When to engage 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
Ran across a strange situation a week ago or so.
Driving near the lake, we had "lake-effect snow" and the snow was blowing and the roads were covered with just around an inch of snow but they were also very icy.
I engaged the 4WD and then as I drove around a mile north of the lake, the roads were clear and dry.
I disengaged it at this point.

Just wondering what you guys do in various situations.
For example, what if I ran across another area that was covered and icy and then dry again.
Do you continuously go from 4WD to 2WD?

What if you see a bit of dark ice or whatever and you don't want to be in 2WD when you are on it but it is dry for the most part.

Just don't want to damage the transmission driving on dry pavement when I shouldn't, in 4WD.

Thanks
Take Care

pedersen_tim

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the weather is garbage out ie snowing, snow on the ground, or ice then I'll just put it in 4auto or for lock and leave it on until the roads clear up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I can drive with out too many issues I'll keep it out of 4wd. If I have a harder time steering or the back keeps stepping out and or have trouble getting started at a light I click in 4wd. Also your driving skills has a lot to do with it.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
4 auto vs switching in or out.
Over 137k on my ram, had to use 4 high half a dozen times, 4 low x 2.

I live in Montana and work in Iowa, two cold and icy states and travel between on a consistent basis.

Driven through snow deep enough to leave a bumper trail.

Steady and constant key to the game

OP
OP
TheDude266

TheDude266

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
Pentastar V6
Thanks guys.
I should have mentioned that I don't have the auto feature and that I have to go to the extreme trouble of um, er, pushing a button ;-)
I appreciate the feedback and I guess that I simply don't want to damage anything if I leave it in 4WD too long and expose it to dry 2WD roads.

THanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I should have mentioned that I don't have the auto feature and that I have to go to the extreme trouble of um, er, pushing a button ;-)
I appreciate the feedback and I guess that I simply don't want to damage anything if I leave it in 4WD too long and expose it to dry 2WD roads.
With the BW44-45 or any Part-Time transfer case, it's not a problem driving straight on dry pavement. The driveling binding starts to occur when you turn the front wheels. If your traveling down the road changing lanes or curves in the road are not a problem, you might hear a little bit whirling noise. If you go to turn the corner then you get a louder whirling noise along with possible hopping and resistance to steering.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just don't use it on dry pavement for too long if turning or a lot of bends are involved. You can cause damage if you do.

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put her in 4 hi and stomp her down...It won't hurt a Hemisaurus.

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will be the first to say that I know little about the mechanics behind the beast.

If its bad weather off and on during the same drive, I leave it in 4lock. The only time I would turn it off is if its dry pavement and your maneuvering in a city or a windy road. If I am on a highway and there are patches of weather every 15 miles or so I leave it on.

I don't leave 4 on if its just cold out though. If its a clear day and clear roads you don't need 4 wheel drive even if its 0 out.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
While moving, just slowing down a little is your best friend. I just try not to be that douche that leaves it in 2wd at an icy red light. When it turns green, by the time the truck finally gets moving, it's turning yellow and nobody else gets through. If I had a beater truck, I'd help them get started with a little push.....

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Put it in 4WD once, but there was an inch of ice on the road and more threatening to build up on the pass as I was about to go over it. Did it more out of precaution than anything else, but in those conditions going slow(er) is going to help you far more than having the extra drive wheels would, and having tire chains at the ready will be even more helpful still.

Sam Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
If the weather is garbage out ie snowing, snow on the ground, or ice then I'll just put it in 4auto or for lock and leave it on until the roads clear up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I do the same thing. We are getting a decent amount of snow north of Toronto and I've been using 2WD, unless I feel a hint of slippage or there is alot of snow I usually leave it on 4WD Auto.

Jberg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Without the auto feature, you did exactly what you needed to do.
Switching in and out of 4WD will not be a problem.
Leaving it in 4WD on dry pavement should be avoided, if possible.
Most of the time it's 4WD or not, in terms of conditions, so this shouldn't be a big issue for you.
Those that have the 4WD auto feature can leave that on in mixed conditions.

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 44-44 TC so I mostly leave it in 4 Auto this time of year. If I had the 44-45 TC without 4 Auto, I would leave it in 2WD most of the time. As others have said, going slower, good tires, and the ABS / Traction Control are your biggest friends for control and stopping - I figure the 4 Hi and 4 Lo are for getting me unstuck or for for occasional off-road or really terrible snow / ice.

sirguynate503

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you worried about engaging it too often? Like if your turn it on and off to often it will hurt it?

If so, that is not what you should be worried about. NOT using it causes more issues than engaging 4wd