Which window replacement most expensive ? passenger or rear on 1500 - need to BREAK INTO MY TRUCK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

preventec47

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
If I have to break into my Truck to get keys locked in, I need to choose between passenger window and
rear cab window on 2015 1500 long bed pickup. What is the cost ? Hopefully I can find a better way.
I am shut down for a whole day, maybe two or more plus hundreds of dollars because I did not have a spare key made.

jcmccahn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually, the windshield may prove the cheapest, due to labor. And you may have insurance to cover it. But then you really can't use your truck until you fix it. I would call a tow company, they usually do lock outs much cheaper than locksmith people.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Many police carry tools to enter vehicles as well.

If you must, break a side window, you can replace that yourself.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It would be cheaper to get a professional to open it up but a slim Jim might work. Or a secret key taped inside a frame rail. Years ago i locked my ‘96 Ram with the keys in it. No idea how but called AAA and the guy came out and wedged the top of the door slightly open. He then slipped a long hook in the trip the door lock. After that I had a “secret key”.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
It would be cheaper to get a professional to open it up but a slim Jim might work. Or a secret key taped inside a frame rail. Years ago i locked my ‘96 Ram with the keys in it. No idea how but called AAA and the guy came out and wedged the top of the door slightly open. He then slipped a long hook in the trip the door lock. After that I had a “secret key”.
My brother had that done once by a company who didn't know what they were doing and they bent the door frame. Not good. He eventually had to pay out of pocket to get the door fixed. Use caution with the door wedge method.

Bandit517

That Trials Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother had that done once by a company who didn't know what they were doing and they bent the door frame. Not good. He eventually had to pay out of pocket to get the door fixed. Use caution with the door wedge method.
The important step is to just wedge enough to get the rod in. I've watched lots of tow truck drivers and police slam the wedge in, then break out the air bag too. End up with an opening big enough to get your arm in.

Pretty much everyone has said what I was going to comment. Last case scenario, a side window will be the best option as you can replace that yourself without having to go to a glass shop. Be mindful that tempered glass shatters into thousands of small pieces and is a royal PITA to vacuum up. I'd suggest duct tape over the entire window you choose to break so it contains as much glass as possible. Hidden key is always cheap insurance just make sure to keep it where you can access it. Also somewhere you know it wont get misplaced from a car wash, rough road or anything like that.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Get your VIN and take it to the dealership and have them cut you a valet key. They can verify you are the owner of the veh. That way you do not have to break in the window and you have your secret key. The key will not be able to start the veh but you can open the doors.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If your not going to call a professional to get you in, break the rear window. Then you can have rear slider installed.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If the FOB is in your truck
call a professional tow truck driver or locksmith
either one will cost less then a window glass & the labor to replace it

as to the person that used the air bag, wedge & the stiff wire

They did it incorrectly
You are suppose to slide the flattened air bag between the door & "B" pillar, easily sliding a wedge or plastic pry bar into the upper corner of the door just a bit will help get the flat air bag further into place.
then you just need to inflate the bag as needed

You would be surprised & maybe even get upset, if you ever saw an auto body shop straighten out the upper part of a door that was tweaked while trying to enter a locked truck

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wonder how he got in.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a key cut then cut ears off and taped into the wiring so I can get into my truck if that happens
The magnetic key holders I do not trust as they can fall off and will be easy to find

physman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know for sure but the front windows are probably cheaper because they are on every model. The back cab windows are only on those models so there are probably fewer of them around and may be harder to obtain the part.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Breaking a window to get into a locked truck seems pretty drastic unless you are stuck on a cutline in 35 below 5 hours from help. There are so many much better options. first of which is Uconnect door unlock, followed by key and or FOB from dealer, followed by locksmith, who can also program a FOB, tow truck and on go the options.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Breaking a window to get into a locked truck seems pretty drastic unless you are stuck on a cutline in 35 below 5 hours from help. There are so many much better options. first of which is Uconnect door unlock, followed by key and or FOB from dealer, followed by locksmith, who can also program a FOB, tow truck and on go the options.
Seriously, a dealer or locksmith can unlock the truck. Unless its on impassible off road trail where nobody else, like a 4wd tow truck or locksmith with 4wd would go, it would be cheaper to have the truck towed to the dealer, or have someone come to you. Unless I was 100 miles from a passable dirt/gravel road and without cell service, I can't imagine any scenario where I'd be breaking any windows to get back in the truck. And if I didn't have cell service I wouldn't be posting the question here. Nobody in their right mind would break a window to get into their car or truck these days. Its stupid.

I gotta ask, why is this being asked of us? He's posted 3 times. The original post is like his first. That makes me suspicious that something else is going on here.

Last edited:

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I would phone someone who does windshield replacements. He should have the tools to remove the windshield from its frame, let you open the cab, and then put the windshield back into place. Only downside is the chance that it will not be 100% watertight when done.

I pay to have 3 keys for every lock and the 3rd one goes into a special lockbox for keys. Not at all expensive if done in advance.

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm stuck. I locked my keys in my truck. What do I do? I post a question on a forum that I'm sure everyone is sitting in front of their computers reading just chomping at the bit ready to answer questions. Seriously? Call a tow truck/locksmith and have him unlock your vehicle. Break a window? Why in God's name would you even consider that?