Which do you think is better for higher MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klodge741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. Is it better to baby the gas to get better MPG'S.

2. Or do you stab the gas to get up to speed faster.

It may be a silly question but these are the things that go though my head when sitting in traffic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
BMW did a study on this a while back. They determined it's more efficient to accelerate briskly up to speed vs a slowly creeping up to speed.
For the non-believers that feel the need to slooooowly accelerate up to speed...stay &@&#$# out of the left lanes too.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I go moderately in most cases. More than an idle, more than slow speed but not WOT.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Third option: not worry about it either way. The difference is going to be negligible, especially driving a 7k pound vehicle.

That said, the best mpg is virtually always going to be the fastest speed in the highest gear at the lowest RPMs possible. So getting up to speed as quickly but as reasonably as possible is going to be best up to final gear.

R

Rogues Gambit

BMW did a study on this a while back. They determined it's more efficient to accelerate briskly up to speed vs a slowly creeping up to speed.
For the non-believers that feel the need to slooooowly accelerate up to speed...stay &@&#$# out of the left lanes too.

They see me coming, they see me flashing and other than that one *******, they move the **** outta the way

Beerwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I seem to do a couple of MPG better if I accelerate quickly (not WOT). I only go slow when I am behind a Prius. Truck seems to use a lot more fuel pushing Prius along, must be the heavy batteries.

R

Rogues Gambit

Its so bad anymore.. *******'s in the left lane that think they own it.. won't move over. Instead of the Purge I'd settle for Bumper Tag Day

Worse is they finally move over a mile from your exit and flip you off as they're going 70 when everyone does 80

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wide open throttle to the speed limit, then cruise control home. My Hemi loves it, I love it, we all love it.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its so bad anymore.. *******'s in the left lane that think they own it.. won't move over. Instead of the Purge I'd settle for Bumper Tag Day

Those people need to all be put on cruise ships that are sent out into the ocean and never come back.

OP
OP
klodge741

klodge741

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the Imput. I wish i had more open road to be able to WOT to speed. It anyone is from the p huh illy area know the hell of driving on I95. But even with that I am sitting around 17.5MPG. Which I dont think is to bad for the amount of traffic I sit in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk