Wheel hub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slabhunter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m getting ready to replace one of my front hub /bearing on my 03 2500. I’ve watched a few videos of the process and I cant help but wonder when did we quit greasing wheel bearings and why? Looks like they might last past 50,000 miles with a little good old bearing grease.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m getting ready to replace one of my front hub /bearing on my 03 2500. I’ve watched a few videos of the process and I cant help but wonder when did we quit greasing wheel bearings and why? Looks like they might last past 50,000 miles with a little good old bearing grease.
LOOOOOOOONG time ago lol. Most sealed units (unless subjected to some sort of trauma) often last past 100,000 miles; my originals did. Also it takes owner induced repair problems out of the equations. I can't count how many variations I've seen people reassemble old school wheel bearings. Now (I say now, but pretty much since the 90's) if it needs to be replaced, you just pull everything off, unbolt the thing and put the new one in. Don't cheap out on the replacement, either get an OEM one or at least a Timken.

Stoch Hoskinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you were stuck you wouldn't have bought a computer controlled, electronically fuel injected truck lol.
I'm an old guy stuck in the old ways too, just love the Hemi I couldn't afford or afford to feed back in the day!!LOL BTW, I also drive a 14 Pursuit Charger, love it too!!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm an old guy stuck in the old ways too, just love the Hemi I couldn't afford or afford to feed back in the day!!LOL BTW, I also drive a 14 Pursuit Charger, love it too!!
I have an 05 Magnum R/T and a 12 SRT Charger in addition to the 03 Ram. Of all my cars over time, I didn't have a fuel injected vehicle until 2003; at the time I still had a carbureted 440 lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had an 06 Magnum, loved it!! They blew it when they stopped making them!!
They didn't know how to market it correctly....the target audience was trying to get away from old terms like wagon. If they'd called it a crossover (as dumb as that sounds) they'd probably still be making them.

Stoch Hoskinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They didn't know how to market it correctly....the target audience was trying to get away from old terms like wagon. If they'd called it a crossover (as dumb as that sounds) they'd probably still be making them.
MMM a thought for the designers, wouldn't be too hard to put that full roof and hatch on a Charger or Challenger...... a Dodge "nomad" on the Challenger body for the 20's and market it to the masses with the 2 door sporty idea...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
MMM a thought for the designers, wouldn't be too hard to put that full roof and hatch on a Charger or Challenger...... a Dodge "nomad" on the Challenger body for the 20's and market it to the masses with the 2 door sporty idea...
I've seen that done as a custom...it just doesn't look right.....most huge Magnum fans want to see the wagon part hooked to a newer (2015+) Charger with options available up through Hellcat.

Octane

Reaction score
You can’t tell I’m the old dude still stuck in old school ways.
I'm old school too and it's just tough for me not to have to repack wheel bearings,grease suspension components etc. but I still do have the urge to do so but it does help since I've gotten older and somewhat lazier anyway! lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm old school too and it's just tough for me not to have to repack wheel bearings,grease suspension components etc. but I still do have the urge to do so but it does help since I've gotten older and somewhat lazier anyway! lol
Well if it makes you feel better, alot of replacement suspension components (non-OEM) come with zerk fittings lol.