Which year and Model was best for used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean by "best". If you are talking reliability, I would go with the newest one with the lowest miles.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
14, last year you didn't have to pay to get a new PCM and all the sweating that comes with tuning the new ones because the dealer will find out yada yada yada and you still have the choice to pick 6 speed with a real auto shifter or the 8 speed with the damn rotary gimmicky one :) I have both transmissions so i can talk chit about them hahahaha.
Also important get one with factory 3.92's, and if your are offroading get one the 44-45 transfer case (don't get the one with the 4auto feature) and factory LSD.

Last edited:

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 15 with 125k on the clock back in October. Truck was in great shape underneath. It has the 3.6 in it. Had to do a rocker arm but otherwise truck is great

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree a 14 especially if you can find one with an 8sp and 3.92's and 134A for refrigerant also.

Mine has the 8spd w/ 3.92's but unfortunately mine does have the 1234yf refrigerant. Technically, it's not the biggest issue as auto part stores started carrying it a few months ago, but it's still a little annoying.

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd try for the newest and lowest mileage possible that covers your must have feature list.

Some features were only available in certain years so that may play into your decisions.

Make a list of your must have features and go from there.

For me Android Auto is one feature I would want that is only in the later ones.

Auto 4WD was mandatory

32 gallon tank

Sunroof and sliding glass

Sport

I'd prefer the console shifter from the earlier trucks but 8 speed is a must so that trumps the shifter.

Get the vin for any truck you are interested in and get the build sheet from FCA. I used this extensively when looking for my truck as things like LSD or 32 gallon fuel tank are not easy to verify on a lot.

I ran ongoing searches on auto trader and Kijiji with some keywords that limited the results. I had a few variations running as I really wanted Hydro Blue Sport but was open to a few other colours if I could not find a Hydro Blue. Something like 2018 Ram Sport Blue for example or same but drop 2018 and add yellow or orange etc.

I got a hit on the truck I ended up purchasing from a search result. Wife just happened to call right when I got the e-mail on a low k Hydro Sport and oddly enough she was just about to pass the Ram dealer who had it so she literally swerved in and there it was. She took a quick look at it, grabbed the sales guys card who ran out and called me back to say it was absolutely spotless and exactly what I was looking for so buy it quick. I called the sales guy and bought it over the phone. Funny part is another sales guy took a customer for a spin when my wife left and they were out when I bought it over the phone. The guy came in to work out a deal after his test drive and they were told it just sold while they were out lol. When I went a few days later and picked it up the sales guy who had the customer out came up to me and said well played...we both laughed hard over that one.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has the 8spd w/ 3.92's but unfortunately mine does have the 1234yf refrigerant. Technically, it's not the biggest issue as auto part stores started carrying it a few months ago, but it's still a little annoying.
14 is still an option as my 14 uses 134 I guess it has to be an early 14. If ya go 18 and newer I think some of the AlphaOBD options won't work same goes for turning on the Navigation on a radio that didn't come with it on . Research the automatic 4wd as that is a bit misunderstood and don't work as it used to be thanks to FCA, research

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye