Whipple 2.9 Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even the HP tuner sometimes doesn’t clear everything.

I would check the oil level, disconnect battery, do a capacitive discharge. Disconnect and reconnect the PCM connectors making sure they are seated all the way, and none of the tabs have popped out. They’re really bad for coming apart.

If you still have issues, maybe try reflashing with HP tuners, and clear adaptive memory with HP tuners.

After that you might have to check that wiring. I would maybe contact whipple before doing that.

Also if you want, you could send me your tune and I’ll compare it to the one whipple sent me and see if I can see anything that may be causing it.

I've checked the PCM connectors (I'll do this more thoroughly this weekend), changed the oil, battery is going to sit disconnected tonight, and I've tried reflashing. Whipple is looking into the programming with HP.

If I can't get it wrapped up by Saturday, it's all coming apart Sunday.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok...I'm pretty much at a loss here now. I pulled everything back off, rechecked all connections, changed oil control valve solenoid, changed camshaft sensor, verified PCM connections were secure and still having the lights. Whipple/HP Tuners say it can't have anything to do with the tune. Could it be the PCM that I ordered from HP?

If I clear the codes the truck drives fine, but when I turn it off and back on, the codes are present.

What could I be missing?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It’s entirely possible the PCM has an internal issue, especially with those dtcs and the fact that it drives fine with no issues.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s entirely possible the PCM has an internal issue, especially with those dtcs and the fact that it drives fine with no issues.

I'll call HP tomorrow again. I still have my original PCM I could send to have unlocked. Are there better places to send for unlock?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'll call HP tomorrow again. I still have my original PCM I could send to have unlocked. Are there better places to send for unlock?

I don’t know if someone else can unlock it and still have it work with hp tuners.

You could try getting the original PCM unlocked and see if that helps.

When you had everything off did you take a good look at the harness that goes to the oil control valve? As well as the connector that’s on the driver side at the back of the head.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t know if someone else can unlock it and still have it work with hp tuners.

You could try getting the original PCM unlocked and see if that helps.

When you had everything off did you take a good look at the harness that goes to the oil control valve? As well as the connector that’s on the driver side at the back of the head.

I did take a good look at them. The connector at the back of the head you're referring to was together but the red retaining clip wasn't snapped in. I was hoping that was my problem. Unfortunately not the case.

What if the pulley turned when I was tightening the cam bolt back? I wouldn't think that could screw up timing, but it's the only other thing I can think of. I used my impact, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have turned a quarter turn or something. I feel like I'm just grasping at ideas now.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You mean the crankshaft bolt, not the camshaft bolt right? From when you drilled it for the pins? It won’t matter if the crank pulley moved slightly when tightening the bolt.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You mean the crankshaft bolt, not the camshaft bolt right? From when you drilled it for the pins? It won’t matter if the crank pulley moved slightly when tightening the bolt.

Haha yes

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not that i have a SC but i have an unlocked pcm and when hemifever did the tuning it was was throwing weird codes , couldnt figure it out for a week he even had to get with the programmers at HP on why it was throwing the fuel sensor codes, rewrite then throw a different fuel sensor code. went from would start but wouldnt start after running for a while to not starting at all. finally sent me a tune and its been good ever since. So I'm just throwin it out there that i think its in your PCM cause the same with mine the OEM was just fine.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Only reason I was curious...instructions say "**DO NOT LET BALANCER ROTATE WHILE TORQUING."

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Only reason I was curious...instructions say "**DO NOT LET BALANCER ROTATE WHILE TORQUING."

Ya, they have that warning in the instructions, but it’s not going to mess with the timing if it moved a little. It’s more for getting the proper torque on the bolt.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya, they have that warning in the instructions, but it’s not going to mess with the timing if it moved a little. It’s more for getting the proper torque on the bolt.

At this point then the only other thing introduced to the system is the unlocked PCM.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drove it...no lights. Damn PCM...now to try to get my money back for the first one.

OP
OP
MaxSteel2013

MaxSteel2013

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s cool I’m glad you finally got that all worked out. Now you can focus on other things like painting. Lol

Maybe I can pay someone after I get my money back haha