Which wheels work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rigs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Does anyone know which, if any, of the factory wheels from later model trucks, like the 20", would work on a 2nd gen 1500 2wd?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know that third-gen 17" wheels will fit. I ended up swapping my 16" Nitros back on because I liked them better and tires were cheaper. I still have the set stacked in my barn and they do make handy weights just in case.

You may or may not have to use different lug nuts. It's been so long that I don't remember.

I might be in a minority here but I really don't like the look of 20" rims, ESPECIALLY on a truck. Too much rim, not enough tire. Makes it look like a Hot Wheels car, LOL.

Also, I did experience a bit of rubbing at full steering with the 17's. Nothing major but the tires on those rims were pretty shot. New tires would probably have exacerbated the problem.

Last edited:

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC, they all have the same lug pattern, BUT, on the second gen 2wd, the hub center is a bit larger so the rims would have to be modded a little to fit. On the second gen 4wd, that isn't an issue.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding is that it's only a MM or two that they need to be enlarged. One of the posts mentioned using a flapper wheel on a drill, so it couldn't have been too much. Was looking at doing it to my '98, but gave it to my brother and he used the stock wheels.

txtrucker75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 5.9
Any of the later model truck wheels will fit your truck because all of them are
5”x5.5”, I don’t think the wheels from the challenger or charger will fit but I may be wrong. But I just put a set of 17” rims from a 2004 Dodge Ram on my 1997 Dodge Ram