Whining noise approx. 3 minutes after shutting truck off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RB43TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I searched for something similar to this but couldn't find anything so I apologize if this is something that's already been answered. I've had my 2022 Rebel for a year now. It's always done this so it's not something that just started but I finally just decided to ask. After I park my truck after driving and shut it off, approx. 3 minutes or so afterwards it will make this loud whining noise that lasts about 2 seconds. It's definitely something that I think the truck is supposed to do since it's the exact same sound every time. I've never been able to figure out where the sound is coming from though. I only hear the sound. I don't see anything actually happening. It's not something quiet that you have to listen for, it's actually very audible. Any thoughts?

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2020 Rebel, and it definitely makes noises after I shut it off. The noises do not sound like anything is wrong though. I'm not sure it takes as long as 3 minutes, it seems like mine does it in a shorter time than that, and mine sounds more like a gear or some kind of movement, kind of like the generic cartoon sound a robot makes when it moves its arms, if that makes any sense. I can't say I would call it a whining noise, but you might interpret what I'm hearing as whining and it might be the same thing.

OP
OP
R

RB43TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 Rebel, and it definitely makes noises after I shut it off. The noises do not sound like anything is wrong though. I'm not sure it takes as long as 3 minutes, it seems like mine does it in a shorter time than that, and mine sounds more like a gear or some kind of movement, kind of like the generic cartoon sound a robot makes when it moves its arms, if that makes any sense. I can't say I would call it a whining noise, but you might interpret what I'm hearing as whining and it might be the same thing.
That actually is a good way to describe it "a gear or some kind of movement". I just used whining for lack of a better term. Do you know what it actually is? For me it's the same every time.

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not familiar with the Rebel set up but if it has turbos it would make sense.

Buck416

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I searched for something similar to this but couldn't find anything so I apologize if this is something that's already been answered. I've had my 2022 Rebel for a year now. It's always done this so it's not something that just started but I finally just decided to ask. After I park my truck after driving and shut it off, approx. 3 minutes or so afterwards it will make this loud whining noise that lasts about 2 seconds. It's definitely something that I think the truck is supposed to do since it's the exact same sound every time. I've never been able to figure out where the sound is coming from though. I only hear the sound. I don't see anything actually happening. It's not something quiet that you have to listen for, it's actually very audible. Any thoughts?
Was thinking a turbo but most likely the electric cooling fan kicking in bud

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That actually is a good way to describe it "a gear or some kind of movement". I just used whining for lack of a better term. Do you know what it actually is? For me it's the same every time.

I have no idea what it is lol. Mine does it though. Does yours sound like the same sound or similar sound to the noises your truck makes when you hit remote start? When I hit remote start, right before my truck ignition goes and turns on, it makes those same noises.

OP
OP
R

RB43TD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no idea what it is lol. Mine does it though. Does yours sound like the same sound or similar sound to the noises your truck makes when you hit remote start? When I hit remote start, right before my truck ignition goes and turns on, it makes those same noises.
Not sure about the remote start. I'll give it shot after work and see. I'll also see if I can get a recording of the sound after my drive home.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '18 makes something I would say is more "electronic motor" after a couple minutes, and I assume it is the truck either closing, or opening, some exterior vent to the HVAC system.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s normal. Vents going to sleep.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine makes that motor or actuator noise when i shut my truck off sounds like its coming from my tailgate area maybe the auto lock being actuated.