When Not to Use Redline Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
there are hundreds of thousands of these motors out there logging millions of miles without needing any magic oil. I have owned several and they did just fine on mobil1 .

That's the beauty of statistics. Hemi tick is a statistic too, the vast majority will never get it regardless of what oil they run. That doesn't mean those who might/will get it can't take steps to prevent or mitigate the issue with better oil.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
That's the beauty of statistics. Hemi tick is a statistic too, the vast majority will never get it regardless of what oil they run. That doesn't mean those who might/will get it can't take steps to prevent or mitigate the issue with better oil.

Have you seen any stats on prevalence beyond Forum Technician Member reports (5-10% of their dealership Hemi engines with stuck lifters)?

Would be nice if we had a factory insider to spill the beans. Alas, at least we report issues and fixes here. FCA / Stellantis sure doesn't discuss anything.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Have you seen any stats on prevalence beyond Forum Technician Member reports (5-10% of their dealership Hemi engines with stuck lifters)?

Would be nice if we had a factory insider to spill the beans. Alas, at least we report issues and fixes here. FCA / Stellantis sure doesn't discuss anything.

Yes I've seen reference to that. But then I talk to dealers in my area and they're basically like "tick? Never heard of it" or close to it. They're bluffing of course, but I've also seen Reignited on YT say he saw different failure counts depending on what state he was in.

So one guys report is not conclusive.

My take: since 2009, FCA has sold many millions of 5.7's and 6.4's. They sell like 500k trucks a year, most of them gassers and most of those are hemis. Combine that with sales from Charger, Challenger, Jeep, Durango, probably missing one or two others. The sheer volume of engines sold means that any little glitch or problem is magnified 1000 times more than problems in a slow selling engine.

In other words, we see the numerator quite a bit, but we need to keep the denominator in mind; without that bottom number, the top number is completely meaningless.

If failures were at 10%, we'd be seeing literally hundreds of reports hit the various forums daily. We're just not getting that kind of volume, and I'm looking for it as well ("looking" in the sense of, "keeping an eye out").

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also (and I may be reaching a bit here); if someone says "we've recorded all the hemis sold in last 10 years and found that 3.45% had lifter failure" ... that number means they've got some accuracy. They crunched the numbers and got one value.

If you say "5 to 10%", that looks like a vague number that is closer to a guess. And if they're vaguely guessing, how do we know they're not getting it wrong and the number is actually closer to 2 to 4 percent (for example)?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's better than anything else we've got - Dealers are known liars...they've acknowledged the issue, then gaslight us saying "Hemi tick is 'normal'"....for destroying an engine, yes - it is.

The purpose of a Forum is generally not ironclad conclusive data - otherwise we wouldn't need a forum, yeah?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It's better than anything else we've got - Dealers are known liars...they've acknowledged the issue, then gaslight us saying "Hemi tick is 'normal'"....for destroying an engine, yes - it is.

The purpose of a Forum is generally not ironclad conclusive data - otherwise we wouldn't need a forum, yeah?

It's not conclusive, but it's indicative. I just don't see 5 to 10 percent backed up by the trickle of reports.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

I like my SA, my SA is a diesel owner so I can from time to time get small amounts info on Hemi lifter problems, based on what I have been told some of the lifter problems they are seeing locally, in the SA opinion is from using cheap @ss dino oil instead of recommend synthetic along with high idle times, slow speed stop and go driving, a few with constant short 1-3 miles drives, cold start up and mash the gas, oh I almost left out people having very dirty air filters....

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You also do not see many of the Hemi lifter failures reported so. Case in point My friend had one that ultimately failed due to lifter. He never reported it, doesnt frequent forums or care to nor did he report to any dealer. My 2012 went through two previous motors(prior owner) due to failed lifters and again not reported. Both seem to of used just your standard 5w20(whatever they had on shelf at time of service)

No doubt when I talk to any knowledgeable mechanics that know hemi's know first hand of the lifter issues.