak along the front of the bed where they strayed the bed liner over the top of the front head wall. That can be solved with either a better weather strip or a better front seal design like Lomax has. Sometimes, water can also come in around the tailgate since they have no seals from the factory.

In general, I want the following:

1. It well designed not to leak. I will deal with the weather strip and tailgate myself.

2. The top doesn't easily scratch. Some are just painted aluminum and the paint comes off easily.

3. Doesn't dent. My yard is covered in very tall pine trees. Limbs fall all the time.

4. Allows the tail age to close easily and normally. And the tailgate should be able to open using the truck's automatic function. My wife should not have to lift the back panel or do anything special when opening or closing the tailgate.

5. The hard tonneau covers needs to be low-profile. Folding or retracting would be fine. I am not looking for a fiberglass bed cap.

I don't care much about ease of opening or closing. The tonneau cover will likely stay closed for 99.5% of the truck's life.

UPSman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I was shopping for mine but on a budget. Ended up with the LoPro “tri-fold” (actually only folds 2 times) from Rough Country. Got mine for around 630 shipped. Sits flush, minor leaks around where the tailgate closes. Some additional weather stripping solves it. Overall I have no complaints. A few hundred more will get you a true tri-fold so it stands up against back glass with the kickstands. But for the money, I’m happy with it.

Attachments

• F3C0D28C-7017-452A-B205-C10F41FE6F21.jpeg
    F3C0D28C-7017-452A-B205-C10F41FE6F21.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 20

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
After reading your list your going to have to deal with some water. The only ones I know of that don’t leak at all are the fiberglass tops and the won’t allow the function of the tailgate with out opening. I am a big fan of my bak flip fibermax. I get minimal water in hard rain or car washes and that’s from the tailgate area it does pour in but there is water that rolls around in the bed, for what it’s worth I would drive through a pouring rain with suitcases in the bed and not worry. It sounds like your on the best track with the bakflip covers that make a great product.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i dont think youll find one that doesnt get at least a little water in the bed. the only one that i know of that wont is the fiberglass one i mentioned previously that you lift up. you dont want that one because it overlaps the tail gate and youll need to open that before you can open the tail gate. i just bought a soft roll up cover and installed it just before we had a rain storm and i had just a tiny bit of water intrusion at the tail gate end. i think a couple seals will help a little but im not worried. i have no problems keeping anything in the bed because any water that may get in is very minimal. good luck in your search for the perfect cover

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If money is no object and it was for me, I would go with the Retrax Pro MX retractable cover. Like some of the other guys said tho the only bedcovers that don’t leak are the hard ones.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Retrax is a very good option for a retractable cover. If you want a hard trifold then either the BAK MX4 or Access Lomax.

We offer most brands and can offer you great pricing Message me for a quote on anything

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
I appreciate all the advice. Money is always important to me. So in the end, I decided on the BAKFlip F1. It's well-made, dent resistant, scratch resistant and the reported leak issues are a known quantity that I can likely remedy with some better weatherstripping at the head wall.

I called BAKFlip directly and got the same discount all others were offering and near immediate shipping. Total was $944.89 plus tax. Shipping was free.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Congrats bak flip makes a good product. Where I have issues with the water I’m pretty sure is between the tailgate and the bedside at the top by the bedcover, that’s the widest open place. I don’t have any issues with the front of the bed up by the cab.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Just ordered a Bedrug #XLTBMT19CCS. AutoAnything has them for 10% off.

Budrug.jpg

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i like bakflip, I went with the mx4 for mine and am very happy with it. No scratches or dents of note after almost 5 years. It does leak a little, but if I wasn't so lazy I could probably fix that with some adjustments. but I use the back for mostly hauling stuff and it gets pretty beat up. so not that big of a deal to me right now.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I’m on my 3rd Ram. Put an Undercover Tonneau on each. I get the black ABS ones but they do make paint to match too. The ABS won’t scratch, my kids used to sit on top of one of mine in lawn chairs at the drive in movies. Never scratched it. I’ll get grief for this but I’ve never had any water get past mine. They are easy to install. Did my last two myself. Easy to take off if need to haul a large item. You do have to lift them to open the tailgate. Lots of options on tonneaus. Pick one that fits your needs and budget.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Wow! My hard tonneau cover and bed mat have already arrived. Shipping seems to be getting faster and faster!

LaramieStuff01.jpg

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi (no e-Torque)
Behind the scenes, some folk have been suggesting that I might end up having to live in this fixed-up truck bed after my sweetie throws me out. But for me, I was thinking of this covered and carpeted truck bed as a potential spot for some off-road romance for me and my sweetie. That's how it used to go down 40 years ago when we were both young teenagers. However, I suspect our days of lovin' in the back of a vehicle are coming to a close. But maybe not. Who knows? :love62:

Aelwulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I was going to suggest Peragon as well, as it's done well so far on mine and is supposed to have minimal water issues (none will be waterproof most likely). But Bakflip or A.R.E. were my backup considerations. Good luck with it!

Jaywoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 & 2018
Engine
Hemi 5.7 & Cummins
I’ve got the bakflip F1 on my 2018 Cummins, and the MX4 on my 2021 1500. I kinda like the MX4 better. i like the look better, it’s a little lighter. Both keep the bed fairly dry but during heavy rain there is still some water getting in While driving. You‘ll like it.