When to do first oil change on new truck and which oil to use.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m gonna start off by saying that I’ve always used Mobil One Full Synthetic in every vehicle I’ve owned for over the last 15 years and have never had a single problem with it but what really is recommended for the newer, late-model Hemi’s?

I’m coming up on close to 2000 miles on the clock on my new truck and the oil life meter is still above 80% so if that’s accurate, I still have a long time yet to go before the truck says it needs an oil change but shouldn’t this factory oil be changed sooner, irregardless if the oil-life meter for the truck’s first change? Do they put any kind of break-in lube or anything in there at the factory? What oil do they put in at the dealership when they do your oil change?

I’ve seen a lot of this Pennzoil ultra synthetic(or whatever it’s called) as being the choice oil for Hemi motors but what makes that oil any better than Mobil 1 Full Synthetic? I dunno why it seems I have such an interest in that oil, it’s just that it’s the brand I’ve trusted for a very long time. I’ve never been a fan of Pennzoil but that’s only from well... over a decade ago when a lot of people weren’t fans of Pennzoil so I would hope that things have changed in that length of time.

Just looking for opinions of what really ought to be used because keep in mind, I have a lifetime warranty on this truck so I don’t even know if Mobil 1’s oil is warranty-compliant.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m gonna start off by saying that I’ve always used Mobil One Full Synthetic in every vehicle I’ve owned for over the last 15 years and have never had a single problem with it but what really is recommended for the newer, late-model Hemi’s?

I’m coming up on close to 2000 miles on the clock on my new truck and the oil life meter is still above 80% so if that’s accurate, I still have a long time yet to go before the truck says it needs an oil change but shouldn’t this factory oil be changed sooner, irregardless if the oil-life meter for the truck’s first change? Do they put any kind of break-in lube or anything in there at the factory? What oil do they put in at the dealership when they do your oil change?

I’ve seen a lot of this Pennzoil ultra synthetic(or whatever it’s called) as being the choice oil for Hemi motors but what makes that oil any better than Mobil 1 Full Synthetic? I dunno why it seems I have such an interest in that oil, it’s just that it’s the brand I’ve trusted for a very long time. I’ve never been a fan of Pennzoil but that’s only from well... over a decade ago when a lot of people weren’t fans of Pennzoil so I would hope that things have changed in that length of time.

Just looking for opinions of what really ought to be used because keep in mind, I have a lifetime warranty on this truck so I don’t even know if Mobil 1’s oil is warranty-compliant.

Thanks.

With a new engine I change at 3000, then @ 6000 intervals. I won't go as far as when it tells me to change. I think that's really stretching it. I use Mobile 5000 5w20 and purolator or mopar filters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Factory & Dealer are both supposed to be Pennzoil. Not sure if the factory fill is Dino or Synthetic though, hopefully someone who knows can chime in on that. You'll find entire threads with thousands of posts on oils here. In My Opinion, I'd change it now and go with Synthetic. If you have the dealer do it, they will most likely use Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic. Slightly more expensive and, depending on where you live, can be harder to find but has a few extra additives. Believe it or not, the only place around me that carries the Ultra is Walmart! As far as brands go, for the best chance of not having any arguments about your warenty, you just need to make sure it meets the required specs from F.C.A. From what I know, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobile 1 and Royal Purple (unsure of the variety for RP) all do so. I'm not sure about any other. For filters, the Mopar ones are good and the Royal Purple ones are supposed to be very good. I've used the Mopar ones on my RAM far. There are no Royal Purple dealers anywhere around me or I'd probably give them a try.

-K

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
M1 doesn't have the Ram spec for the hemi, Pennzoil does. But I would use m1, it is great oil.

Read the filter thread, very important imo.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Congrats on the new truck! Ahhh... the first oil change... what a special time lol. You'll hear a thousand different opinions on which oil to use. The truth is, any fully synthetic name brand oil will do well by you. I've never been a fan of Pennz either, and never will be. It could be the best oil on the planet, it's just not my thing.

Mobil 1 is not "certified" by Chrysler's nonsense MS blahblah. It's far better than that. If you like Mobil 1, use that. If its not THE most used fully synthetic oil out there, it's very close to it.

The only thing I would do differently than the manual calls for is the viscosity. I would definitely run 5w-30 or maybe even a cocktail of a 30/40 weight vs 5w-20. Reason being, the shear strength of a 30 wt is much better than that of a 20 wt in simple terms.

As far as warranty, keep receipts. Even better, send in samples of the oil to the analyzer of your choice and keep the results as a matter of record.

Most importantly, run a true synthetic-media oil filter such as those from Royal Purple, Fram Ultra or Amsoil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If I had the lifetime warranty, I would use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, it was an oil made for the hemi. The 0w40 was designed in part with FCA support for the 6.4. That is why it doesn't have the m1 spec ms6395, because they weren't happy they were left out. Modern Pennzoil is some of the best oil you can get, ever since shell bought them they have much better quality base oils. Ask them if they will put 5w30 in there, if they give you **** run 5w20.

MeatCurtains

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I personally preferred Pennzoil in my non turbo applications and redline or motul in turbo applications. Also used rotella t6 in a turbo Subaru with good uoa results. Anything that meets the OEM requirements for oil should be more than acceptable.

When to change the first time is really personal preference. There is evidence both ways supporting waiting and changing early. I personally don't worry too much as modern filters are usually of good quality and will trap any potentially harmful swarf from run in. You may see the first oil change being darker than the ones that follow. That isn't bad, it means the oil was doing it's job of lubricating and cleaning.

Just keep an eye on the oil level make sure it's at the full mark and enjoy the vehicle. Both engine and oil manufacturing has come quite far over the many decades so you shouldn't see tons of debris in the pan after the first change like you could in decades past.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
see my sig, oil filter

ms6395 spec

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the new truck! Ahhh... the first oil change... what a special time lol. You'll hear a thousand different opinions on which oil to use. The truth is, any fully synthetic name brand oil will do well by you. I've never been a fan of Pennz either, and never will be. It could be the best oil on the planet, it's just not my thing.
Thank you! I sure have enjoyed it.

Mobil 1 is not "certified" by Chrysler's nonsense MS blahblah. It's far better than that. If you like Mobil 1, use that. If its not THE most used fully synthetic oil out there, it's very close to it.
What do you mean it’s far better?

The only thing I would do differently than the manual calls for is the viscosity. I would definitely run 5w-30 or maybe even a cocktail of a 30/40 weight vs 5w-20. Reason being, the shear strength of a 30 wt is much better than that of a 20 wt in simple terms.
This isn’t the first I’ve heard of this but one, what’s wrong with 5-20? I wouldn’t mind a 5-30 weight oil but second, I’ve heard that the MDS and variable valve-timing stuff needs that lighter oil to work so where would I find legit information saying that a heavier oil is fine?

As far as warranty, keep receipts. Even better, send in samples of the oil to the analyzer of your choice and keep the results as a matter of record.
So, what good is keeping receipts going to do if I do my own oil changes? I could see keeping receipts if I was paying someone else to change the oil but how is keeping receipts of oil and filters going to help anything?

Most importantly, run a true synthetic-media oil filter such as those from Royal Purple, Fram Ultra or Amsoil.
I’m assuming Fram has stepped up their game and is ok to use nowadays?

I’ve been using K&N oil filters, are they not synthetic media filters?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Thank you! I sure have enjoyed it.

What do you mean it’s far better?

This isn’t the first I’ve heard of this but one, what’s wrong with 5-20? I wouldn’t mind a 5-30 weight oil but second, I’ve heard that the MDS and variable valve-timing stuff needs that lighter oil to work so where would I find legit information saying that a heavier oil is fine?

So, what good is keeping receipts going to do if I do my own oil changes? I could see keeping receipts if I was paying someone else to change the oil but how is keeping receipts of oil and filters going to help anything?

I’m assuming Fram has stepped up their game and is ok to use nowadays?

To get into the weeds on oil specs here would be futile. There are already two threads on this forum dedicated to nothing but that and they are both outstanding sources of info. Many guys on the other threads have given their experiences in experimenting with different weights and brands. None that I know of have experienced any of the fabled issues.

Keeping receipts shows that at least you did purchase the oil, which shows intent to change, in the least. That's why running UOAs takes that 'proof' to another level.

You can also use an electronic maintenance tracker like Amsoil Garage. Its completely free and you don't have to be an Amsoil customer. It's also nice to print out the record when you go to sell the vehicle. I've used it for years and prospective buyers are always impressed by scrupulous record keeping.

Youtube is full of oil filter dissections. You can check them out and form your own opinion on what will work best for you.

As far as the MS-6395 spec, you need to use an oil that meets or is better than the spec. You can go to any oil manufacturer's website and compare their spec sheets. Below you'll find more info on it than I'm sure most would care to read:

10604955396_440d0c845a_o.jpg

10604941844_f41be34136_o.jpg

10604954406_e39f8e374e_o.jpg

10604953816_cde7b2b718_o.jpg

10604953226_53efb83afa_o.jpg

10604932225_f2eec2e1b0_b.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

No, but K&N seams to be the best paper filter tested. Whatever you see on the patch is what is circulating around the engine at 30 microns. The only three synthetic fiber filters took the top 3 spots, it is a no brainer to use these filters. HP-3002 is the K&N, the top patch is the Royal Purple, looks like nearly zero particles get's by the filter. The are other reasons as well, the media lasts longer then the oil, filters better over time, and flows better as well. All documented in the syn thread. The top spot is the Royal Purple is 14 bucks, it is what I use, but if you want to spend less go with the Fram Ultra, the third patch down. Look at the rectangles below, the whiter the patch, the more the filter tested caught. The 4th filter is a combo filter, as you can see combo paper/spun microglass is good but not as good as 100% spun microglass.

comparison.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would keep a maintenance log with receipts, you are the one concerned about the lifetime warranty yes? Follow manu's recommendations, owners manual is online, just search on it.

