"White knuckle" moment - steep driveway, hard brakes, not stopping!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you may be reading more into it than there is.
He may have felt "something" and wanted to check it against other trucks, just means he wants to see if what he feels is different or if he is chasing his tail on nothing. Not that there is a design issue and he is working with FCA to find a fix for every 4th gen made.

My 2016 doesn't allow the pedal to go the whole way to the floor. At least not to the limit stop.
I have had a couple of times when I had a hard time stoping - and literally mean a couple.
1. Cold wet brakes from sitting and first application of brakes - going down a steep hill.
2 when towing the boat, but the trailer brakes hadn't been warmed up and dried out yet and weren't up to par.

I haven't tried to lock them up, but to be honest, ever since they removed the asbestos from brake pads they just don't seem to work as well to me - could also be newer ABS systems for the feeling though.
ABS today and ABS from years ago just feels totally different to me. I am not a fan of either, but I guess on paper at least they do stop quicker and of course you still have steering vs. locking them up.

At least they are taking their time and going over it, I am surprised though that they haven't tried replacing the pads and rotors - glazed pads and rotors will act like what you describe as can other pads that might perform better when really hot but not so much when cool.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you may be reading more into it than there is.
He may have felt "something" and wanted to check it against other trucks, just means he wants to see if what he feels is different or if he is chasing his tail on nothing. Not that there is a design issue and he is working with FCA to find a fix for every 4th gen made.
This truck has been like this since it was new. I've been chasing the problem since I first discovered it (this thread opened over a year ago). If MY truck came from the factory this way then it's possible OTHER trucks are also affected. This is how recalls begin.

There was no word again today. If this was something simple I would expect the most experienced guys in the dealership to know how to fix it - but it seems they don't. "Midas" can change brake pads, rotors and flush the system in a couple of hours - this truck's been in two dealerships for 9 days so far and still isn't fixed.

At least they are taking their time and going over it, I am surprised though that they haven't tried replacing the pads and rotors - glazed pads and rotors will act like what you describe as can other pads that might perform better when really hot but not so much when cool.
Glazed pads don't allow the pedal to go to the floor. IMO, there is something wrong in the hydraulic system. Whether that problem is isolated or systemic is TBD.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Chances are they can't duplicate it and it is an issue that they just can't ignore - but it is hard to fix something you can't duplicate. I may be wrong here but that is what I suspect.

And now, they won't just hang parts to try to fix it due to liability.

Didn't it come modified when you bought it? I thought I read that but could be getting mixed up. I just wonder why they didn't just go back to OEM brakes and see if that fixes the issue.

Oh and a while ago, you asked about how can anyone tow a boat if the brakes can't stop the truck with just bigger tires. I can tell you from experience, if your boat trailer brakes aren't working, there is no way to stop the truck/boat combo quickly with just the truck brakes.
IMO, the brakes are barely big/powerful enough to stop the truck itself in stock form - which is surprising considering it is 4 wheel disc.

When it goes to the floor do you hear a click or just run out of travel?

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chances are they can't duplicate it and it is an issue that they just can't ignore - but it is hard to fix something you can't duplicate. I may be wrong here but that is what I suspect.
They already duplicated it - I made sure of that when I dropped it off this time. Three different people tried it and agreed it was not right.

And your point is well taken and also the basis of my point - if everything is to spec that means the DESIGN is bad.

When it goes to the floor do you hear a click or just run out of travel?
Both. Pedal hits the bump stop. I can "bang" the pedal against it. I have to push it down this far when coming down a hill and even then it doesn't stop the truck.

I have been driving 4x4 with oversize tires for ~35 years. NEVER had one I couldn't stop from rolling on a hill. I don't know what would happen if I had to stop fast on the FWY - and that is my biggest concern.

Maybe this kind of thing has been going on for a long time and it has been dismissed as "that's how ABS works". This is NOT how ABS works. It keeps you from skidding - it does not stop you from stopping!

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hay jebb, Why don't you replace the Master Cyl to eliminate that thats not your problem have it bench bleed or blead it once you install in truck, if ABS had a fault you should have a light. you're a better man than me these dealers really don't have a clue most grease monkey Grads!!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't get anywhere near the bottom of travel. You really shouldn't even get close to that point.

Years ago when I was a tech, we could hang parts that we suspected were bad.
Now days with sue happy people and lemon law people, the dealers just won't do it - it actually is less cost and aggravation to have an unhappy customer vs. the liability.
As soon as they hang a part, they admit there is a problem and own it.

Unfortunately, when we have a true problem it is almost impossible to get resolved due to the actions of a few. I feel for you.

If it was a design problem, you would be seeing a ton of reports on it and there just isn't many.

Hopefully they do right by you.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hay jebb, Why don't you replace the Master Cyl to eliminate that thats not your problem have it bench bleed or blead it once you install in truck, if ABS had a fault you should have a light. you're a better man than me these dealers really don't have a clue most grease monkey Grads!!
It's under warranty. I'm not going to let anyone but a dealership touch it right now.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guys, I just got a call from the dealership. "Cannot duplicate". I asked why I can push the brake pedal to the floor and they said, "NORMAL for these trucks" - even though the service manager tried it when I dropped it off and agreed it was NOT normal. Many of you have also said here that your trucks DO NOT do this!

What is going on here? This is BS!!!

OK, guess I need to take it up a notch. Any suggestions?

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take it up with corporate. get document numbers. make a video showing the problem. and lawyer up.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take it up with corporate. get document numbers. make a video showing the problem. and lawyer up.
I have now done all of those things - including getting some info RE the last one.

It's a shame because I really like this truck. I had two other Rams before this one. But now my wife doesn't even want to go around the block in it ...

Last edited:

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The next step is to have an independent shop inspect the brakes. You'll have to do it at your own expense. Find a good shop, someone with a reputation.

Once the independent shop gives you a diagnosis, get it in writing. Take that back to the dealership, and give them a chance to fix it before you file a lawsuit.

If they still refuse, follow through and file suit.

OP
OP
Jebb

Jebb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The next step is to have an independent shop inspect the brakes. You'll have to do it at your own expense. Find a good shop, someone with a reputation.

Once the independent shop gives you a diagnosis, get it in writing. Take that back to the dealership, and give them a chance to fix it before you file a lawsuit.

If they still refuse, follow through and file suit.
Yes, my goal here is to make it right - not to sue someone. But it's frustrating that "everything is to spec" yet I can't stop it on a hill!

I need to take a mechanic in the truck with me so I can show him. Problem is I need to be up in the mountains to do that and there are no Ram dealers up there. Nearest one is an hour+ one-way down the mountain. I would think a panic braking test would also show this - but maybe the slope or elevation of the mountains has something to do with it too, IDK.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yes, my goal here is to make it right - not to sue someone. But it's frustrating that "everything is to spec" yet I can't stop it on a hill!

I need to take a mechanic in the truck with me so I can show him. Problem is I need to be up in the mountains to do that and there are no Ram dealers up there. Nearest one is an hour+ one-way down the mountain. I would think a panic braking test would also show this - but maybe the slope or elevation of the mountains has something to do with it too, IDK.

Use a mechanic that isn't affiliated with Chrysler for the brake inspection. It wont harm your warranty to have a non-Chrysler mechanic check it out. Don't just go to a different dealer.