Whipple Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the guys running Whipple on 5.7 I have a few questions as I begin my build:

Did you do it yourself, or have a shop do it?

Are you running stock airbox with drop-in filter, Whipple CAI or third-party CAI?
-I am looking at a Volant vs Drop-in as I don't like the open-air style of the Whipple CAI

Do you have a third-party tune, did you dyno tune or did you stick with the Whipple provided tune?

Is there anything you would have done differently to your build?

Thanks!

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds like this will be a good thread to subscribe to.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tach tech, wild one and Matt at Moe's Performance would probably have some excellent information for you. Hopefully they'll see your thread and chime in.
Jay

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’m a licensed tech so I did everything myself.

I’m using the whipple intake, it seals against the hood with some weatherstrip. Obviously not a 100% seal. It does still pull air from the wheel well though.

I’m running a custom tune, the whipple tune ran fine and made power but it was pretty rich and a little high on the timing. ScLeCo also has a whipple and his was actually lean, actually set a code for fuel system lean on the dyno.

I did have it dynoed just for fun. It was the middle of summer, about 30C and still put down 505 to the wheels.

Only thing I really would have done different is running a bigger catch can setup from the start. I had the moroso one and it’s just not big enough for forced induction. It would fill up in less than 800km. I’m now running a Mighty Mouse setup with the smallest hose being a 8an. I get barely any oil in it now, more condensation than anything.

OP
OP
DoubleJ

DoubleJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’m using the whipple intake, it seals against the hood with some weatherstrip. Obviously not a 100% seal. It does still pull air from the wheel well though.

I’m running a custom tune, the whipple tune ran fine and made power but it was pretty rich and a little high on the timing. ScLeCo also has a whipple and his was actually lean, actually set a code for fuel system lean on the dyno.

I did have it dynoed just for fun. It was the middle of summer, about 30C and still put down 505 to the wheels.

Only thing I really would have done different is running a bigger catch can setup from the start. I had the moroso one and it’s just not big enough for forced induction. It would fill up in less than 800km. I’m now running a Mighty Mouse setup with the smallest hose being a 8an. I get barely any oil in it now, more condensation than anything.

I appreciate it! I’ve heard mixed things about a catch can, but it’s nice to hear yours is doing what it’s supposed to. I’m looking at a third party tune, either HemiFever or Greene.

My biggest question right now is if I want to run the Volant air box with the air tube. Just not sure if it’s worth it, but it’s $300 for it or 300 for the whipple CAI...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I appreciate it! I’ve heard mixed things about a catch can, but it’s nice to hear yours is doing what it’s supposed to. I’m looking at a third party tune, either HemiFever or Greene.

My biggest question right now is if I want to run the Volant air box with the air tube. Just not sure if it’s worth it, but it’s $300 for it or 300 for the whipple CAI...

I have installed a few of the Whipple setups in the last year. I like their kits and recommend them to my customers who are shopping for a blower.

When it comes to the supplied tuning from Whipple their tune will get the engine running and it will make some power but I NEVER rely on someone else's tune out of the box. All 5.7's do not run the same. Any time you add forced induction to your motor or make any changes I consider it a MUST to hit the Dyno and see what is going on. We don't want a lean system with a bunch of timing but the only way we will know is to hit the rollers and make a tug.

For the cold air intake I have used drop-in filters for the last 4 Whipple setups I have installed. One I did used the Whipple setup that sealed to the hood with weatherstripping and it didn't seal very well.

OP
OP
DoubleJ

DoubleJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have installed a few of the Whipple setups in the last year. I like their kits and recommend them to my customers who are shopping for a blower.

When it comes to the supplied tuning from Whipple their tune will get the engine running and it will make some power but I NEVER rely on someone else's tune out of the box. All 5.7's do not run the same. Any time you add forced induction to your motor or make any changes I consider it a MUST to hit the Dyno and see what is going on. We don't want a lean system with a bunch of timing but the only way we will know is to hit the rollers and make a tug.

For the cold air intake I have used drop-in filters for the last 4 Whipple setups I have installed. One I did used the Whipple setup that sealed to the hood with weatherstripping and it didn't seal very well.