Look at those top 3 rectangles, synthetic filters kick ass. Likely wix xp would be similar, but wasn't tested.

The manu says do not go over 10k miles on your oil and use ms6395 spec and 5w20. Since you have the lifetime warranty, no reason to deviate. Some good news, you have a lifetime fluid in the transmission if you have the 8 peed. Unless you tow, the fluid has been doing very good in guys who have changed their fluid at the 100k mark. But you don't need to do that, it is a lifetime fill and you have a warranty.

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I had a lifetime warranty I would buy my own oil and filter and take it to the dealer and have them change the oil. Money wise you're going to come up the same or cheaper than paying the upgrade to have the dealer put in their synthetic and you'll know what oil is in there instead of taking their word for it as to what they put in. All the work will be documented as far as dates and mileage so if you ever have any problems they allready have all the documentation.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

01Ram2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If I had the lifetime warranty, I would use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, it was an oil made for the hemi. The 0w40 was designed in part with FCA support for the 6.4. That is why it doesn't have the m1 spec ms6395, because they weren't happy they were left out. Modern Pennzoil is some of the best oil you can get, ever since shell bought them they have much better quality base oils. Ask them if they will put 5w30 in there, if they give you **** run 5w20.

^ This

* I used M1 in my 2001 Ram for 14 years with great results. Did a lot of research on Penzoil Ultra Platinum (PUP) when I bought my 2014. IMO it is as good as it gets. Doing well so far in my 2014 with 25K miles. If you want to do some research yourself go the BITOG site (Bob is the Oil Guy). More information than you could ever want.
* The MDS system in the 5.7 specifies 5W-20 to work correctly. There is plenty of evidence that 5W-30 works also. But why risk voiding the warranty.
* PUP is hard to find. I get my 5W-20 from Amazon. Penzoil Platinum (not PUP) is easy to find (Walmart for example). But my vehicles get the best.
* I did first change at 1,700 miles. All changes thereafter 3K - 5K miles. I do not pay attention to the OLM. I am contemplating an oil change right now at 3K miles. OLM reads 72%. Sounds like yours is working correctly.
* I use the OEM filter.

PUP-5W-20.JPG

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My dealership will change oil, top off all fluids, air pressure, etc for $18. I assume that they use whatever the factory recommends. If things go sideways, it's on them!

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Corn: every dealership is different so you will not get the same brand of oil through out.

No break-in lube is used.

Some use Pennzoil (Gold). As some say this is the factory fill.
Know One actually knows!

Are You going to be doing your own oil changes?
Or are you a owner who has everything done for them?

One thing to remember and don’t believe anything else.
There is no test out there that the dealership can have run that will tell them what brand of oil you are using or the actual beginning viscosity of the oil being used.

The only thing they will really be concerned about is what level of oil was in the sump at the time of the issue.

If they ever ask what Brand/viscosity you was using tell them what they want to hear.
They would lie to you in a heartbeat.
They do it to us every time we attempt to buy a new auto as well as attempting to sell us a service that is not needed.

Learn to Play the Game!
There are a few Good/Honest dealerships out there.

When I had my new 14 Ram 5.7L (I) created a bit of a stir within this forum by doing just the opposite of what others were doing.

1500 miles - First Oil/Filter change —>M1 AFE 0W-20
2500 miles - 2nd Oil/Filter change—->M1 0W-30
3500 miles - 3rd Oil/Filter change —->M1 5W-30
5000 miles - 4th Oil/Filter change —->5Qts PUP 5W-30 / 2Qts PUP SRT 0W-40
10K miles - 5th Oil/Filter change ——>6Qts PUP SRT 0W-40 / 1Qt PUP 5W-30
Never changed from this combo again. Awesome combo!

These miles were mostly highway/Interstate/turnpike very little city stop/go.

Everyone within these walls thought I had gone full blown retard.
But my 5.7L loved the combo & let me know every time I drove her.
I still averaged 19.6mpg @ 70mph on the interstate.

One more none important note: When I traded her in for my 6.7L CTD the salesman who was doing the appraisal on my 5.7L came back in to the office (After the test drive) & made a point to tell me that was the smoothest/quietest 5.7L he had ever witnessed & that I Did a remarkable job taking care of her.

Steven: Sent me an text 16 days later telling me they sold her to a older retired couple.

Last edited:

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Congrats on the truck. Not quite the same but my wife bought a new Explorer. We changed out oil at 1000 miles, and did Pennzoil synthetic.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I would use Pennzoil Platinum with a royal purple filter 10-48. Change out 1st now 2000 miles. The oem mopar filters are paper and cheap. Cut one open and see for yourself. You could also mix 4 qts 5w30 and 3 qts 5w20 if you are worried about viscosity. I am running Redline 5w30 with RP filter and a filter mag. The owners manual states the 5w30 is acceptable if 5w20 not available.

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone use regular oil 5w20 in their Hemi 5.7?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk