Wheel weights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CherryRedTraderam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I’m new to this forum but I’ve tired looking everywhere for an answer. I recently put new wheels (Passenger front, Driver Rear) on my 2020 2500 and the tire shop put on new wheel weights on them. Problem I’m having is that now all the weights are un-even. I even got it realigned to see if that was the issue but the truck continues to want to steer left. Anyone know what the recommended weight is to put on both from and rear? Thanks.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Vehicles will react to new tires and wheels in different ways. Where once a vehicle seemed to track straight it may now want to go where the slope of the road and gravity dictate. Weights are added to balance the tire/wheel set up so that the centrifugal force of the spinning unit is equally distributed in all directions, otherwise you would get a wobble or pulsing feeling.

Your set up may be working correctly due to the way the roads are crowned or angled. Try driving on a highway with three lanes and see if it still pulls left. If no, your tires are correctly weighted and alignment is good. If it still pulls to left over distance then you may have a bad tire. Try rotating tires side to side and front to back and see what the result is.

OP
OP
C

CherryRedTraderam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the answer. I really appreciate it. I’ll give it a try and see what the results are.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hi, I’m new to this forum but I’ve tired looking everywhere for an answer. I recently put new wheels (Passenger front, Driver Rear) on my 2020 2500 and the tire shop put on new wheel weights on them. Problem I’m having is that now all the weights are un-even. I even got it realigned to see if that was the issue but the truck continues to want to steer left. Anyone know what the recommended weight is to put on both from and rear? Thanks.
Odd to put the new wheels at opposite corners, did you also get new tires? Usually you would put the new components all on the same axle.

As for 'recommended weight' on the tires, it's to balance the individual tire, not control 'pull' while driving down the road, it gets rid of vibration, and is completely dependent on the individual tire - they're all going to be different.

Sound advice above, try driving on a multi-lane highway (or if you've got some open rural roads where you can see for miles, drive down the wrong side of the road for a bit). See if it pulls differently. It could be worn steering components (your truck is 4 years old now, depending on miles it's entirely plausible), it could be a bad alignment (also plausible, usually caused by hitting something hard or worn steering/suspension components), or just because of new tires (if you got them) being on opposing axles. It's a big reason new rims/tires are usually put on the same axle.