"White knuckle" moment - steep driveway, hard brakes, not stopping!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Start a diary and write down everything including the weather so you do not have to rely on memory
A good tech should be able to filter through and locate problem
Have you tried pumping the brakes to override the ABS

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Bring it back to the dealer show them the pedal goes to the floor ask them to show you another truck that the pedal goes to the floor which they will not find. Call fca corporate from their dealer on their phone make a complaint with them.make them give you a rental tell them to call you when its fixed. Start asking about a buy back. Your gonna get hurt in that thing eventually and none of want to see that happen. Have you contacted ram cares and have them set you up with an app and maybe help with the rental

autumnwalker

Reaction score
I keep thinking about this thread and my experiences in different vehicles. My last two trucks were Hummers with over sized tires and deep gears. I could lock them up (or trigger ABS) at any given moment. Noting, the Hummers had hydro boost.

My H2 had 4.10's and 38" Michelin XML tires. They were 176 lbs each (without the steel wheel they were mounted on). That is WAY heavier and larger than the factory ~ 35" BFG KO2 tires on alloys. The H2 had absolutely no issue stopping, ever. That truck was also a lot heavier than these 1500's - I scaled my H2 loaded out with these tires at just over 8,000 lbs.

The brake system on the RAM should have no trouble stopping a truck with 3.21's and 35" tires. I really don't think that's the issue here.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The brake system on the RAM should have no trouble stopping a truck with 3.21's and 35" tires. I really don't think that's the issue here.
Exactly why I posted this here - to see if anyone else has experienced this in their 4th gen 1500 QC.

Appears it's only a problem in MY truck.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bring it back to the dealer show them the pedal goes to the floor ask them to show you another truck that the pedal goes to the floor which they will not find. Call fca corporate from their dealer on their phone make a complaint with them.make them give you a rental tell them to call you when its fixed. Start asking about a buy back. Your gonna get hurt in that thing eventually and none of want to see that happen. Have you contacted ram cares and have them set you up with an app and maybe help with the rental
IMO, it feels like something is "flexing" in the brake system. I have to push down fairly hard but the pedal never firms up before reaching the stop. I never had another vehicle that felt like this but maybe with ABS it's normal, IDK - that's why I'm asking all of you.

I am on my second "case number" with FCA about this. The first one I posted about several pages above. Dealer had the truck for a week, flushed and bled the brakes twice and said it was all per spec. But upon returning to the mountains a week ago I found it made no difference. In the meantime FCA closed the first case number.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
IMO, it feels like something is "flexing" in the brake system. I have to push down fairly hard but the pedal never firms up before reaching the stop. I never had another vehicle that felt like this but maybe with ABS it's normal, IDK - that's why I'm asking all of you.

ABS or not if you can push the pedal all the way to the floor with the vehicle running or not there is a problem. Even with "panic braking" trying to push the pedal through the floor and the ABS active I couldn't get the pedal to the floor. I was going about 50 mph going downhill when a car pulled out of a driveway, I missed him by about a foot.
If the pedal hits the floor, you are no longer putting pressure (or very little) on the brake pads.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ABS or not if you can push the pedal all the way to the floor with the vehicle running or not there is a problem. Even with "panic braking" trying to push the pedal through the floor and the ABS active I couldn't get the pedal to the floor. I was going about 50 mph going downhill when a car pulled out of a driveway, I missed him by about a foot.
If the pedal hits the floor, you are no longer putting pressure (or very little) on the brake pads.
Yes, agree 100%!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you ever tried the hill again after taking the truck out for a 5-10 mile trip and really warming the brakes up?
Go out drive, then come back and immediately try to duplicate the problem?

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I am on my second "case number" with FCA about this. The first one I posted about several pages above. Dealer had the truck for a week, flushed and bled the brakes twice and said it was all per spec. But upon returning to the mountains a week ago I found it made no difference. In the meantime FCA closed the first case number.
Just be careful my friend. No brakes can go bad in a hurry. But what people are saying is true. That thing should go nowhere near the floor. Even my 32ft Winnebago stops when i slam them on. One time with my rx8 i let a Mechanic take it home for the night so he could hear the rear end whine that know one else could hear. I didnt like doing that but that was the option i was down to. Good luck with it and again please be very careful.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you ever tried the hill again after taking the truck out for a 5-10 mile trip and really warming the brakes up?
Go out drive, then come back and immediately try to duplicate the problem?
Good suggestion but, no, I have not tried that. All the roads leading from our place are basically downhill - so I wouldn't likely use the brakes too much going back up. Not sure how fast they cool.

Are you suspecting something?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good suggestion but, no, I have not tried that. All the roads leading from our place are basically downhill - so I wouldn't likely use the brakes too much going back up. Not sure how fast they cool.

Are you suspecting something?

You can always do a couple of quick stops just before you get to your driveway.
Well, if it still does it hot then you can rule out cold brakes and high engine idle speed. You can also see if the pedal feels the same.
That would be good info to tell the dealer also as it should definitely be able to stop with dried out warm brake pads.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know something is def.wrong & the dealer won't take care of you ....but maybe you should take it to a shop that you trust and let them have a say??

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've been following this thread from the beginning to see what shakes out on this before throwing in my 2¢.

It doesn't sound like your getting anywhere with a diagnosis, nor with your dealer.

With two motorcycles in the bed, and 8000 lbs of machine tools trailered behind my 2013 sport, going 80mph down Snoqualmie Pass, in the northern Cascades, I can easily send my abs into a tizzy.. tires screeching, abs humming and leaving dotted line skidmarks. And all without any possibility of pushing the peddle to the floor.

You almost certainly have air in the lines somewhere, that your dealer missed. Just becaused they may have already tchecked that, doesn't mean they did it right. It could possibly be a faulty abs module, but air contamination is alot more probable.

The dealer is probably hoping to stall you out of warranty.
Make them replace the entire brake system if necessary. Be forceful, and get it done asap.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everyone for your input, comments and suggestions.

I have an appointment at a different dealership next week accompanied by an escalated FCA case number. I will report the result here when I have it.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I know something is def.wrong & the dealer won't take care of you ....but maybe you should take it to a shop that you trust and let them have a say??

Thanks everyone for your input, comments and suggestions.

I have an appointment at a different dealership next week accompanied by an escalated FCA case number. I will report the result here when I have it.

I agree with co-pilot, glad to hear you're going to a different shop. Having "Flintstone" style brakes (you older guys know what I mean) doesn't cut it.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with co-pilot, glad to hear you're going to a different shop. Having "Flintstone" style brakes (you older guys know what I mean) doesn't cut it.
OK guys, I took it in to another dealer yesterday morning with a scheduled appointment. Didn't hear anything as of COB last night (when the work order said it would be ready). Didn't hear anything all day today so at 7:00pm (closing time) I called to see what's going on.

This is the second dealer I have taken it to and the second dealer who has been strangely silent (previous dealer had it 6 days).

Repair advisor said the shop foreman is "looking at it because he has the most experience". He said the foreman "feels something" in the brakes but now has to "check other trucks to compare". That seems a little odd to me.

What I think this means is that OTHER trucks may have this problem too. There may be a design issue here and hopefully they are working with FCA to figure it out (I have a claim with FCA on it).

Those of you with 4th gen 1500s please test your brakes. With engine running, and a bit of effort, can you push your brake pedal all the way down to the floor? If you can you have the same problem. If you get onto a steep hill, tow a trailer or have a panic braking situation you may not be able to stop.

Please report back!

Last edited:

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is ridiculous. Tell FCA you have hired an attorney and you want this fixed or a new vehicle. This is a safety issue!!!!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963