Where to start for performance upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I just bought a new to me 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 6.7 Diesel. This is the second diesel in my family, first is my dad's 2016 colorado. We are all gearheads to a degree, but always had gassers, so diesel is a bit of a change from what we know.

I'm sure that a tuner of some kind is required before anything else can be done. I'd like to put an upgraded intake, and exhaust on it, preferably without the emissions parts. Would love to see the MPG numbers higher. I have read that the transmission (68RFE) can't take anymore than 800 ft/lbs. I'm guessing the only way around that issue is to buy a beefed up version, or do a swap to the AISIN?

I like to do things right, may not be able to afford the top dollar components for everything, but would like to try. Where should I start, and what is the best place to get information?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
JM: I - probably the only 1 - who is curious!

Are these mods YOU feel you NEED to help with future medium to heavy towing & possibly help with reliability issues?

Or

Are they only wanted for bragging/going fast & black smoke?

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
JM: I - probably the only 1 - who is curious!

Are these mods YOU feel you NEED to help with future medium to heavy towing & possibly help with reliability issues?

Or

Are they only wanted for bragging/going fast & black smoke?

I really doubt I’ll need more power than the 2500 has. If I ever get to that point, I’ll buy a dually. I don’t know much on reliability, that’s something I’d like to research more. I would assume the emissions would reduce the engine life, but that’s just a guess.

Going fast and bragging rights I leave to my motorcycle. If I understand correctly, a cloud of black smoke is just wasting diesel. I would rather have something properly tuned. Though I will admit there has been a few occasions already where I’d like to black smoke someone.

I’ve seen a friends 2500 with the 5.9 go from 15-16 mpg to 21-22 mpg after the delete, and that does sound appealing, along with not having to think about def fluid anymore.

I have no intentions of trying to drag race a 3/4 ton diesel truck. As my dad put it,”If I pull up next to someone in an identical vehicle, I want to know I have the edge on them”

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Everyone looks at deleting differently. Need I remind you that removing the emissions stuff is "federally illegal" for the truck to be used on public roads. With that being said if one day the emissions stuff "fell off" the truck that wouldn't be a bad thing. Tuning wise I would look into ez lynk or efi live for a platform then find a good tuner (I would recommend CTT). Mileage will improve as well. Trans tuning can help a lot as well. As far as an intake I would say s&b or afe but it is something you could hold off on for a bit. Hopefully this was somewhat helpful and if you respond ill try to come back and answer questions

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Everyone looks at deleting differently. Need I remind you that removing the emissions stuff is "federally illegal" for the truck to be used on public roads. With that being said if one day the emissions stuff "fell off" the truck that wouldn't be a bad thing. Tuning wise I would look into ez lynk or efi live for a platform then find a good tuner (I would recommend CTT). Mileage will improve as well. Trans tuning can help a lot as well. As far as an intake I would say s&b or afe but it is something you could hold off on for a bit. Hopefully this was somewhat helpful and if you respond ill try to come back and answer questions

I'm still a little on the fence on the deleting subject, knowing that it isn't technically legal. I'm looking at possibly next year for doing anything like this. Especially after realizing that a quality tuner is going to cost over $1000, then you have to buy another $500 pack to go with it. I've heard EFI is supposed to be one of the better tuners out there, but sounds like there isn't a lot of side by side comparisons of these things out there. Also heard some good things on Anarchy tuners from some other forums.

My buddy has EZ Lynk on his powerstroke, and says the good thing about that system, is you can use it for multiple vehicles. So if my dad decided to do some tuning to his duramax, we would just have to buy a package with GM tunes for it. Is that correct, or would the same thing be true for EFI?

From what I hear, the stock intake on these trucks is pretty good. Only real change would be increased turbo whistle. It sounds like the S&B is the way to go for those, just not sure if I want dry or oiled filter.

If I did delete the truck, I would want to keep the stock muffler in place for noise reduction, and to keep the truck looking stock to inspectors. It's worked for my powerstroke buddy anyway. I do pull a travel trailer into quiet parks, so having a straight pipe diesel there is just inconsiderate IMO.

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm still a little on the fence on the deleting subject, knowing that it isn't technically legal. I'm looking at possibly next year for doing anything like this. Especially after realizing that a quality tuner is going to cost over $1000, then you have to buy another $500 pack to go with it. I've heard EFI is supposed to be one of the better tuners out there, but sounds like there isn't a lot of side by side comparisons of these things out there. Also heard some good things on Anarchy tuners from some other forums.

My buddy has EZ Lynk on his powerstroke, and says the good thing about that system, is you can use it for multiple vehicles. So if my dad decided to do some tuning to his duramax, we would just have to buy a package with GM tunes for it. Is that correct, or would the same thing be true for EFI?

From what I hear, the stock intake on these trucks is pretty good. Only real change would be increased turbo whistle. It sounds like the S&B is the way to go for those, just not sure if I want dry or oiled filter.

If I did delete the truck, I would want to keep the stock muffler in place for noise reduction, and to keep the truck looking stock to inspectors. It's worked for my powerstroke buddy anyway. I do pull a travel trailer into quiet parks, so having a straight pipe diesel there is just inconsiderate IMO.

I don't have a lot of truck to truck swapping the tuner. You should be able to use the platform on other trucks all you'll likely need to do is buy the credits for for your truck. Again I don't know much about the ez lynk as it is still new to me but depending on the efi autocal/V2 you can use their "box" and buy credits for your truck (~$150) then tuning (~$400- $700'With trans tuning').

I believe they sell "delete pipes" so you can just take out the you know what and still have your stock system.