Which springs for the front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
SO I'M a farmer & I have the very 1st 1989/88 . It was sold at the Lampasas Tex. dealership.
I need to over haul the steering components in it's front end . A. What'll it cost me in parts .
Not as worried about the labor .
B. What springs should I use. It's a 2 wheel drive as all the very 1st ones were 2wd. But I don't want it raked or Hell I don't even want it level in the front end .. I'd rather have it with an inch or 2 lift in the front But I don't want it too ride stiff.
.. But I feel I need ball joints , all the tie rod ends, drag link , idler & Pitman arm. & Any other item I've forgot.
Let's leave shocks out of this question. Don't add alignment..& Don't add labor.
... Thanks in advance Guys .

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
This old post of mine just popped up. & I'm going to ask this question again.
I've not done anything to this old truck . Except crank it about once a month in my shop .
I guess I have added a ugly flat bed to it . As I plan for it to become a Rat Rod.
BUT WHAT I'm trying to figure out .. It needs front coil springs .
Can someone give me a thought on what to buy. This is a Diesel motor . Not sure I said that in my 1st post.
The entire front end will need all new parts . I was hoping someone would have a web sight where you buy your stuff At a great price. This old truck will not get many miles on it but I'd like for it to handle well with new parts.
... I'm trying to find an old Studebaker pick-up cab to use.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
OK DO ANY OF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE in this situation.
I need to replace my front coil springs . Mine is a light weight D2500.
I'd like for it to have a slight lift in the front.
Mine is not level & It's drupped in the front also .
I was at the tech tonight picking up a different ride .
& I ask the young man how he'd lift my front end . He said buy new spring & use the 2inch Rubber circle puck lift that goes under the spring .
Is that what any of you'd do..
.... & Where would you buy the front springs.
DOES any one have a part number you believe would be the best one to use.
..... I'd thought of ordering the biggest 1 ton front 2 wheel drive spring I can find .
But I'm wondering if I really need 2inches of lift pucks if I get the 1 ton springs .
Can Any one add a thought .

Larry Wise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 24v Cummins
Maxtrac suspension sells springs that will bring it up 2 inches, I wouldn't recommend adding the leveling spacers. they ride rough and stiff.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
this is Really the very 1st pickup sold in 1988 ..... At one dealership...
But their called 1989's ..
.. Auto Zone say their FCS 72265 Is a H/D duty coil spring made by DURA LIFE ...
........LARRY WISE HOW do you feel these springs WOULD COMPAIR TO YOUR MAXTRAC.
.. i DIDN'T COME UP WITH A NUMBER FOR MAXTRAC.

Last edited:

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
I put the Moog 7226S coils in my diesel D250. Claimed to be 'severe duty". Raised it up a little. I wouldn't buy anything less.

IMO, rebuilding the 'whole front end' is a waste of time and money. Do some greasing and prying to see what's actually worn out and just change that. Usually no need to re-align either.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
u2slow .... Now you sound like me . But I guess this is because I owned that parts store for 30 year.
... My way of doing the front end .. If I removed it I just replaced it . & When I owned the store ... I could just replace my tie rods once a year & send the old one back defective if it was at all worn. & To be truthful If any of the Brand Representative came buy wanting me to sell their goods . & I needed a new set of shocks . They wrote me a credit for a new set & I installed them on my Truck & & I could tell people how good they were . Most were good but some I dropped .
.....SO What i'm saying IF I PUT IN NEW SPRINGS tHEN i'LL PUT NEW Ball joints .
But I'd not replace the tie rods But one at a time .. Just check them from time to time & replace one at a time .
......................................................................................
.........................................................................................
... Now the other part of this old Pick-up .. I'm going to call it a 1988 with a diesel in it .
But the very 1st diesel truck that was sold in my town I road in it the very 1st day .
& They told me it was really a 1988.
But my story on this old truck .It came from down around Lampasas Tx.
& the old man that bought it was an OLd German Farmer . & He was old back in 1988 .& He passed at over 95.
But It never had a Goose neck hitch in it . But he did pull Oat & Wheat & Milo trailer on his app 200ac farm .
.... & Have I mentioned it's rocky around his farm ... AKA VERY ROCKY.
so as he got older . He did his best to never miss a tree or a rock as he drove by . It was dented on every inch .. SO Trust me this front end is completely worn out .
But I'll still check it one piece at a time.
BUT i WANT NEW SPRING IN IT & IT SETTING UP SOME .

