Where are my EcoDiesel Brethren?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
okay so I’m trying to double or triple check to see if this would be functional or not, can I take a 2014-2016 EcoD ECM and use it for my 2017 with no issues after it’s been tuned by PPEI or GDE? Found a lot of possible units I can get for a good price, and would prefer to have the stock ecm on hand as a safety net.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think the ECM is tied to the vehicle VIN number.
With GDE, you can send the ECM back in to get the VIN/programming updated (VIN updating used to be $150, but check with GDE for current pricing).
I would imagine that PPEI would also be tied to the VIN.

As a side note: Gassers use an entirely different ECM than the EcoD

OP
OP
Shawn226

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I think the ECM is tied to the vehicle VIN number.
With GDE, you can send the ECM back in to get the VIN/programming updated (VIN updating used to be $150, but check with GDE for current pricing).
I would imagine that PPEI would also be tied to the VIN.

As a side note: Gassers use an entirely different ECM than the EcoD

Yes I know gde will update the vin for the ecm, I have an inquiry in to ppei about it, as well, I feel if gde can update it, ppei can as well. That would be the only issue holding it back then?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm guessing GDE can update the ECM to use in your '17, I know the programming is different between the '14-'16 and '17-'18 but I think the ECM is the same.

OP
OP
Shawn226

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Okay, I’ll reach out to them and see. Ppei just said I’d have to have the dealership install the ecm, flash it to be vin specific so, idk how much they will be willing to do that, or if they will automatically flag me then. Idk