Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ram Forum :

Wheel bearing/hub assemblies are a pain to change

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Logan Klein, May 30, 2019.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. Logan Klein

Logan Klein Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    4.7 Magnum
    Bearings went bad around 225k. Drove on them for a bit, but decided to try to replace them recently to reduce unnecessary wear on an almost brand new set of tires. I lifted the truck onto my jack, and attempted to remove the caliper bracket bolts. They were pretty stuck on there, but came off without too much trouble. Then came the bolts on the back side of the hub where it meets the steering knuckle. My truck is 2wd so no front axles, makes it a lot easier to do the job. Couldn't get the rear hub bolts off for the life of me. Didn't have much daylight left, so I decided to cut my losses, reassemble what I had taken apart and continue driving on the worn bearing. Any tips to get those back bolts off? I have a breaker bar, but not a very long one. it's 19 inches i believe. and I was doing everything without being able to turn the steering knuckle, with the wheels straight. i was jacking from one corner, my jack struggles to lift the entire front end of the truck. tips are appreciated

2. Fast69Mopar

Fast69Mopar Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    Once you have the brake caliper and bracket off of the steering knuckle, pull the rotor off and spray the tips of the bolts where they stick through the hub assembly with some penetrating oil of your choice. Then I would use a
    6-point impact socket and a longer breaker bar or use a cheater pipe on your current breaker bar to break them loose. I havent had to use hand tools to break them loose in a long time. My 1/2" impact does the trick. Take your time and you will get them loose.

Karlsweg and tidefan1967 like this.
  3. 0rion

0rion Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.9 cummins
    Heat around them with a torch.

4. HemiLonestar

HemiLonestar Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 hemi
    Bolts won't be the worst part, you're still gonna have to remove that steel hub from that aluminum spindle lol. I just went through this recently, had a stuck caliper that fragged the hub. Ultimately had to remove the spindle from the front suspension and sledgehammer that fucker out. Lotsa antiseize when it goes back in.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk