When to get tuned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would I need tuning if I run a set of short headers which are already on the truck, a catted Y pipe and catback? I want a tune but having an 18 makes it well.... a ton more expensive.

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would I need tuning if I run a set of short headers which are already on the truck, a catted Y pipe and catback? I want a tune but having an 18 makes it well.... a ton more expensive.

Gotta pay to play bud. If you can afford an 18 and a tuner then cough up the cash for a custom tune.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
With that little done to the truck you aren’t going to get a huge amount of performance gains out of a dyno tune. You will definitely get some and probably even slightly better gas mileage. 1 thing to consider when getting a tube is what gas will you HAVE to use afterwards. Some tunes will require 91+ octane gas afterwards. Not all of them though. You would have to specify that to the tuner that you don’t want to have to if that’s your preference.

I’m dropping my truck of tomorrow for a dyno tune but I have a 180 thermostat, mechanical fan delete, Vararam intake, 1 7/8” JBA long tube headers and JBA catless y pipe going into a Magnaflow catback exhaust, 4” Rough Country lift, 35x12.5r17 tires and he’s telling me that I’ll get a little more hip and torque and slightly better gas mileage but not to expect to get a rocketship when I get back. I’m also asking him to add 20% throttle response so that my gas pedal is more responsive. I can’t wait to see what he can do. He currently holds the world record for fastest Hellcat and all he works on are hemis.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With that little done to the truck you aren’t going to get a huge amount of performance gains out of a dyno tune. You will definitely get some and probably even slightly better gas mileage. 1 thing to consider when getting a tube is what gas will you HAVE to use afterwards. Some tunes will require 91+ octane gas afterwards. Not all of them though. You would have to specify that to the tuner that you don’t want to have to if that’s your preference.

I’m dropping my truck of tomorrow for a dyno tune but I have a 180 thermostat, mechanical fan delete, Vararam intake, 1 7/8” JBA long tube headers and JBA catless y pipe going into a Magnaflow catback exhaust, 4” Rough Country lift, 35x12.5r17 tires and he’s telling me that I’ll get a little more hip and torque and slightly better gas mileage but not to expect to get a rocketship when I get back. I’m also asking him to add 20% throttle response so that my gas pedal is more responsive. I can’t wait to see what he can do. He currently holds the world record for fastest Hellcat and all he works on are hemis.

He being who? Jay ?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The two mod's that produce the most increase in performance(not including forced induction or N2O) are long tube headers and a custom tune. You will have to buy an unlocked PCM(or have yours unlocked)in addition to buying the tuner. You can pay the additional expense of having your truck dyno tuned or you can use the services of one of the popular tuners that sends custom tunes back and forth via e-mail. The true everyday real life test of your trucks performance is on the drag strip, not on the dyno. The dyno is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. How fast you go depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
Jay

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The two mod's that produce the most increase in performance(not including forced induction or N2O) are long tube headers and a custom tune. You will have to buy an unlocked PCM(or have yours unlocked)in addition to buying the tuner. You can pay the additional expense of having your truck dyno tuned or you can use the services of one of the popular tuners that sends custom tunes back and forth via e-mail. The true everyday real life test of your trucks performance is on the drag strip, not on the dyno. The dyno is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. How fast you go depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
Jay

I absolutely agree with you Jay on all parts. I will not put down the several known tuners that do it by email as I’ve seen their results and I can’t argue actual results. I’m old school and still prefer a dyno tune over the whole email tune. My only issue with emailed tunes is every engine and truck react semi differently to different adjustments. Both of the real well known guys in here definitely are helpful and can help make some adjustments pretty quickly and are very responsive. I try to watch their posts to see if there’s anything more that I can learn from them all the time. Great guys with top notch service!!

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you data log and send them the results you have lots better end results. I'm not sure about the "one and done" thing some people try to do. I want the tuner to have the most accurate info I can provide and if that takes a couple data logs and small tweaks I'm fine with that. Dyno's certainly have their advantages, especially if you have a "professional" doing the work on a top notch machine.
Jay

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was under the assumption that due to the nature of shorties not moving the cats or really changing much that you would not need a tune. Catback and intake you do not need a tune to correct the air fuel either. Long tubes need a tune and anything else needs a tune

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotta pay to play bud. If you can afford an 18 and a tuner then cough up the cash for a custom tune.
Yea thats what i want to do is a custom tune with all of that. Just wondering what I can add and get away with not tuning in the mean time. Like at what point do I absolutely need the tune.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The only time you “need” a tune is adding a supercharger or turbo. Otherwise tuning will add some benefits but not as much as other times.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Oops missed the dyno part.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So with an aftermarket y pipe with cats I will still need a tune?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On long tubes you will need the tune to turn off any O2 codes you get and also a tune will take full advantage of the performance increase the headers will give you. With short tube headers the tune is not as important. Short tube headers are also cheaper that long tubes. Choose wisely when shopping for headers, there are many types and manufactures, cheaper is not always the best answer, at least for headers.
Jay

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The argument right now is that short tube headers really don’t add any more than stock manifolds. If you get a catted y pipe it won’t be as likely to set off check engine lights but without a tune you won’t get the full potential for power from the long tube headers like Pull ya said.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

im going to have to have to disagree with this a little. When i got the custom tune the 2 biggest things i noticed was a perfomance gain and a bump in gas mileage around +3 using 93

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
My small an unimportant input...

I wouldn't spend all that money for headers etc. I think you'd be disappointed. I would put in new full exhaust, with cold air intake w/ filter, possible replace the intake... I'm partial to Banks with K&N. I'd consider the Banks monster exhaust, but I'm also a huge Flowmaster fan.

I've recently added the Banks Derringer with I8 dash gauge. There are tons of reasons that I went that way... One is, that I didn't want the ECM swapping hassle. Using the Derringer, there is quite a bit of improvement thru the settings. Though, for the price I'm not yet totally sold.

What in the end are you wanting? Faster truck or better economy? In my humble opinion, you'd get more bang with intake, air, exhaust, tires... Trucks need to breathe... The headers would help, but at what expense.

Hope I was able to add more confusion to this discussion.

Txs

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
If I had to do it over again, I would have traded my 6-speed in for a 8-speed.
Money put into gears, converter, headers, intake, cam ........would have bought an installed supercharger.
More power for around the same price.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
no not need a tune ! i got 91mm flowmaster air set up just got a delabo tune for 91 runs great for years