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
All you really have to know is the front suspension rating. The 3800+ is whats called the HD or '4000#' in the parts listings. These use the lower control arms with the deeper pocket for the longer coil spring and shock. All the joints and bearings are bigger than the light-duty stuff. This heavier-jointed suspension has been in use since the 70's, and is the basic equipment on any cummins D250 I've owned. IMHO, its not very HD at all... the serviceable bits just last better under the heavy engine.

The upper control arms are one of the more fragile pieces. Balljoints don't 'stay' in them well. Tended to rust and crack. They were reinforced somewhat for 92-93. I replaced one for a buddy that spontaneously folded (rusted thin) and I welded a chunk of rebar into one of mine to save it.

IMO, its wise to have a spare pair of balljoints on hand anytime you need to separate the knuckle. The steering bits are easier to re&re on an as-needed basis.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The upper control arms are one of the more fragile pieces. Balljoints don't 'stay' in them well. Tended to rust and crack. They were reinforced somewhat for 92-93. I replaced one for a buddy that spontaneously folded (rusted thin) and I welded a chunk of rebar into one of mine to save it.

IMO, its wise to have a spare pair of balljoints on hand anytime you need to separate the knuckle. The steering bits are easier to re&re on an as-needed basis.

I had to put spot welds on the upper arms to hold in the balljoints. I haven't witnessed any visible differences on the upper arms comparing my 72,72,78 and 92 parts. considering the lack of after market parts and rapidly dwindling supply of gen 1s at pick and pull, I have 2 complete sets of uppers and lowers on 'stand by' for spares.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
I haven't witnessed any visible differences on the upper arms comparing my 72,72,78 and 92 parts.

My '93 parts truck still has the factory uppers with an extra doubler/stiffener welded in. They fit the same.

I know these suspensions are ill-suited for hard use. I'm trying to target my 2wds for DD service.... should be easier on the parts. There's stronger 2wd setups if I need to build out a dumptruck or similar.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
reek do you have a link to those Double Stiffeners your talking about . I hit the search button & didn't pull up any thing

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
not sure what you mean by double stiffeners? I just 'modified' my control arms by welding in the upper ball joints to the control arm with spot welds.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
oK i THOUGHT i READ WHERE YOU USED DOUBLE STIFFNERS .& i DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THAT . Maybe it was someone else.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
reek do you have a link to those Double Stiffeners your talking about . I hit the search button & didn't pull up any thing

I can't find a picture either. I looked at my '93 D250 and I can't tell if the arms are different, being in the truck.

It sounds like its a variation of the factory arm where extra material is welded into the underside. One forum mentioned this style on his '84 D250 crewcab. I'm still not sure if its year or GVWR dependent, or an obsolete Dodge replacement part.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
.... Well I'm not going to worry about it much.
.. I just thought when I read it ...
It was a simple welding trick. But I'll not put 3000 miles a year on my 88 OR 89 OR MY 2000 MIGHT GET 5k PER YEAR .
... BUT I want a much better stance ON MY 89 SO I need new springs & ball Joints for it.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
so It's been a long while since I've been on here about my 1989 tuck. I was sure I'd be into building it already. But I've had way too many blow ups & slow downs. . I even built a new drive way to park both trucks own. .& B=Now I'm stopped with a tractor I was using to build another drive way. The electrical system went completely south . & It's parked outside & It's finally decided to rain or get cold & the wind blow . or both.
I want to get on this build before spring ends.