When are you folks changing your fluids?

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed my differential and transfer case fluids at 10k to get the break in oils out and get good synthetic fluid in. I just changed them again last night at 42k miles. The rear was a little dirty but not terrible. Transfer case and front diff fluids still looked great and definitely could go a lot longer. Transmission I changed out at 30k and will probably keep that interval since I'm in colorado and do a little towing in the mountains.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque
Never heard of fresh tire air, that’s definitely a new one on me. Regular air?

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I changed my differential and transfer case fluids at 10k to get the break in oils out and get good synthetic fluid in. I just changed them again last night at 42k miles. The rear was a little dirty but not terrible. Transfer case and front diff fluids still looked great and definitely could go a lot longer. Transmission I changed out at 30k and will probably keep that interval since I'm in colorado and do a little towing in the mountains.

I don't think anyone has used break in oils in diffs for many years.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I will also mention, that the oil monitor is a piece of junk

The oil monitor sometimes reads 5% of life left, when the truck has only 4,000 miles on it.
Only the dealership has done my services, so there was no Quik Trip oil & filters used
My oil and fuel filter life monitors are quite accurate. They both count down lower and lower as I approach the 15k mile change interval.
I change fuel and oil filters by mileage not 6 month intervals.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My oil life light came on just this week, it's at 1 %
Last change was 2,100 miles ago

I want to find the invoice, because i have not been driving much in the last year.
The monitor may have a way to sense length of time, like 6 months or a year

I can't really complain
I have had FREE Oil Filter & Synthetic Oil changes since it arrived from the Warren Michigan Assembly Plant on January 16, 2016

It was some kind of special package, repeat Ram buyer, Business Link Member, etc.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
My oil life light came on just this week, it's at 1 %
Last change was 2,100 miles ago

I want to find the invoice, because i have not been driving much in the last year.
The monitor may have a way to sense length of time, like 6 months or a year

I can't really complain
I have had FREE Oil Filter & Synthetic Oil changes since it arrived from the Warren Michigan Assembly Plant on January 16, 2016

It was some kind of special package, repeat Ram buyer, Business Link Member, etc.

Ok, I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna ask since we are people of a certain age - did you remember to reset the oil life monitor @ the last oil change? You can double check by going to the screen in the EVIC because it also notes mileage @ oil change. At least mine does - a 2017 Ram.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The reminder reads that it was reset 2,1xx miles ago
That is why i want to find the invoice
it will give me the date & mileage at the time the oil change was done

At my dealership they no longer put the oil service sticker on the windshield or the driver door

They never put the correct Oil Type sticker under the hood for when they changed the ECO-Diesel SAE Weight
They told me that they don't have any stick on stickers, that i should write it in my Owners Manual

I told them that some Dodge Technician might go by the old sticker that is still under the hood.
They just walk away mumbling :(

In the last year, every one of the Service Writers is new
7 new Service Writers just in the regular service area, i have not been over to the Commercial area, where they have their own Service Writers & techs

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, I hear ya. Just more evidence the Stealerships have dumbed-down the routine maintenance services no better than the quickie lube joints.

I've switched to a vetted private shop staffed by frustrated ex-factory techs. These guys are terrific.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I go to an Auto Electric Shop, it is a 3 man operation
Its a 3 bay interior shop & they also have 4 outdoor spots
Auto Club Approved, BBB Approved, ASE Certified

Auto Air Marine Electric
  • We are a fully licensed, bonded and insured auto electric shop for your protection and peace of mind.
  • We have over 30 years of experience in providing quality electric repairs.
  • All of our repairs are 100 percent guaranteed.
They work on Classic Vehicles too

1655515059864.png