what's this black box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Other than a CIA tracking device, any idea what this black box behind the rear view mirror on the windshield is?

A09ADC95-2855-4A33-B241-C0DB0D43D692.jpg

It has four (or maybe three) wires coming out and running into the headliner.

Truck is new to us but has had several previous owners so I don't know if this is stock or something added aftermarket for remote start, security, etc - all we got was one key.... and I believe the truck ('04 1500 SLT) is supposed to have remote key fobs??

There is also a mystery wire pair hanging out under the steering column with a momentary push button switch on it - as soon as it is not 145 degrees outside I'm going to pull the kick panel and try to figure out where that runs...

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one on my car when I added an aftermarket remote entry system. Probably related to that if you bought your truck used.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is definitely for an aftermarket alarm. On Google type in, "aftermarket car alarm antenna." That exact product popped up multiple times. Searching those terms.

What does the key you got with the truck look like?

OP
OP
M

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yep - looks like there was an aftermarket alarm as I also found a shock sensor and I'm guessing the push-button switch under the dash is the "valet programming button". We only received a plain old key - no key fob, etc.

This weekend I'll pull things to see how much of the alarm is left - likely yank it all out perhaps - do want to get replacement key fobs assuming those would still work....