wheel alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ashman155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bought brand new tires for a 2018 crew cab at a tire shop Kal Tire. they told me they couldn't do a wheel alignment with the new tires. Asked why?? said that the adjuster sleeve was welded to two nuts on either side of the adjuster. I damn near fell out of my chair when told that. Soo I get ahold of the dealer make an appointment told yep this was a recall and the engineers idea was to weld the nuts to the adjuster sleeve so that they don't become loose and create an accident when driving. I said you got to be kidding me. Nope was the reply. when it was all done yep you guessed it they tack welded the nuts back into place on the adjuster i talked to the shop foreman about this and said would it not be sensible to use two more nuts to counter act against the nuts that hold the adjuster into place. Yep was the answer anyone with half a brain knows that, but our bright engineers thought this would be better. So now you got a front end mechanic to weld all this back into place after he is done. My question is are these guys qualified to be welders also to do this job? Scary thought. This has lead to big manufacturers to force you to take their vehicles back to the dealer to get this job done of a wheel alignment. What about other car manufacturers do they do the same thing for front end work. talk about a scam to get you in the door and hoping you buy a new vehicle from them while yours is getting fixed.

OP
OP
A

ashman155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You're kidding was this done only on certain models and year of truck. That is crazy

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Welcome to the forum. That's crazy about your truck.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as far as I know they have a replacement for drag link on the 3/4 tons but you need to fight to ge them to replace N/C
Search for posting on the subject

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That was the initial fix before they updated the TSB with the new parts.

Quite a few owners had this happen and some stopped the service department when they found out what the "cure" was.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does your truck NEED an alignment? Front end alignments have pretty wide specs. Maybe the alignment is just fine. Have it checked to see if it's within specs.

I've slapped together restored vehicles where I replaced every bushing and steering part ...literally eyeballed it to drive it to the alignment shop, and when they measured everything out all it needed was a slight tow adjustment (which I already knew it was slightly out).

Welding the adjuster sleeve they probably just tacked it in a couple places. It shouldn't affect strength. The goal is to keep the threaded parts from rotating (sheer pressure ..and there's almost no sheer pressure there). The welds can always be cut and there might be enough room to pull the 'tow' in ..just a scootch. If not, the alignment guy should be able to run the tie rod ends out and clean up the threads with a thread cleaning bar. Worst case you can always replace the drag link with a new one. If the current alignment is within specs and drives nice, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe when the tk reaches higher mileage where the tie rod ends may start showing wear, replace it then. Yer not talking big bucks.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
As said above the adjuster isn’t welded solid, just the length of one of the flats of the adjuster. You don’t need to be a certified welder, the weld just needs to be strong enough to pass a torque test of 77 ft/lbs. According to service procedure you are not supposed to grind the welds off to perform an alignment the re weld the drag link. If the drag link needs to be adjusted it’s supposed to be replaced.

There actually is a procedure in the manual on how to perform an alignment on a truck with a welded drag link.

Personally as an FCA tech I feel the drag links should have just been replaced from the start.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Look in the Heavy Duty forum here. Here is one of the threads about this recall:

According to Mopar, if the initial weld is ever removed, the drag link should be replaced. It should not be rewelded.

RamShark1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Question; I have experienced an alignment problem from a slight front right tire swipe hit and run. Alignment guy aligned everything, not finding anything obviously bent or broken but once aligned wheel is off center. Truck had the weld recall service. I call Dodge service rep about how to center wheel, telling me to have alignment guy grind off welds, center and bring to him to check to specs and they would weld again. But you are saying a service manual states Not to weld again?? Could I find that literature? I am now sitting with a compromised drag link and worried to take truck to Dodge from what you say. What is better, buying a new OEM link assembly or the Synergy aftermarket? At this point I just want it done and properly strong.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is from the service manual for setting toe/centre steering wheel with a welded drag link. There is also the note to not remove the welds.

TOE SETTING PROCEDURE FOR TRUCKS WITH DRAG LINK RECALL WELD

NOTE:​
If the drag link adjustment sleeve has been welded in a recall, do not remove the weld. If a vehicle with a welded drag link adjustment sleeve requires adjustment the drag link must be replaced.​

Pre-Alignment Inspection

Before starting wheel alignment, the following inspection and necessary corrections must be completed. Refer to the suspension and steering system diagnosis chart for additional information.

1. Inspect tires for size, air pressure, and tread wear.
  2. Inspect front wheel bearings for wear.
  3. Inspect front wheels for excessive radial or lateral runout and balance.
  4. Inspect the ball studs, linkage pivot points, and the steering gear for looseness, roughness, or binding.
  5. Inspect the suspension components for wear and noise.
  6. Road test the vehicle.

Toe Setting Procedure

1. Start the engine and turn the steering wheel both ways and center the steering wheel as best as possible. Turn off engine.

NOTE:​
    With the vehicle in a level position, verify the drag link/tie rod ball joints are not twisted and are centered. Rotate drag link/tie rod until ball joints are level, top of ball joint housing is level with the steering knuckle.​
  2. Adjust right wheel toe position between 0.00° and 0.20° by turning the steering wheel. Lock the steering wheel. If left wheel toe position is within 0.00° and 0.20°, no alignment is needed. If not, proceed to step 3.
  3. Adjust the left wheel toe position to match the right wheel position with the tie rod adjuster sleeve. Verify a level tie rod ball joint. Position the clamp bolts to their original position and tighten to the proper torque specifications. Make sure the toe setting does not change during tightening.