Wheel bearing/hub assemblies are a pain to change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Bearings went bad around 225k. Drove on them for a bit, but decided to try to replace them recently to reduce unnecessary wear on an almost brand new set of tires. I lifted the truck onto my jack, and attempted to remove the caliper bracket bolts. They were pretty stuck on there, but came off without too much trouble. Then came the bolts on the back side of the hub where it meets the steering knuckle. My truck is 2wd so no front axles, makes it a lot easier to do the job. Couldn't get the rear hub bolts off for the life of me. Didn't have much daylight left, so I decided to cut my losses, reassemble what I had taken apart and continue driving on the worn bearing. Any tips to get those back bolts off? I have a breaker bar, but not a very long one. it's 19 inches i believe. and I was doing everything without being able to turn the steering knuckle, with the wheels straight. i was jacking from one corner, my jack struggles to lift the entire front end of the truck. tips are appreciated

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Once you have the brake caliper and bracket off of the steering knuckle, pull the rotor off and spray the tips of the bolts where they stick through the hub assembly with some penetrating oil of your choice. Then I would use a
6-point impact socket and a longer breaker bar or use a cheater pipe on your current breaker bar to break them loose. I havent had to use hand tools to break them loose in a long time. My 1/2" impact does the trick. Take your time and you will get them loose.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bolts won't be the worst part, you're still gonna have to remove that steel hub from that aluminum spindle lol. I just went through this recently, had a stuck caliper that fragged the hub. Ultimately had to remove the spindle from the front suspension and sledgehammer that ****** out. Lotsa antiseize when it goes back in.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Jeff Hardaway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 quad cab Bighorn. I have a slight vibration in the gas pedal and I have uneven tread wear, so I started researching what it could be. I thought it was the wheel hub assembly and I ordered a pair for the front end. I literally spent 8 hours and a couple hundred on tools and at first I couldn't get the upper control arm lose. Finally got it, then the hub assembly bolts took forever to get lose, finally! I got them lose and I swear I spent 3 hours hammering and spraying with pb blaster. Those things are stuck! I couldn't get it off and after 3 hours I gave up. I know I could grind off a wheel stud and pull it and try to screw it into the opposite side and all the tricks but I don't have the time. I put it all back together and I guess ill have to save up and have a mechanic put them in. Im pissed because 1Aauto made it seem really really simple and it could be if the parts are newer but im at 180k almost and they have never been changed. My steering components look worn and my shocks are leaking some sort of goo. Im thinking ill just buy new steering components and new front shocks and just get it all replaced at once. Hopefully it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.