Wheel lock lecture lol.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Was outside getting ready for my walk when my neighbor stopped by. Asked me what happened to /with my Ram wheel locks ? I explained to him that if someone really wanted THOSE wheels, how was a wheel lock going to stop them ? Also explained that sadly I e had a time when I had wheel locks and the tech didn’t put it back in the vehicle. Needed to go back to the shop where they had several of those forgotten ones laying on their toolchest. Agates that experience I’ve never allowed the dealership to put them on my ordered vehicles.

Now if I am wrong and all of you have them,please feel free to chime in as to why. :)

Accountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie Hemi 5.7L
I agree. Mine came with them but easy to hammer a socket over the wheel lock and remove it LOL.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone that wants to take the stock wheels that i don't like is more than welcome to take them!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The newer ones are harder to remove without the key since the outside of them will just spin. But I specifically told my tech no wheel locks when my truck arrived. They’re more hassle than they’re worth.

OP
OP
DRkNESS

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So it would seem that it’s more who didn’t really care for them then those who have to have them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever since it took my dad and I two days to remove a wheel from my moms cast after the steel locking lugs fused to the aluminum wheel, I've been against wheel locks.

My dad bought a slightly used Corvette with wheel locks... He told them to remove them or else he wouldn't buy the car. 45 minutes of listening to the impact trying to break free the wheel locks, they finally had them off. Luckily they didn't harm the uber expensive wheels.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I don't have wheel locks on my truck anymore because of discount tire.

I got home after having my tires rotated and balanced by them and noticed I was missing a lug, one of the wheel locks. The other 3 were present and I watched them put all the lugs onto my wheels.

Come to find out they don't torque wheel locks at all. After I learned that I had the other 3 taken off and replaced with regular lugs.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
as my mechanic buddy explained to me: put a set of wheel locks on to lessen the chance of someone from using one of yours as a spare tire(he sees this at his work all the time). He also said order a spare "key" for the locks and keep it in a safe place at home.
Yes I'll agree that if someone really wants to steal your rims, they'll be gone.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My wheel lock set isn't actually a lock on each wheel.

Rather, they are keyed duplex acorn lugnuts with tapered seats from Gorilla. What I like about them is that a potential thief has to figure out how to get all 32 lugnuts off which won't be an easy task and it won't appeal to a lazy thief.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a lock on your house?....why?....they will just break the lock if they want to get in. I know my neighbor forgot his keys one time, boy was he pissed, took an hour to get a locksmith, he'll never lock his house again :insane:

Last edited:

cyclepuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 Mega
Engine
Had mine removed also due to not wanting to hassle with it a missing or stripped key on the side of the expressway as in a past experience.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Locks were included with my 15 Sport. When I traded for a new ‘16 Longhorn, I transferred locks to that truck. Then one day at home, I went to change my wheels to another set I had, I broke the key while trying to get the lock off.
So I contacted McGard and gave them the code # to get a replacement. It wasn’t the right # and the replacement key didn’t fit. Selling dealer had given me the wrong paper work when I bought the ‘15.
Eventually I got a replacement key ( bought 2 ).
Now I keep them in my tool box with the 2 spare keys!!!

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 17 came without locks and I bought a set from dealer. I'm sure if a thief really wants my wheels he's going to get them but they're just like any other lock, a deterant. I couldn't figure out why my wife's van she had one time that had steel wheels and hub caps came with locks but aluminium wheels no locks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will usually go with a set of locks if I’m using aftermarket wheels. Stocksrs not so much. I also make sure to go ahead and buy a spare key just in case. It’s true if someone wants them enough they’ll still take em but I’m always gonna make it harder on them to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man there ain't nothing better than having a flat side the road(Yes I change my own;three in the last 2-3 years)and then having to find the wheel lock key and then actually try to use the damn thing while the cars go buzzing by. I've actually thought about ditching mine for awhile and this thread just sent me over the edge. Thanks Drkness!!!!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2 sets of wheel locks-------on my workbench-----no one has stolen it yet!!
Jay

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not all wheel lock/key combos are alike. This is going back to the early 1990s, but I used to work for McGard Inc. Those suckers had heat-treated heads on them among other measures to make them less defeatable. Could you still defeat them? Absolutely, but not quickly.

That said, one of the fist things I did was yank the wheel locks off my 2017 Ram. I thought they looked like crap and I only had one key (bought the truck used). These are factory 17's with plastic wheel covers too. Real hot commodity. LOL.