Which trim level tends to have a higher resale value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What did you say that was different? "They either want them for themselves" is the same thing as saying they (buying new) want the Longhorn for what it is and they know what it costs. I agree with the ease of selling, but I'd venture a guess that in any given local market, the models/trims that sell best new are very likely to sell best used, too.
I'm just saying guys shopping for longhorn are the guys looking for a luxury truck. Unless they are completely brand loyal they'll be checking out the king ranch as well if they want that style interior or even the Nissan platinum as it is similar in the brown leather with real wood trim so they have to compete on pricing. Limited customers would also look at platinums and Denali. I got a huge discount on my limited, but I do agree that different areas have different markets. It just seems at least in my area guys either want a truck to do triple duty as a daily driver/family hauler/truck when you need it so they want all the luxuries or its just a work truck so it just needs to get the job done. Hard to sell the luxury guys on the medium trim and hard to upsell the work truck crowd to pay the extra for a mid level so it's harder to get the money you want out of them. Not saying you can't it just seems to take longer.

Lights_out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think it depends on the region of the country. Colorado? Yes. Florida? Not so much.

This! Not much of a difference here in Alabama either. Maybe 1-2k on a $20k truck at most. When the 4WD cost 3-4k more when new...it's a wash.

Lights_out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I buy and sell a lot of vehicles......golden rule is this.....you don't make money on a vehicle when you sell it, you make the money on it when you BUY it. Get a good deal folks.

Domino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
If you are looking for the best resale for the option that you have chosen, my advise is buy a model that best fits.

I bought a sport that was loaded up with leather and almost every Longhorn option (2010 MY) and that hurt my resale because dealers just went by the model and a few key options. I received no value for all the extras that were not listed in the books as significant adds to the value.

John-e-racer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Laramie!!! Because I have one. I think mid luxury vehicles do the best. Generally people buy used to save money so if budget is tight and you must have leather, Laramie it is

John-e-racer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sadly all rams loose value drastically. You get a good truck for good price but take a hit on resale. As previous guys said Subaru/Toyota hold unbelievable resale value. I think new Tacoma v6 costs the same as my Laramie 5.7 and used Tacoma’s are priced through the roof. I have always owned *** cars and enjoyed the reliability but for a truck I opted for a ram. As presviously stated I feel I got a great deal and good value for the $$$ so taking a hit on resale is fine by me

Lostram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering how my R/T will do on resale since there isn't going to be a single cab for 2019

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
You lose the most with depreciation on a higher priced model. Figure 10% a year for the first 5 years and half of the price of a truck selling for $65,000 will show more of a loss or cost of ownership than a truck that sold new for $35,000.

A different aspect of this with regard to truck are the regular cab work trucks as they tend to take a beating with the type of use they are put to for the most part.

The less I pay for a truck from the dealer the less I will lose from depreciation. My last diesel cost me under $43,000 and others paid over $55,000 for the same truck and guess which owner will be most out of pocket at the time these trucks are sold.

If someone is concerned about depreciation it is usually a good idea to buy a truck coming off a 2-year or 3-year lease as the first owner took the biggest hit.

TommmyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Just saw a report that ram trucks hold the 10 highest resale value. It was the only truck in the top ten

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
You want a truck that will hold value. A HD Cummins. Realistically they’re not that much more expensive than a 1500. Not sure what your needs for a truck are. But could be worth looking into.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Best bet like others say is 2 yes old with less than 20k miles. To answer the trim question it's best to find the midrange bighorn. Depreciation isn't bad and resell will be easier than low end models. High end models will depreciate too much.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
A leasing company factors in the purchase price against the wholesale book value at the end of the lease. The down payment and monthly payments for a two or three year lease will provide an accurate picture of the least expensive model in terms of depreciation.

Also if you go to KBB.com you can take a 2017 truck and get a value estimate. The process can be used to see how much exactly various options add to the resale value of the vehicle. It is based on actual car or truck sales in your area and so it indicates how much people were actually willing to pay for a given trim level and various add-ons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock