Whine when AC is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally think its something with the A/C clutch and/or compressor.

It doesnt do it with the A/C off. I know the A/C puts a draw on the whole belt system, but the A/C is unique in that its pulley is always spinning anyway so I figured I would hear at least a LITTLE bit with it off, but I dont.

Standing outside the truck when the A/C turns on you can hear the clutch seems a little rough to start. Could be the clutch, could be the compressor or could be both.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it's linked to the AC for sure, but my pulley were on their way out too, so glad this is done.

On mine when cold it doesn't do it for a good minute with AC on, but once the pressure build up in the system as soon I turn off the the HVAC it stop and come back when turn back on. So when at the dealer if they "fix" it make sure you have it on for a good minute before leaving the lot.

I tried to take a video of the noise, but you can barely hear it when I rev it.

OP
OP
C

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I noticed that too, the engine needs to be running a little bit before it starts.

Still feel like that points at the compressor although I suppose the extra load from a pressurized system could make a weak bearing or pulley start to moan and groan.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine (2016 5.7) does the same thing.It's been doing that since pretty much day one.I've never had any AC issues and I live in FL. so AC is always in use

HukBry21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What ended up being the problem? My 2019 does the exact same thing!

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What ended up being the problem? My 2019 does the exact same thing!

This appears to be common. Mine also does this and has been doing this for years now. I've had it looked at a few times and it appears to be something to do with the compressor. I think the compressors are just noisy units. I have ice cold AC and use it year-round in FL.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therapywolf