which class Tow hitch should i go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flashburn66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up my 2wd 2017 ram 1500 SLT with a 5.7 Hemi. It has the electrical connections on the back bumper for towing, but no tow hitch. I eventually will be wanting to tow a toy hauler down the road, but in the meantime, i may tow a trailer to the dump every now and then or a flatbed trailer with some quads or a buggy.

I have narrowed it down to a class IV or a class V hitch. from what i am understanding my truck can tow approx 8160lbs. a class IV can tow up to 10k or a class V can do up to 12k i think. am i over doing it if i go with a class V?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Hey Everyone,

I just picked up my 2wd 2017 ram 1500 SLT with a 5.7 Hemi. It has the electrical connections on the back bumper for towing, but no tow hitch. I eventually will be wanting to tow a toy hauler down the road, but in the meantime, i may tow a trailer to the dump every now and then or a flatbed trailer with some quads or a buggy.

I have narrowed it down to a class IV or a class V hitch. from what i am understanding my truck can tow approx 8160lbs. a class IV can tow up to 10k or a class V can do up to 12k i think. am i over doing it if i go with a class V?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
IV will handle all your truck can take. V comes on the 2500/3500.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bit of overkill. But then again, you won't ever have to worry about the hitch not performing. :)

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory hitches are class IV correct? I thought I read somewhere they were called IV but were actually III.

OP
OP
F

Flashburn66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Lol I don't know if the towing I do will make a difference depending on what hitch I go with, but the way I was looking at it as kinda like you would with More power. You may never need it but its always nice to have more. (Kinda like Tim Taylor from home improvement Ho Ho Ho More power!) plus the cost difference between the class IV and V is only $7.18 more. I think I will end up going with the class V. Thank you guys so much for the input. I do appreciate it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Keep in mind that a Class V is a 2.5" receiver. The larger ball mounts can cost more than 2" counterparts and you can get more slop using a 2.5" to 2" adapter sleeve. Some WDH may recommend against using an adapter sleeve.
As others have said, a Class IV has more capacity than a half ton can handle.

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Keep in mind that a Class V is a 2.5" receiver. The larger ball mounts can cost more than 2" counterparts and you can get more slop using a 2.5" to 2" adapter sleeve. Some WDH may recommend against using an adapter sleeve.
As others have said, a Class IV has more capacity than a half ton can handle.

First I've heard of an "adapter sleeve." How do they work and where does one buy they. I'm awaiting delivery of an '18 2500. Thanks

David

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
First I've heard of an "adapter sleeve." How do they work and where does one buy they. I'm awaiting delivery of an '18 2500. Thanks

David
It’s just a metal sleeve that slides into the receiver. If you get a 2.5” hitch it won’t be needed. As said. Class IV uses a 2” and class V uses 2.5”. 2.5” is more expensive as it’s heavier duty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
First I've heard of an "adapter sleeve." How do they work and where does one buy they. I'm awaiting delivery of an '18 2500.
^^^ what he said
If I remember correctly, my buddy got one with his 2500 truck, maybe someone with a 2500/3500 will chime in.
My buddy did buy a 2.5" adjustable ball mount as his truck sat higher than his previous.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
^^^ what he said
If I remember correctly, my buddy got one with his 2500 truck, maybe someone with a 2500/3500 will chime in.
My buddy did buy a 2.5" adjustable ball mount as his truck sat higher than his previous.
Yeah my 2500 came with the adapter. Since you purchased a new class V. It Very well include the adapter.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Reading that yeah. But it is amazon so you may not really know. But I’m positive a true class V is 2.5” and IV is 2”. Either way it’ll haul whatever it is you need to move.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Reading that yeah. But it is amazon so you may not really know. But I’m positive a true class V is 2.5” and IV is 2”. Either way it’ll haul whatever it is you need to move.

Amazon is correct this time...lol
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/15572
Most hitch receiver manufacturers denote a Class V as 2.5"

Hd74ica

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It’s just a metal sleeve that slides into the receiver. If you get a 2.5” hitch it won’t be needed. As said. Class IV uses a 2” and class V uses 2.5”. 2.5” is more expensive as it’s heavier duty.

I assume that this sleeve will work with a weight distribution hitch? Thanks.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I assume that this sleeve will work with a weight distribution hitch? Thanks.

You'll get mixed responses on that question. From personal experience and using one for the past year and a half, yes you can use the adapter with wdh. Whether or not you should do it is up to the individual. Some hitch oems say you cannot I understand.

I could not find an adjustable drop shank deep enough for my 2500, compatible with my current hitch head, so I went with a 2" curt adjustable drop shank. It's extremely heavy to handle, solid steel.

I will say using the adapter is a pita and I've almost forgot it in several times and remembered at the last minute when doing a final walk around or it'd be on the side of the road somewhere.

I have used it once so far with my 6k TT with no weight bars connected and it was a lot more sloppy than with wdh connected. Also the hitch pin sometimes gets hung up when trying to remove it if everything is not aligned correctly.

I may look for a 2.5" drop shank again eventually but for my 7 or so camping trips per year the adapter works fine.

Yes if you buy your truck new it should have one in the area under the rear seat. Make sure yours does before you take delivery. One reason I elected to stay with 2" shank is if my truck ever broke down anyone with a 2" receiver could get my trailer home for me. A lot more trucks have 2" receivers. Just my .02.