Wheel help Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all I am newer to the forum and this is my first time posting on here. I am considering dropping down from 20" wheels to 18" wheels and I am confused about what I would need to do this. I would probably go 18X9 with somewhere between a 0 to 20 offset. My question is: I see some wheels with 87.1mm centerbore, 106.5mm centerbore and some with 110.5mm centerbore. So, I am wondering which centerbore I would need? Also, other than new wheels, tires, and lug nuts is there anything else I need to do this? Thanks in advance!!

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome! You won't have any trouble dropping down to an 18" wheel. But 17" is as small as you can go due to the size of the calipers. What size tires are you thinking of running? You may have to get your computer recalibrated if the overall diameter of your new tires is different from the ones you have now. If you stay close to the oem size, most dealers can recalibrate for you. Or if you have a tuner or calibrator you can do it yourself. On the center bore situation, the stock wheel hubs have a bore of 77.8 mm. You will need hub rings to fit in between your new wheel and the hub to make up the difference in the new wheel. Aftermarket wheels generally have a larger hub bore so they will be able to fit more vehicles. They are just little plastic rings that slide on before you put the new wheel on. When you order your wheels, ask for hub rings and let them know your year and model, they should know the bore is 77.8mm. And you will either need to swap over your TPM sensors from the old wheels, or order a new set for about $150-200. You can run without the sensors, but it will ding every time you start your truck and have a light on the dash. New lugs will be needed also and those are 14mm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
012RAMbo Thank You very much!! I have never bought aftermarket wheels before so I was getting confused a bit. I would probably run 285/70/18 tires. So, it doesn't really matter then what the bore diameter is on the new wheels as long as I get the hub rings to go with them?? Also, when you change the wheel/tire size does it also affect your mileage on your odometer being put on?? Thank You

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don't absolutely have to get the hub rings, but they are recommended. If you don't use them, then the new wheels will be lug centric. All the weight of the wheels will be on the lugs, and if not properly centered you will get vibrations. Using the rings will center the wheel on the actual hub and lugs, giving you a better chance of not having any vibrations. And they are only like $25-30 for a full set. Doesn't matter the bore of the new wheels, as long as it is bigger than 77.8mm or that exact size. The rings will be sized depending on the bore of the new wheel down to your oem hub size. I only found a few tires in the size you referred to. That size is quite expensive. Your stock tires should be 275/60r20, and those measure 32.99 inches tall. If you want to stay with the 285 wide tire, the closest I could find is a 285/65r18, which is slightly smaller at 32.6 inches. And another size close to stock is 275/70r18, at 33.1 inches. If your overall diameter is different than the stock size then the odometer, speedometer and MPG on the EVIC will be off. Just depends on how much difference the new tires are size wise from the stockers. But the new size can be calibrated into the computer to fix that.

OP
OP
T

twelver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank You so much 012RAMbo!!! It is all making more sense now. Yes, my current tire size is 275/60/20. I would be going to 275/70/18 not the 285 that I previously put. I miss typed. Thanks again for helping me out on this!! It is greatly appreciated!!

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No problem bud. The computer isn't going to be off by much at all, but you could still go to the dealer and get them to program the new tire size. Not sure how much they would charge though.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The thing is. I dont think anybody makes 77.8 mm to 106 or 110mm hub rings. Would have to be custom made..

You more than likely should be fine without them with the lugs properly TQ'd.

012RAMbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My Fuel wheels had a bore of 110.3mm. Didn't have any problems getting the hub rings. Could be a different story on other sizes though..