Whining noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarlosM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have a 2017 1500 with the v8 and 50k miles on it. Today I noticed a very low whine when slowing down not pressing on the brakes. It happens slowing down between 10-20mph for like 2 seconds and then goes away. I tried with the truck on N and I didn’t hear the whine, seems only when on D. Any insight on this?

Mohamed Albana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If u have a 6 speed I have the Same problem I’m at 122k only between 20-35 mph

OP
OP
C

CarlosM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have the 8 speed. It could be wheel baring, idk if torque converter can cause this, I have no idea, im gonna have to take it in to see.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Ive had a whine since new in 2012. And I have an Circle D TQ now and it still does it.

The only thing I can think of is the Power steering pump or Trans Valve Body either way IDGAF anymore, if it hasn't broke in 10year of beating the **** out of my truck im living with it. Its not like a can hear it over the Cam and LTs anymore anyways... lol...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Whaaaat -- no wife jokes yet? I thought that was standard on any whining question? :D

How noticeable (loud) is the whine? Yours doesn't have a P/S pump so we know that's not it -- EPS). It would be helpful to know if it is coming from the front? (engine compartment or driveline), or rear of the vehicle? Probably the best place to start is ensuring all the fluids are where they should be. Have someone drive it while you sit in the pass side ...and/or the drivers rear with the window open to see if you can locate the sound better.

You can put the front up on jackstands and wiggle the wheel (6:00-12:00 positions). Or use a wood stick on the spindle (where the bearing/hub is), and put the other end of the stick tight against your ear. Sound from the bearings will transmit through the stick to your ear. You can hear the bearings inside as the wheel rotates (on jackstands of course). You can usually hear when a bearing sounds 'messy' ...and something is grinding away inside, even if/when it still feels tight. Same thing with the diff and other bearings.

Don't forget to check your truck's idler pulleys and possibly the alternator. Look "up" (from underneath), or use an inspection mirror to see if coolant is leaking out of your truck's water pump weep hole (on the underside of the w/p). If it's wet at all, it's time to change it.

Last edited:

Mohamed Albana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive had a whine since new in 2012. And I have an Circle D TQ now and it still does it.

The only thing I can think of is the Power steering pump or Trans Valve Body either way IDGAF anymore, if it hasn't broke in 10year of beating the **** out of my truck im living with it. Its not like a can hear it over the Cam and LTs anymore anyways... lol...
Same lol been whining since I bought it at 89k it’s OEM at this point

OP
OP
C

CarlosM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Whaaaat -- no wife jokes yet? I thought that was standard on any whining question? :D

How noticeable (loud) is the whine? Yours doesn't have a P/S pump so we know that's not it -- EPS). It would be helpful to know if it is coming from the front? (engine compartment or driveline), or rear of the vehicle? Probably the best place to start is ensuring all the fluids are where they should be. Have someone drive it while you sit in the pass side ...and/or the drivers rear with the window open to see if you can locate the sound better.

You can put the front up on jackstands and wiggle the wheel (6:00-12:00 positions). Or use a wood stick on the spindle (where the bearing/hub is), and put the other end of the stick tight against your ear. Sound from the bearings will transmit through the stick to your ear. You can hear the bearings inside as the wheel rotates (on jackstands of course). You can usually hear when a bearing sounds 'messy' ...and something is grinding away inside, even if/when it still feels tight. Same thing with the diff and other bearings.

Don't forget to check your truck's idler pulleys and possibly the alternator. Look "up" (from underneath), or use an inspection mirror to see if coolant is leaking out of your truck's water pump weep hole (on the underside of the w/p). If it's wet at all, it's time to change it.
I got the wife jokes over on fb 4th gen discussion page. On a serious note tho, the noise comes front the engine area, it barely noticeable, i have to really pay attention to it to hear it. I haven’t checked fluids yet. About coolant leaking, can I tell by just looking under the truck without lifting it?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have you checked the driveshaft for rust around u-joints? Also check your diff(s) for proper fluid level.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Too bad you don't have a dip stick at times like this, at least rule out low tranny fluid.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine whines sounds like a screw blower setting on engine while in any gear in park it quits or I have noticed it also quits when at highway speeds and Torque converter locks. I thought it was TQ but if it same as above like DILLIGAF said I guess its just going to have to deal with it. Fluid/filter change did jack for it so oh well. I guess it will just sound like my hemi has a biga** blower on it LOL

OP
OP
C

CarlosM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Mine whines sounds like a screw blower setting on engine while in any gear in park it quits or I have noticed it also quits when at highway speeds and Torque converter locks. I thought it was TQ but if it same as above like DILLIGAF said I guess its just going to have to deal with it. Fluid/filter change did jack for it so oh well. I guess it will just sound like my hemi has a biga** blower on it LOL
Mine only happens at around 10-20mph while slowing down, it either Hellene when downshift from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used to have an awful whining noise in the front seat too…until I divorced my exwife. Now it’s complete welcomed silence.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had a 66 Mustang that did this, my dad was a mechanic and it turned out to be the pinion bearing it would whine while decelerating and go away when you accelerated.

hlcptr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same issue with my 2017 5.7 Longhorn. I've narrowed it down to colder winter temps, 15-20 minutes out of a warm garage, and engine rpm related. Very intermittent and brief, so its difficult to accurately diagnose. When I get a chance, I'll pull the belt and check the alternator bearings.

Very similar to the well known alternator whine on the Ford F150, 2004 - 2008, on very cold days.

rpr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Similar issue on my 2014 Laramie Limited. Sounds just like a whining power steering pump low on fluid but the truck has EPS. Driver side of engine compartment, intermittent, but when it does it the pitch fluctuates with the rpm.

Anyone figure this out?

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I have the 8 speed. It could be wheel baring, idk if torque converter can cause this, I have no idea, im gonna have to take it in to see.
The fact that D has the noise and N does not certainly seems to indicate something in driveline especially converter.