Which Brake Controller for 2011 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which one do you like and why?

I'll have to put it in. Any advice on installation would be greatly appreciated.

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If your truck has the tab for an integrated controller I’d get an OEM and put it in. I did that with a ‘19 1500 I had. Plenty of YouTube videos to help on the install.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Irish. I called the local dealership earlier today. The OEM unit is backordered until at least January. They wanted $530 to put it in.

I should have said that in my original post. My bad.

I'll have to go aftermarket.

I looked under the dash. There are 2 empty plugs, right where they should be. I'd like for it to fit in thatblittle cubby if possible.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As someone who despises anything OEM from dodge, This is something you dont want to go aftermarket.

They are tons in junk yards. Go pull one.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used aftermarket brake controllers in other vehicles I've own without any problems at all. If the truck didnt come with a factory installed brake controller I put an aftermarket in using the factory harness. One thing I will say though, dont buy a cheap one. As far as a recommendation is concerned, I used Tekonsha controller's I got from a buddy that worked at an auto parts store back in the day. My last two trucks (11 Ram & current 21 Ram) have the factory installed controllers

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
TEKONSHA P3 BRAKE CONTROLLER. 160 bucks on Amazon. Probably one of if not the best aftermarket controller. Have used it on work trucks and personal in the past. As long as you order for your year truck it will be plug and play.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TEKONSHA P3 BRAKE CONTROLLER. 160 bucks on Amazon. Probably one of if not the best aftermarket controller. Have used it on work trucks and personal in the past. As long as you order for your year truck it will be plug and play.
X2

I love my P3. Make sure you order the right wiring harness for your year truck. They all vary slightly.

One piece of advice. NEVER cheap out on safety equipment like brake controllers, hitches, and receivers. It's not worth your or your families life.

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get an OEM one out of a junkyard, don't you have to have it activated by the dealer? There's one not far from me, but I'm not sure what all parts to grab and if I needd the truck flashed afterwards.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
If you get an OEM one out of a junkyard, don't you have to have it activated by the dealer? There's one not far from me, but I'm not sure what all parts to grab and if I needd the truck flashed afterwards.

You don't need it activated for the 2009 - 2012's, it will work fine. The only thing the flash does is enable the settings to be viewed in the EVIC, you still can't control it with the steering wheel controls. I ran mine for well over a year before I flashed it.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oooooh, junkyard. I hadn't thought of that.

I'd go with the OEM, but like I said, you can't get one. And who knows when they'd be available. I'll check around junkyards.

If the junkyard hunt doesn't work out, is the TEKONSHA P2 the functional equivilant of the P3 without allthe extra gadgetry that I probably won't use? (I don't mind spending more, if I'm getting more; plus I don't want to get mired down in technology for no real reason)

Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen. Keep it coming.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ve been striking out at the junkyards. If anyone has an inside line on an OEM controller please let me know. I think in a few days I will order the Tekonsha P2.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I’ve been striking out at the junkyards. If anyone has an inside line on an OEM controller please let me know. I think in a few days I will order the Tekonsha P2.
here you go

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is that the only part I'd need? There's one about an hour from here. I was thinking about getting some interior parts as well.

I didn't know the gen 4.0 (09-12) came with an entertainment system for the back seat that had a PS2 in it, but this truck has one.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Is that the only part I'd need? There's one about an hour from here. I was thinking about getting some interior parts as well.

I didn't know the gen 4.0 (09-12) came with an entertainment system for the back seat that had a PS2 in it, but this truck has one.

Make sure you get the wire connectors and the bezel also. most of the 2009's didn't come with both wire connectors, only one, and you need to wire in the other connector. There is a video on youtube that walks you through it. They only make two bezels, one black, one tan, to match the dash color

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks Irish. I called the local dealership earlier today. The OEM unit is backordered until at least January. They wanted $530 to put it in.

I should have said that in my original post. My bad.

I'll have to go aftermarket.

I looked under the dash. There are 2 empty plugs, right where they should be. I'd like for it to fit in thatblittle cubby if possible.
Dealership at the time told me they were back ordered too. Can’t remember where but I got an OEM on line quickly…maybe EBay? $530 to install is way over priced even for a dealership.

OP
OP
RLJ10X

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
10 years ago when I bought the truck, I didn’t have a trailer with brakes, didn’t know what a Brake Controller was. Dodge put on the receiver hitch and the wiring. Back then, a factory controller probably cost $100. But Noooo. Lol. That’s what you get with a plain Jane truck off the lot. The next truck is going to be ordered.

Impatience got the better of me. Fed Ex is delivering a P2 today.

tbaxl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just installed the factory controller in my 2011, they are out there you just have to dig.
I got mine from MoparPartsGiant.com, it is oem and and looks/works great not to mention its is not a knee knocker like aftermarket.
I would recommend checking under the dash for the two plugs you need for factory, if not there then aftermarket is easier to install.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Been running a Tekonsha P3 for over 10 years that I purchased through Etrailer.com and I also bought the pigtail to connect to the factory connector. A few years ago it started acting up on me so I contacted Tekonsha and they sent me a brand new one at no cost to me. I've used this controller on 2 different trucks and had no issues with them other than what I mentioned previously. Most problems I've experienced over the years has been with the trailer wiring and not the controller.