Which DEF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've been driving so little for the last 6 months I'm still running on the 2.5 gallon jug I put in back in Nov. Still have about 1/2 tank of DEF left.
I'll probably just buy 1 gallon jugs at wallyworld next time I need to add some. They're only $4.42 and it'll probably last another 6 months.

Hmm the $4.42 is listed as a single gal. The 2.5gal is $7.88, I been using it after the first refill with Blue. 28K miles an no issues. As already said, it flies off the shelf and no worries on getting old. The DEF tank is 5.5g, so when it gets to half, I just get a 2.5g bottle, this way no chance of over filling.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I know it's not going to get old on the store shelf I'd rather just add 1 gallon until such time I'm driving enough that it doesn't just sit in my truck's tank for 9+ months.

ljmasonwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
My dealer said that cold doesn't actually effect the DEF as much as the heat... not sure I believe that as the DEF has a line heater and no cooler.

In any case, the DEF nozzle at my diesel pumps fits my DEF filler neck just fine. It can't fill at full flow rate without splashing all over, so I fill it slowly.

BTW, I've seen a few post that said the poster was using the plastic funnel located with the jack... it is NOT for filling DEF. It is an accessory funnel to fill the diesel from a container... most spouts on containers won't open the flap valve inside the diesel filler neck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My dealer said that cold doesn't actually effect the DEF as much as the heat... not sure I believe that as the DEF has a line heater and no cooler.
Keeping DEF stored at temperatures under 75°F it can have a shelf life of up to 2 years, storing in temperatures of 95°F can reduce it's shelf life to 6 months.
As for the line heaters, those are thaw the DEF in below freezing conditions. DEF has a slush point of 12°F