When to plug it in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just got a new to me 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins with 3k miles. The question is at what temps should I plug it in?

For the last week I have been starting it with temps in the mid 20's without any issues, in fact the engine started as it normally would. Does that mean it needs to be a lot colder, or am I potentially damaging my engine?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
My opinion: FIRST if your NEW Ram sits out in that cold 24/7? - I would run a 5W-40 viscosity oil.

As for what temp to actually plug it in?
My 2017 sits in a warm garage (40-50°F) while at home during the winter.
I say to the **** owner like myself - if you have plans on keeping your New Ram many years past pay off - Plug it in (Any time ambient temps are 20°F & below).

My question on this matter is: How long does it actually need to be plugged in for - to aid in your next start up attempt? 3-4 hrs before hand?

Work - just installed (6 new plug in outlets) in the parking lot for us diesel owners to plug into. During 12 hour shifts we see a few different weather changes.
So I am going to take advantage of it!

I just bought a new cord & timer as well as a Noco Genius GCP1 adapter plug for the front bumper - for easy fast plug in.
Putting everything together now as we speak - will install everything this weekend with my winter oil change (Filter removed gives me easy access to the heater element. Also bought a 15Ft 15amp 14 gauge extension cord to keep in the back floorboard.

Dam Rambling Once again!
Think about running 5W-40 viscosity oil & plug her in @ any temp below freezing for at least 3-4 hrs before starting.
Maybe if much colder & if you don't care about the timer option leave her plugged in the whole time while parked.

Last question: I honestly don't think your doing damage to your 6.7L by not plugging it in.
But think of all those other smaller/weaker parts that have to work twice as hard turning that big bastage over @ 20°F or colder - Batteries / Starter just as a small example.

Also: Plugging your 6.7L in will mostly help in warm up for you inside the cab a bit faster & aid in the windshield defroster. (Though this is not my main concern)!

I have worked in a Plant environment for over 20yrs & believe me the cold & wind chill effects EVERYTHING - Mechanical & Electrical in some way - Heat is your friend! It does lengthen the service life of most equipment during these brutal cold times!

9E53F829-EF6D-48FE-99B6-2A6835008B20.jpeg

8BBC78F8-7BA0-4145-8981-A177B656E9C6.jpeg

1685C0BA-DB1E-4D02-9C03-0FDD5A7B4790.jpeg

Timer automatically activates when temps drop below freezing!
6A0263F9-CB57-468C-886B-C3A8A9B07ECE.jpeg

Truth is - you might be better off getting an answer from a owner who don't care as much & doesn't over think every mod like I do!

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
All done - Winter oil change & New Cord & Plug in Adapter installed!

2714E6A7-49B7-44A5-B836-5C2A41BF6329.jpeg

DA8F0F2B-1FF4-4C12-A25D-912C19BCD4ED.jpeg

OP
OP
F

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks for the I will be adding a plug like your picture this weekend, mine did not have the cold weather package, but the parts I need from amazon should be here on Saturday.

Do you really think it needs to run for 4 hours, that would be quite a lot of electricity.

Reactions: SyN

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I don't drive my 2011 Cummins all the time but will probably start driving it virtually every day and I plug it in when the weather here in Colorado sends temps below 35 degrees over night. It will start when the temp is below zero but I don't like doing that. I am retired so I don't have to leave it unplugged while working a shift, so it is plugged in until I drive it again. The block heaters in these will only heat them to about 90-95 degrees, so they don't use a lot of juice. I honestly can't see any difference in electric usage running the heater.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thanks for the I will be adding a plug like your picture this weekend, mine did not have the cold weather package, but the parts I need from amazon should be here on Saturday.

Do you really think it needs to run for 4 hours, that would be quite a lot of electricity.
I plug mine in when the starting temps are in the low 30s. I have my timer set to turn on 2 hours before I go to work and seems like that's long enough although we don't get near as cold here as it does up north. The best part is that you have heat almost instantly after starting.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Watch your temps close @ time of start up!
Honesty I say 2 hrs is a minimum.
Adding a timer will save some $$$ on electricity - but it still ALL Depends on ambient temp & Wind Chill factor & time out in these elements!

Below 15°F I'm believing 4 hrs is the min.
I have no clue how much electricity/amps = $$$ these oem elements pull.

I do it for a couple of other reasons - Mostly to warm up the internal fluids & block which will make it easier some what on the starter & batteries - Just 1 example.

It might possibly help with oil flow & oil pump ability @ start up - but I don't know how much it actually effects the oil temp. Will pay close attention the first few times I plug her in @ work.
This the main reason I run 5W-40 or Synthetic 15W-40 oil year round.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just read an article - That actually put emphasis on if your truck was going to be out in the elements for more then 15-24 hrs or more before your next start up - it's best to plug your truck in just after you park it - while the coolant & oil are still @ operating temp.

Makes sense but - would possibly definitely bump up your electric bill.

For those who need/choose to plug their truck in practically every day during the winter - this might shorten the service life of the heating element drastically. (Don't know just thinking out loud).

Just another option to think about.
I know everyone has their own opinion on these situations.

Happy Holidays to everyone & Stay Safe! God Bess!

Last edited:

PNW-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I don't have the ability to plug mine in at the moment, and it's parked outside.

The other day I fired it up after sitting for 3 or 4 days, with the temps between 30-40. Out of curiosity, I didn't wait for the grid heater - I just put in the key and fired it up.

It took 1/2 a second longer than usual to fire, and ran rough for a second or two.

When my house is built, I'll park in a heated garage. Until then, the Cummins never fails to fire. I'll be parked at the airport all next week, and am sure it'll fire instantly. But I'll wait for the heater.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Anyone happen to know what the wattage is for the factory heating element is? I just installed my heating element cord today. I took the air duct from the turbo to the air cleaner out and it was pretty easy. I also put some of the plastic wire loom over the cable to keep it from chafing. It rarely gets below the 20’s here but I don’t drive mine every day.
I think I read somewhere it’s like 5or600 watts but I’m not sure. 500 watts would only be 4 amps.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anyone happen to know what the wattage is for the factory heating element is?
The CTD block heater is 750 watts
The EcoDiesel block heater is 400 watts

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thanks for the info. So it’s 6 amps. Thanks again.

WTH? Finally got an answer that wasn’t answered “Delete “. Lol

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Somehow I really don't think these CTD engines are as fragile as some here make it sound. I'm sure there are 100's of thousands or even million of these trucks parked outside in temps well below 20° all the time with no ill effect.
If it were really that serious of a concern there would be a big section in the owners manual telling us to plug our trucks in when the temp gets just below freezing.
The manual says "recommended" under 0° and "required" under -20°.

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Somehow I really don't think these CTD engines are as fragile as some here make it sound. I'm sure there are 100's of thousands or even million of these trucks parked outside in temps well below 20° all the time with no ill effect.
If it were really that serious of a concern there would be a big section in the owners manual telling us to plug our trucks in when the temp gets just below freezing.
The manual says "recommended" under 0° and "required" under -20°.
Your right, they're not fragile but it sure is nice getting heat and defrost almost immediately on cold mornings.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I plug mine in when I get home. Unplug it when I leave. Still remote start 5-10 min before I go outside. This is my routine from November till the snow/cold leaves (usually April-May). I work 48hr shifts so my truck will sit plugged in at work for the full 48hrs. I really don't notice much of an increase in electric usage at home, there is a little difference but we also run a forced air furnace so that probably uses more than the heater in the truck.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452