Wheel lug heating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyruby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Just picked up a 96 project truck turning into a work rig, axle nuts were seized on from not being taken off for quite a while, broke my breaker bar had to use the oxy torch and impact to get each one off, some were heated pretty warm others heated red hot to get them off.. question is if the lugs go back on tighten to torque and look okay do i need to replace them all? Going to replace atleast half of them with fresh ones as some are beat up.. but at 4$ a piece up here in canada with ~2200$ already spent on parts not jumping to buy 32 new lugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I prsonally wouldn't take a chance on breaking off some lug nuts while going down the road just to save a few $$ when you've already spent that much.
Who knows how much they may have been weakened by the heating.
I would replace the lugnuts and studs as well.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’m the kind of guy that would replace all the studs as well as the nuts; or at least any with compromised threads or heated red.

That said, it is a 25 year old work truck. Replace any nuts that were red hot, because the hardening is shot. And any with too much thread damage. Just do an inspection every fill up for a while and check torque every few hundred km a couple of times. If they’re holding torque OK you’re good.

OP
OP
A

andyruby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ill use the ones that spin on by hand and chuck any ones that are stretched or wont thread properly, i keep an eye on my rigs and feel the small differences, caught a wheel before that was starting to backoff cause i could tell it wasnt handling tight.. can only take safety so far.. im sure the 8x 9/16th per wheel is overkill already see plenty of trucks running with one or two missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963