Wheel swap - new tires and TPMS or swap originals ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillykid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the forum with a fresh 2021 1500 Bighorn/Longhorn Hemi Quad - came with the standard 18" wheels but I'm replacing those with a set of 18" factory Rebels. I'd like to ultimately skin them with outline white letter tires but truck still < 200 miles so tough to justify replacing tires too. So 2 questions - what might the standard 18" wheels with tires left intact be worth on a resale (i.e. Craigslist or similar local sale) ? Possibly $4-500 realistic?

Also, if I were to consider starting fresh and leave my original wheels intact, presume I'd have to obtain new TPMS for the Rebel wheels - can anyone advise what the OEM part number for those would be? Presume best to stay with factory parts so they'll sync without issue?

thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'd probably just get new sensors and sell the original wheels/tires. They're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Here's the part number for the OEM Mopar sensors... 68293199AA.

FYI you misidentified your truck. There's no such thing as a Bighorn/Longhorn. Did you mean Bighorn/Lonestar?

OP
OP
P

Phillykid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes - meant Bighorn/Lonestar combo. Appreciate the p/n info - i'm still wrestling with options - knowing a likely substantive equity loss in going with new tires/sensors vs. swapping my factory Goodyears and sensors over which only have 200 miles... I'm guessing I'd be minimum $500+ upside down on going all new..

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd pull the original wheels, mount the existing tires and install the existing sensors on the new wheels. That would be the most cost effective move.

Then you can select your tires when needed.

The original wheels won't sell for much but if you get $75 each for them that's not too bad.

OP
OP
P

Phillykid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed as to remaining bare wheel value - I figured $50-75 a piece at most if lucky. Locally I recently saw the identical set on Craigslist actually offered for free just to have them gone...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The main reason I suggested selling your tires/wheels intact is because the stock goodyear tires are crap on anything but dry pavement. The only good stock tires are the Falken's which come with the ORG and the Goodyear AT's which come on the Rebel. For me it wouldn't be worth putting up with the stock Goodyears just to save a few hundred dollars. Your truck and your money though. Ultimately the decision is yours to make. :waytogo:

OP
OP
P

Phillykid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good info to contemplate - we do get a lot of spot rain here in FL so that's a noteworthy issue to consider in regards to the Goodyears... Don't need the AT's but I do like the Falken brand in general - have a set of their 17's on my '72 Olds Cutlass ragtop and they are definitely sticky!