Thanks for the info! Do you recommend a certain brand for the drop in? I don’t like oiled, so I’ve used aFe and AEM in the past.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

A catch can on a forced induction engine is a must. Having that oil getting into the engine is not good, it can end up causing detonation which worse case scenario can cost you an engine. It also is great at keeping the blower,intake manifolds, and valves clean.

When I first had the whipple on I didn’t have a catch can. I was doing some re-routing of hosed and noticed I was getting oil in the vacuum line that goes to the booster. Getting oil in the brake booster can mess up the diaphragms and cause a loss of power brakes.

Im not sure what mixed things you’ve heard, but there’s really no downside to a catch can other than having to empty it.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
A catch can on a forced induction engine is a must. Having that oil getting into the engine is not good, it can end up causing detonation which worse case scenario can cost you an engine. It also is great at keeping the blower,intake manifolds, and valves clean.

When I first had the whipple on I didn’t have a catch can. I was doing some re-routing of hosed and noticed I was getting oil in the vacuum line that goes to the booster. Getting oil in the brake booster can mess up the diaphragms and cause a loss of power brakes.

Im not sure what mixed things you’ve heard, but there’s really no downside to a catch can other than having to empty it.
I knew I forgot to add something to my post. A catch-can is a MUST on a forced induction motor. I consider a catch-can a must on all of my motors anyways. I'm not sure what mixed reviews he was referring to but the only downside is having to empty it. If you look at the 5.7 hemi with a catch-can versus the one without a catch-can you would be amazed at how much cleaner the combustion chambers are and the tops of the pistons after using one.

For the drop-in filters I like the AEM and the AFE filter. I only use the oil type filters for vehicles that live in severely dusty areas.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can take a look at the intake that Moe's sells for track use--but true to its name I think it is mostly for track use although I think you can put a cone filter on it for street use also. I think they are custom made by Matt for whatever your application is.
Jay

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi

Damn! I spent more than the cost of a whipple kit to get my truck up to 500 WHP... Should have just gone straight to whipple, would have been much simpler and easier, of course I learned a lot along the way but expensive lessons!

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Damn! I spent more than the cost of a whipple kit to get my truck up to 500 WHP... Should have just gone straight to whipple, would have been much simpler and easier, of course I learned a lot along the way but expensive lessons!

What have you done to your truck?

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
ARH LT catless headers (1 7/8") w/true dual exhaust/x-pipe and dual flow-master 40's
Jay Greene .5 HL Cam, upgraded springs, hellcat rollers
Torqstorm SC w/intercooler, kenne bell BAP, 850cc injectors
180 t-stat mechanical fan delete
Jay Greene tune, pedal commander

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I knew I forgot to add something to my post. A catch-can is a MUST on a forced induction motor. I consider a catch-can a must on all of my motors anyways. I'm not sure what mixed reviews he was referring to but the only downside is having to empty it. If you look at the 5.7 hemi with a catch-can versus the one without a catch-can you would be amazed at how much cleaner the combustion chambers are and the tops of the pistons after using one.

For the drop-in filters I like the AEM and the AFE filter. I only use the oil type filters for vehicles that live in severely dusty areas.

What catch can do you recommend?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Since your boosted, personally I would recommend something bigger than the standard billet tech,moroso ones. The hoses are just to small to allow enough flow and you end up filling up the catch can quickly.

Personally I’m running a Mighty Mouse setup. Uses bigger hoses. The catch can has an integrated breather,PCV valve, and
Anti flow back valve as well. They’re not cheap but they’re about as good as you can get.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I like the UPR Catch Cans and their hoses for a naturally aspirated motor. But, like Tach_tech said, I like the Mighty Mouse setup for forced induction motors because of the size of their hoses and their flow capabilities. I have customers who use the Mighty Mouse setups on N/A motors too. They don't fill up as fast. I like the Mishimoto Catch Cans too but not the hoses that come with the kit. I like to use braided hoses as much as possible.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Awesome input guys, really appreciate it! Looks like I've got more fun mods/work to do!